General You prefer rear tints or full?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pastore, Sunday 19th Jul, 2015.

1. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    don't know if this is right place for this but im having my windows tinted tomorrow, i was gonna get just the rear and the rear sides done in that dark smoke tint but wondering if theres any point in tinting the front side ones for an extra £40?

never tinted a car before so wondering what you guys think? cheers

by the way i got a honda Civic 5 door

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I prefer full with the front ones being lighter. Otherwise you just get this big contrast between front and back which looks ungainly.

3. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

good point, what tint did you get done on yours= back window and can you see anything when looking in mirror?

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You'll find that your front windows sit at letting through 85% of light from the factory, as does the front windscreen. The legal limit on the fronts is 70% of light through, even the lightest of tints does push it to being on the wrong side of the law, that said, it's not prosecuted to 60% if memory serves. I like @SpeedyGee like front tints to help even the balance.

Mine are 50% on the front, on the rear is 15% + 35% double tint, which worked out to be just darker than my tinters 5% in stock at the time:

49368_IMG_20140707_172229.

Yes, even on the darkest tints I don't find it an issue - also helps with headlight glare on the motorways.

5. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I went for just the rears , , , totally agree with what @SpeedyGee said but with the legal side of things even with a light tint on the front, , taking into consideration the factory tint,, would be too dark legally... and the last thing I want to risk is problems with insurance etc because of a tinted window.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Worth noting on my '03, from when I bought it, it had 5% tints on the front - I was pulled by the police all the time until I removed them. I was lucky to never have the car impounded.

7. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

im starting to get put off doing the front sides now cuz all this legal and police talk, might just get a slight tint on them so i don't get pulled over by the police. but you said you done 50% when the law says you must have atleast 70%. so are you drivng illagally?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've never been pulled up for my tints. Even when I had an officer come up to my car to tell me I had a blown brake light bulb, he didn't mention the tints it all. Surprising as I know in Birmingham they do pull up on these.
    I did ask my tinter to take account of the factory tint on the fronts.

It does look dark from certain angles.

44267_acc2.

As you live in London @pastore I'd say its best not to risk it.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Window tint is graded on the amount of light it blocks from the outside, legal limits are calculated on the amount of light coming through to the inside. Window tints are darker on the outside by design. In short, I have no idea as I haven't had a light meter on it - but I know I'm walking a fine line. 50% was the lightest tint my tinter carried, I wouldn't risk any darker.

My '03 was 100% illegal, I didn't even know it at the time hence why I had to brush up on the laws and then removed them.

I have been pulled in my '07 and not had the tints commented on as well.

10. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

don't just consider getting pulled over for them. . . worst case scenario there is an accident and the insurance company voids your insurance because of them..
    each to their own and all but I didn't want to take the chance.

11. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

your saying don't do them but you have done your own, lol

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

They are listed as mod on my insurance.

13. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I had to declare my rear window tints as well to the insurance

14. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

I only done the rears and are listed with my insurance company.
    I didn't do the fronts.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Mine are also insured, as is everything else which costs more than I care to admit :Laughing:

16. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

it's never just a case of being the price of a part and fitting.. you pay extra every year for it :Laughing:

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  17. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    I prefer not to have tints in the front. Not that they don't look good but that other drivers/pedestrians/cyclists etc would not be able to make eye/hand signal contact with me. I like to be able to wave people on, give a thumbs up, smile and generally make eye contact with other road users, and pedestrians waiting to cross a busy road. Similarly I cannot see what other drivers intentions are when they give way/signal/wave etc at me through a heavily tinted windscreen or front sides.

Ya boo

Phil

exec and Nighthawk like this.
  18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Oh damn straight mate, and squeezing performance out of a car eats into reliability too. Even things like lowering cause premature suspension component wear.

You can still see the person behind any tint that would pass as legal mate, or even close to it.

chris2982 likes this.
  19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The trick is to keep the front tints legal. Then you don't have any issues on any front including seeing other drivers/road users and them seeing you.

chris2982 likes this.
  20. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Doesn't work in the back. My CR-V has rear tints. In my Accord I can raise a thank you hand to people behind me who let me out on the Motorway, and they can see it through the rear glass. In the CR-V they can see nothing. I have to fiddle around with the hazards/indicators to give a thank you flash, or lower the window and give a thank you wave. Great at 70mph+.

There's a lot of illegal cars around here then. Black Mercs, Audi's and Beemers mostly. Well dodgy

Phil