Just in case this happens to your pride and Joy please take care in the points raised.
- Difficulty Level:
If the vehicle needs to be towed, call a professional towing service.
- Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the below procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, the vehicle must be transported on a flat-bed tow truck.
- Trying to lift or tow the vehicle by the bumpers will cause serious damage. The bumpers are not designed to support the vehicle's weight.
- It is best to tow the vehicle no farther than 80 km (50 miles), and keep the vehicle speeds below 55 km/h (35 mph) except when loading on a flat-bed tow truck.
There are three popular methods of towing a vehicle
Tie Down Hooks/Towing hook/Tie Down Hook Slots Locations
- The front towing hooks can be used with a winch to pull the vehicle onto the flat-bed tow truck, and the front tie down hooks and tie down hook slots can be used to secure the vehicle to the flat-bed tow truck.
- The towing slots are covered with rubber plugs. Be sure to reinstall them after use.
- To avoid damage to the vehicle, use the towing hook for straight flat ground towing only. Do not tow on an angle.
- Do not use the rear tie down hook as a towing hook. Using the rear tie down hook as a towing hook causes severe damage of rear of the vehicle. To tow the vehicle from rear of the vehicle, use the rear tie down/towing hook slots provided (see "How to Use the Rear Tie Down/Towing Hook Slots").
How to Use the Rear Tie Down/Towing Hook Slots
If the vehicle gets stuck in sand, mud, or snow, use rear tie down/towing hook slots to free the vehicle.
- The rear tie down/towing hook slots are not for open-road towing.
- The rear tie down/towing hook slots are for towing very short distance such as freeing the vehicle.
- To avoid damage to the vehicle, place shop towels or rags on the towing devices.
- When the vehicle is towed from the side of the vehicle, install the hook to the slot on the towing side, then pull the vehicle at an angle of 45 degrees.
- When the vehicle is towed from the rear of the vehicle, install the hooks to the both slots, then pull the vehicle rear straight.