Pre-Purchase 1.6 i-DTEC, 2.2 i-DTEC or 1.8 i-VTEC???

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by CaptainChaos, Friday 8th Jun, 2018.

1. CaptainChaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

Having wrestled with my current Mercedes C250 Sport for 7 months, I have decided to go "sensible" and get a car that I can just jump in, drive & know that (generally) nothing expensive will happen to it.

I have narrowed it down to the Civic (or maybe an Accord if I can find one) but do I go for the 1.6, 2.2 diesel or the 1.8 petrol?

I used to have an Accord & Civic & loved them, so better the devil you know etc.

The years I'll be looking out for is 2012/13/14 - all I insist on is cruise control - if it's got satnav, great, if not, not an issue.

Any ideas?

Obviously I have been spoilt with the acceleration of my Mercedes, but at the end of the day, there are only so many times you can blast past other cars before even that becomes a chore hahahaha

Fuel economy & low tax is a bonus, so obviously the 1.6 is the answer to that, but I would want a bit of grunt occasionally without the car rattling/shaking/straining.

Thanks (in advance) guys!

Ian

2. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You won't notice any power difference in the 1.6 over the 2.2 in a Civic.

3. CaptainChaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Okeydokey, so I might as well narrow it down to the 1.6 Civic or the Accord (unleaded or diesel) ...

4. CaptainChaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it hugely ...

What is the 1.6 I-DTEC like on a longer journey - is it okay or really tiring to drive? Noisy?

5. Hols4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Ray Porthmadog
    Hols4
    I had a 2013 1.6 I-DTEC from new and it was very comfortable on long journeys and easily got 60 MPG sometimes higher,it is a good engine and was told not noticeably slower than the 2.0.

6. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I (test)drove the 1.6 diesel and it is the only diesel engine ever I could 'accept' :Wink:.
    Drives a bit like a petrol. Feels nimble, light.... Very good.
    But if it was me, I'd go for the 1.8 petrol. So many people, so many choices!!
    That petrol generation (R18 and R20 as in the Civic, CR-V and Accord) is virtually undestructable. Nothing can go wrong. I have the R20 in my Acccord. 7 years old, 237.500 km's and still as new, nothing needed to be done, no oil consumption etc.... Just the regular maintenance. Don't say the diesels aren't capable of doing this, but IF something goes wrong, a diesel engine is more expensive to fix.

Nels and andy83 like this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

andy83 likes this.
  8. CaptainChaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've done it! I'VE DONE IT!!!

Well, I'm picking it up next Tuesday after it's been valeted.

2013 1.6 I-DTEC, Services & fault free MOT April, 76,000 miles ... Honda 03 crop.

Hondalad and i-DSI like this.
  9. Hols4 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Ray Porthmadog
    Hols4
    Good choice,same colour I had,enjoy

10. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    Congratulations, looks very smart.

11. CaptainChaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This has (so far) been a total joke with the garage I was buying it from.

To cut a long story short, I was going to p/ex my C250 at the garage with that white Civic pictured above. The paperwork was done, and then he said "oh yes, I forgot! Your Merc's service history?"

I only had one printed Service report from Mercedes, so the garage said "try to find the others or we'll knock loads of money off the p/ex price" ... I went to a local Mercedes dealer & they found another 2. Still not enough, so I got my deposit returned & put my Merc up on Autotrader.

Finally sold it to someone from Cardiff & saw that the Civic I WAS about to drive off in was still for sale, so I went to the garage & the owners wife has been using it as a runaround (while it's still for sale!) The sale price has increased by £250!!

I am NOW (hopefully) picking the car up next Tuesday 7th - they are honouring the original (£250 lower) price & putting 2 new tyres on the front.

I might saying "well you can take another £200 off 'cos your wife has put another 500 miles on it!! hahahahaha

It IS a lovely condition car & hopefully THIS time the sale will go painlessly!

12. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    I'm sorry to hear you've been messed about, a similar thing happened to my dad when he bought a Mondeo earlier in the year with regard to someone using it as a runaround and it having 700 extra miles than what it was advertised with.

The service history is annoying too seen as he remembered at the last minute. It always seems one-sided with dealers.

It looks like it's a very clean car though and I'm sure you will forget all the messing about when you're enjoying your new car. Let us know how it goes on the 7th and upload some more photos of it.

13. CaptainChaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

At Last!!!!

As of yesterday, the original car I looked at became MINE ALL MINE!

2013 1.6 I-DTEC EX.

Love it, although I am still trying to work out how to get the SatNav volume louder!

Here it is ... 20180807_203809 crop.

Hondalad, FirstHonda and andy83 like this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:congratulations:

15. CaptainChaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you :jumpy:

16. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
  17. CaptainChaos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Andy - in a what?

18. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    look here and here upload to club garage..