General £10 postage for an air filter!!

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by chris2982, Saturday 27th Jun, 2015.

1. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
  2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard T Milton Keynes
    Im curious whether performance filters actually make any difference on diesel engines.

That is a lot for postage however

3. H-Tune Performance Parts Trader

Shipping is just marked that high as that's where the profit comes from :Laughing:

We have an account with one of their distributors, ironically to get in an individual filter the postage cost means we can't even be much cheaper :Whistle:

4. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    annoyingly they were the cheapest place I could find it. . . but by the time the postage goes on it works out the same price as everywhere else lol

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    In honestly mate you're not going to see any gains on a forced induction diesel, absolutely none. On a naturally aspirated petrol you'll be lucky to see 1-2HP at the top-end.

6. Zebster Guest

I have a theory that air filter flow capability is MORE important on diesel engines. On a petrol engine the air flow is already impeded by the presence of a throttle, so additional restriction caused by an inferior filter merely looks like a slightly less open throttle. So performance is only affected at wide open throttle. But, on a diesel, it is vital to get the maximum cylinder charge for optimum performance in all conditions.

A guy on Civinfo tested a range of available air filters available for the I-CTDI and found the OEM airbox and filter to give the best flow rates.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The thing is with air filters it's a matter of balance, performance filters flow slightly better at the cost of slightly lesser filtration. K&N, Pipercross and the like just decide they're willing to forego a slight bit more filtration for air flow than OE.