Service & Maintenance Your CR-V Likes & Dislikes (& Share Your Tips/Tricks!)

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by TheDarkKnight, Tuesday 14th May, 2013.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As a recent convert to the CR-V brigade, I thought I would start this thread for you guys to share what you like or dislike on your CR-V's - and of course to share any tips/tricks for newbies to the fold like me.

In customary fashion, I will start

Like: Pretty much everything.
    Dislike: The panoramic roof. Bloody pointless.

Last edited: Tuesday 14th May, 2013
    Toggerefc likes this.
  2. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Same here, I would have preferred a sun roof as I had on the Accord. Never open the shade on the roof. The sun roof would have been better for Henry as I could leave it open for him when I parked.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes a sunroof would have been way better. As it is on the US-versions of the CR-V.

I also like the fact that the wing mirrors fold in when you lock the car, unlike on the Accord where you have to press a separate button. Not sure whether this feature is only on the EX model or other lower trim ones, but I am pleasantly surprised by it.

4. pscolling Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think the panoramic roof is one of the great features of the EX. I never have mine shut now as it makes the car feel very dark and claustrophobic in comparison!

One think I'm not keen on is the silver(ish!) plastic trim round the gear stick... it looks cheap and tacky compared to the brushed aluminium.. Why they couldn't have made this piece out of brushed aluminium I'm not sure... it couldn't cost that much extra! I also think the ADAS system should be included on the EX and not a very expensive extra.

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was tempted to pay the extra for the ADAS, but since chopping in my ADAS-equipped Accord, I can't say I miss it all that much - and from that angle, I have saved a couple of grand so I'm not too upset in the grand scheme of things.

I do also like the HDD feature. 10GB is a lot of HDD space, but what I don't like is the sodding thing automatically copying tracks to it. Thankfully I managed to press something to get to the right menu to deactivate the recording feature and leave the HDD empty. I have my USB stick for my music and thats all I need.

Im the opposite to you pscolling on the roof - I prefer it shut - shows the Illumination Pack inside so much better!!

6. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Your CR-V Likes & Dislikes (& Share Your Tips/Tricks!)

The ride
    The looks
    AWD and the confidence it gives you in snow

Dislike the lack of torque particularly on hills. ( petrol)
    Fuel consumption , mind you I achieved 41.2 MPG this weekend on a trip to Bluestone National Park from Telford !

Mike c

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I must confess, I love opening the power tailgate.

Any excuse! Anyone else with this trait? :Rolf:

Oh, and the hill start assist - love it! Didnt realise it had kicked in, I was on an incline earlier today, took my foot off the brake pedal and the car didnt even move a millimetre. Excellent feature!

Toggerefc likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Been loving the power tailgate since 2004 buddy :Wink:.

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Haha, well, its new to this newbie so the novelty won't be wearing off just yet!

10. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've not had the CR-V long; at the moment I like everything about it apart from one thing which was a subject of a previous thread and that is the high revs on start up. To get away in reasonable time in the morning, I still wince when engaging D with engine RPM just below 1500 RPM. It's normal so I will just have to get used to it. The instrument switching feels very good and build quality appears to live up to the Honda reputation. All in all a very nice vehicle. It appears to like to get up to speed quickly rather than trying creep up with a light foot, the fuel economy gauge indicates a better overall MPG by being positive with the gas pedal.
    Time will tell whether I become a committed Honda fan :Smile:

11. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

How do you guys get on parking them? Whats the fuel consumption like?

Thats what puts me off SUVs, I need the space for the kids, but not the poor fuel consumption or inability to park in tight spaces.

Also not sure about he American connotations the SUV has...

Hyundai ix35 doesn't look quite as big. 5 year warranty also. Hopefully the Civic SUV might arrive, more my size and budget I suspect.

12. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I didn't buy a CR-V because (compared to Civic 2008 and Accord 2011) I don't like the road handling/steering. It ain't a real pleasure to steer a CR-V on small roads.
    I do can appreciate the space in CR-V. But I don't need space in my car.
    Drove a lot of miles in a 2007 Executive I-CTDI 140 BHP diesel and in a 2011 CR-V 2.0 petrol. Didn't drove the latest gen yet. But that won't take long :Wink:. It's a Honda, I need to try it out.

13. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Your CR-V Likes & Dislikes (& Share Your Tips/Tricks!)

I have found the handling to be as good as the accord ES GT that I previously owned , I thought that the accord under steered , particularly on tight bends. The CR-V handles brilliantly for its size and weight and the bigger tyres certainly improved the ride quality.
    At the end of the day you buy a CR-V for the space , ability to carry more, limited off road capacity, ability to tow and maybe because you like the design of the car.
    As a truck driver I prefer to drive a large vehicle and I am prepared to pay the small premium of additional fuel to satisfy my requirements. If you need the space but do not like the size / handling and cost of running a SUV type vehicle, Honda have the answer - a Jazz.
    My wife's 07 Jazz is brilliant to drive (auto) and it has loads of space and is reasonably frugal on fuel.
    Mike c

leonard likes this.
  14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

can't comment on fuel consumption just yet - its only done 150 miles and the needle has barely moved.

I will be the first to admit, I find parking it very tricky indeed. All very well having test drives etc, but the real proof is when you use it for yourself in your day to day commute. If it wasnt for the camera and the even more astute/sharp parking sensors, I would never be able to park it. It is very big - a lot bigger than the ix35.

The rear view/window isnt great on the 4th Generation - it wasnt that good on the 3rd Generation that I tried either, but the parking aids do genuinely help me.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Short and simple

Likes its a Honda :Wink:
    Dislikes its made in Swindon.

You can send your hate mail via PMs :Smile:

16. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    The CR-V isn't that hard to park as TDK has mentioned. I tow a caravan, and recently wasn't able to move the 'van because the battery was flat and the motor mover wouldn't operate. I had to reverse up to the 'van to hitch up. The rear view camera shows the tow ball so it was a doddle to back up right under the tow hitch. It wasn't down to my brilliant reversing ability, but the excellent technology that abounds in the CR-V.

As for fuel consumption, I'm getting just over 38mpg on the urban cycle which is similar to the Accord.

17. pscolling Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone tried this yet? :

How to turn rear-view camera on all the time

Allows the reversing camera to be enabled all the time... Its from an american site but I see no real reason why the same trick couldn't be used to access the hidden menu on the UK version. Will try it myself this evening if I get chance!

18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cool find, will read that thread before I do any untold damage!!

19. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Re: Your CR-V Likes & Dislikes (& Share Your Tips/Tricks!)

Hi Mike,
    Was your Accord an 8th Generation?
    I believe both CR-V and Accord understeer, no? But Accord accelerates and brakes better. And especially, corners quicker and is more stable on high speed. I mean you can take the same corner quicker with an Accord compared to CR-V. I'm not saying the CR-V doesn't do it good or is bad! And most important: I didn't drove the 4th Generation yet. TDK is in a better position to compare road handling.
    Both Accord and CR-V are not ideal to take (very) tight corners. The 08 Civic we also own does that much better.
    Drove some Jazz's also (i-shift as well as manual). Very good car, but I don't find it attractive (design).

20. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: Your CR-V Likes & Dislikes (& Share Your Tips/Tricks!)

Yes the Accord is better at cornering, if only because it has less dead weight, better centre of gravity and is lower to the road than the CR-V is.

But on handling generally, I'd say the CR-V feels more "planted" to the road because of its bulk/weight. Feels very solid and sure footed. I really like that sensation. Granted I havent taken it to extremes on cornering etc, but it is not bad for its size. I did test drive the new RAV4 before the CR-V, and it was bloody awful. can't describe it.

Accord/CR-V is an apples/oranges comparison to be brutally honest - both do things the other cannot. For me, the Accord was epic. The CR-V is something else - and I have no shame in saying that in terms of appeal, the new 4th Generation CR-V is hands down better for me than the Accord and what I need a car for.

i-DSI likes this.