Previously Owned Zumo

7th Generation (2001-2005) vehicle added by legend-ary, Sunday 13th Dec, 2015

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    legend-ary added a new Honda to the garage:

Zumo

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I notice you'd blanked out the number plate on all the pictures except the one on the transporter, so I've done that for you.
    Hope that's okay?

legend-ary likes this.
  3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

haha. oops. Good spot @Nels and thanks for that.
    I still don't know why people blank the number plates but I did it because I still don't know the reason.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I guess it's for a little anonymity?
    The web is a very public place.

legend-ary likes this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh its usually anonymity or fear of plate being cloned.

legend-ary likes this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Quite a lot to do from the looks of those pictures, but then that's what a project car is all about.
    What's the engine is like?

exec likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    That looks like a perfect beginners project, not too massively complicated but enough variation of jobs to tackle and learn.

For someone who was hugging there car and crying to see it go, they didn't look after it well did they?

legend-ary and Nels like this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Exactly what I thought too!

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Hey Nels, yes the job involves quite a bit of everything. I am quite confident that I will be able to handle most of these things on my own and actually looking forward to it. Have seen so many threads of people doing bits and bobs on their car and feeling jealous I think this car is my redemption (famous last words) lol. Engine sounds pretty good actually.. small amount of caked up oil around the bay but nothing alarming.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I know right!!? As I said, I think they bit more they could chew. .this car was bought by someone who clearly checked all the options while ordering and after a few owners it ended up being a bit much to handle. I think because the overall value of these 7th Generation have dropped so much, many people on budget buy them because its A LOT of a car for the money. and unlike most Ford Focus and Astras of this era who die due to head gasket issues these Civics will keep marching on.

exec likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How did you get on with checking out the radio issue @legend-ary ?

12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I only managed to pull the bottom part of the console at the moment so gear gaitor and surrounds are out. It seems like something is missing that should hold the gaitor in place.
    Regards to the radio I checked the fuse to begin with but the fuse was ok and radio shows no response.
    - - - Updated - - -
    This is what I have got. The small plastic ring seems like it will attach to the gearknob bottom but how to hold the gaitor from falling inside?
    2015-12-15 21.27.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @SpeedyGee I can see which screws you mentioned.. I am going to pull the top part out tomorrow but what will I be looking for? If the radio is plugged in then how to tell if its wiring issue or radio?
    2015-12-15 14.13.42.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Do you have a multimeter, 12v probe or test lamp ?

If so test for 12v supply and a good ground.

14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I have seen a multimeter at work!
    Wait a sec.. the seller included an aftermarket stereo with the car saying this hasn't got the right adapter to go in the car.. .I guess I will check this one too
    HOW?
    2015-12-15 21.44.42. 2015-12-15 21.46.19.

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Managed to put the gaitor in place. It was meant to be sandwiched between inner and outer ring (red and yellow arrows). Was very fussy to put them together without having the gaitor come off.. one thing to keep in mind is to make sure the stitched seam is facing top.
    2015-12-15 22.47. 2015-12-15 22.48.22.

Nels likes this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

This already seems to have an ISO adaptor with it (the big black connector to the left). All the original Honda plugs need to go into there.

Not sure why there are some cut wire in the middle there though.

Good job on the gaiter, that's one job ticked off the list.

Last edited: Wednesday 16th Dec, 2015
    legend-ary likes this.
  17. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Looks like they just bought the gaitor off ebay , ripped the old one off and then just put it in without using the securing ring...lazy gits :telloff:You will probably find they didn't connect the stereo back either when they put back in or it needs code put in

legend-ary likes this.
  18. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Actually I think you are correct. I just took the two screws off that hold the middle plate but there were no 8mm bolts that many YouTube videos mention (they all remove them for good) so I am hoping its disconnected only cause it doesn't even show the time.

19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

During my tea break, quickly nipped out to attend to the smashed and duct-taped side view mirror to see whats going on in there and I think it is safe to say its kind of irreparable. Where it attaches to the door, the joint is broken, the inside mechanism is broken and so is the glass. I guess the only fix is to swap the whole thing with a replacement
    IMG_2328.JPG IMG_2329.JPG IMG_2330.JPG

I went about trying to see how to take it off, took the inside cover off, but the wire was going behind the door trim. took the cover inside the pull lever and took the screws off but now I cannot see whats next. Some online tutorials show a hole behind the grab handle that one needs to put something in and push out but nothing like that here.

Does anyone know how to take the door trim off?
    IMG_2331.JPG IMG_2332.JPG IMG_2333.JPG IMG_2334.JPG IMG_2335.JPG

20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yeh I assume they tried fitting the aftermarket stereo couldn't make it work then just dropped the old one in without wiring back up, well hopefully as thatw ould be cheap easy fix.

This wing mirror might fit yours?

Ichiban, HondaHeritage and legend-ary like this.