1) Start the engine. Set the heater temperature control dial to maximum heat, then turn off the ignition switch. Make sure the engine and radiator are cool to the touch.
- Difficulty Level:
2) Remove the engine cover.
3) Remove expansion tank cap.
4) Raise the vehicle on the hoist to full height.
5) Loosen the radiator drain plug (A), and drain the coolant.
Top Tip: when you slacken the drain plug never remove the plug completely, otherwise you will have to replace the O ring. If you don't have a spare O ring don't pull it out otherwise it will leak when the car is at operating temperature.
6) Remove the drain bolt (A) on the rear of the engine block and drain the coolant.
7) After the coolant has drained, tighten the radiator drain plug securely.
8) Reinstall the drain bolt with new washer and tighten it securely.
9) Lower the vehicle on the hoist.
10)Loosen the bleed bolt (A) on the cylinder head.
11) Pour genuine Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 into the expansion tank (A) to the MAX mark (B).
• Always use Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 (P/N OL999-9001). Using a non-Honda coolant can result in corrosion, causing the cooling system to malfunction or fail.
• Honda Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 is a mixture of 50 % antifreeze and 50 % water. Do not add water.
Engine Coolant Capacities (Including the expansion tank capacity of 1.0 L (0.26 US gal, 0.22 Imp gal))
At Coolant Change:
7.1 L (1.88 US gal, 1.56 Imp gal)
After Engine Overhaul:
8.3 L (2.19 US gal, 1.83 Imp gal)
12)Tighten the bleed bolt when the coolant comes out in a steady stream with no bubbles.
13) Install expansion tank cap loosely.
14) Start the engine and let it run until the radiator fan comes on at least twice. Do not operate the air conditioning system. Then stop the engine. Make sure to warm up the engine to bleed the remaining air in the engine block.
Top Tip: have a look at this thread for more information about good parties and how to handle coolant spills and more
Engine Coolant Change • Honda Karma
15) Adjust the coolant level in the expansion tank to the MAX mark (A) after warming up the engine.
16) Install the expansion tank cap and tighten it fully, then run the engine again and check for leaks.