Previously Owned 1999 HONDA HR-V

1st Generation (1999-2006) vehicle added by MickyB, Thursday 9th May, 2013

1. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DeviateDefiant added a new Honda to the garage:

1999 HONDA HR-V

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

MickyB updated 1999 HONDA HR-V

View updates to this showcase item...

3. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok as some of you have seen in the HR-V section my baby has been running a bit rough, the suspicion was that it was maybe the exhaust manifold.
    Well yesterday I managed to get into it just the bottom bolt on the heat shield is solid so I got the top 2 out and pulled the shield forward, we had discussed various was of locating the possible leak none of which I needed because the cause was quite apparent.
    image. image.
    The first photograph is the front of the down pipe and the second I have placed a mirror behind to show the crack in the back of the pipe.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I have got an offer on a replacement just waiting for a reply so what I am going to do is a quick emergency repair today.
    Using everyone's favourite products. image.
    - - - Updated - - -
    What I intend doing is to firstly clean off the area around the crack.
    - - - Updated - - -
    image.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Fill the crack and surrounding area with gun gum paste and then just for added extra wrap with the exhaust bandage.

hondream likes this.
  4. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Crack filled. Not the easiest of jobs when you can't see behind it.(covered the mirror in the stuff) image.
    Bandage in place
    image.
    And the final piece is to lock wire it in place image.
    And now the moment of truth start up and warm it up and see if it's still blowing or not....fingers crossed

Last edited: Thursday 26th Nov, 2015
  5. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well no blowing, a little steam where the stuff is drying out so engine off and let it dry under its own steam.
    :likeit::GoodJob:

Nels likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    don't be revving the nuts off as it will leak in no time that won't hold.

That manifold needs to come off and properly welded and dressed.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Now that stuffs on there will be easier to just replace the whole manifold, rather than try and clean that up and then weld.

8. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's my intention there was an issue with the one I was making an offer on as they had cut one of the three studs off that connects to the exhaust section. Only noticed it at the last minute so had a lucky escape. Getting varied prices from parts net .

9. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

3 weeks and still holding just had a quick look and not a sign of it cracking. But still looking for a replacement.

10. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Found one on EBay am waiting for his reply to my offer

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You drive like driving miss daisy, so you surprised it hasn't leaked. I will have it farting and spluttering 200 meter from your house.

12. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's cause it's such a good repair matey that's why.
    But the one I've found is under half the price of the salvage parts websites they are all asking between 90 - 120 quid plus postage.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah I believe ya , light footed daisy. Good deal on the refurbished one.

14. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Light footed my bum.
    I got it for £38:Happy: and free postage:Niceone:

Ichiban likes this.
  15. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry but no pictures as its been a bit of a do. But on the way home on Saturday morning I started to get a loud squeal from the brakes when I put my foot down. Immediate thoughts pads and discs. So I quickly scourced these

image. And set to work.
    More to follow

legend-ary likes this.
  16. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Got the old girl jacked and blocked. Wheel off as I was intending to changes pads and discs I removed both calliper bolts (14mm socket) on the off side to find the outer pad very worn and the inner pad wasn't that bad( considering they had been on for about 10 years or so. )
    Pads came out very easy a slight tap and they were out.
    Calliper piston wasn't fully in so I fitted the inner pad again refitted the calliper bolts got a small bar in through the gap in the calliper against the disc and with a little pressure the piston went back in.
    Bolts and pad removed anti rattle shims removed then came the problem I as used penetrating out on the two 17mm carrier bolts but because I didn't have a breaker bar or extension I couldn't get them to break.
    So after some deliberation, head scratching , phone a friend I decided to measure the thickness of the disc which was 23mm the new ones were only 24mm so I thought sod it I'll leave them on and so that's what I did.
    All parts removed were cleaned and lubricated before being reassembled.
    All back on in around 2.1/2 hours along time I know.
    Anyway as I knew the pitfalls I repeated the process on the nearside all went well time to complete around 1 hour.
    The pads on this side were evenly worn with about 8-10mm left on them.
    I decided to leave the test run till the following day as it was late and my bed was calling prior to working Saturday night.
    SUNDAY
    Anyway after a long hard night at work I got home and decided to give the car a run. Thought something was not quite right as I pulled out of the drive and there was a rubbing noise on the off side.
    Taking my time and only light braking I got about a mile from home and after a slightly firmer braking it happened!!!! The screeching banshee was released god it was embarrassing I had to pull over for a look.
    I couldn't see anything so decided to head back te noise stopped after a while but I still felt like something was not right so I parked it up when I got back and decided I would check everything again.(Monday was a night off so ample time then).
    SUND