General 2.2 i-DTEC Oil Consumption

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Weetabix, Monday 17th Jul, 2017.

1. Weetabix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just wondered if I can get some advice, please.

I have had my 64 plate 2.2 I-DTEC Auto for around 4 months now and as part of my weekly maintenance check, I have been keeping an eye on all the fluid levels.

On checking today I note that the car has used approximately half the tank of oil in just over 3k miles since I bought it. Can is used mostly on motorways and never thrashed though I do regular (weekly) runs of 60 and 90 mile return trips.

I bought that car with 20300 miles on and it's just touched 24k miles.

I am aware that some cars use a little oil between services but that to me seems a lot. If I fast forward 3 months until its next service then it will have used the entire tank in little over 6k miles - I have never had that on any car I have owned before and I have owned many cars and all diesels. There are no leaks.

Is this normal or something to be concerned about?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

What do you mean by 'half a tank'?

3. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I assumed that the OP meant the dipstick reading was down to half from max?

If that's the case then personally I wouldn't be THAT concerned, but would keep a close eye on it. In my experience, diesels tend to use more oil than petrols between services.

Hopefully other CR-V diesel owners will be along to note their experiences. @Lisbon @MikeM-271048 @crv2014ex anything to add?

4. Weetabix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Apologies if I wasn't clear - the measure is slightly more than half way down the dipstick and was absolutely full when I got the car a tad over 3k miles ago.

I have nothing to measure (sic) it against apart from my experience of other diesels but I would say that's excessive for the mileage used. Will take other views, however.

5. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

My VW Tiguan regularly used two pints of oil between services, my Accord diesel usually up to a pint if that helps at all. Both did most of their 15-20k annual miles on the motorway.

Like I said, hopefully some other CR-V diesel owners will be along to help soon.

Boober likes this.
  6. Weetabix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Out of curiosity I have just bought a litre of 0W-30 and will fill the car up later when it's cooled. I guess I am just really not familiar with cars using oil between services at all - literally has never happened to me before.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Just about all engines use some oil. The amount varies quite a bit.
    The important thing is to check regularly and ensure it stays between max and min.

Note Filling above the max mark and dropping below the min mark will cause issues.

andy83 likes this.
  8. Weetabix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll absolutely take your word for it Nels - people on here are pretty knowledgeable and certainly more so than I.

I have honestly just never ever come across it before in all my years of car ownership - Toyotas, Skodas, VW's, BMW's, Fords, Peugeots, Vauxhalls - none of them have ever used a drop. I guess that's why I am a little nervous (perhaps unjustifiably so) but you never know how a car has been treated before you bought it and I'd hate to think I'd got one with an issue.

Let's see what some of the other diesel CR-V owners have to say - I guess that will be a good indicator.

Nels likes this.
  9. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I have to agree with Weetabix on this. The V40 I had for 14 years and my wife's Yaris (currently on 117,000 miles) she's had for 17 years never use(d) a drop of oil between services. They are both petrol though but the only diesel I've ever owned was my last car but one, a Yeti I had for 4 years and likewise never used oil between services.

My Last CR-V (petrol) didn't use oil in th 18 months I had it and neither has my current one but it's only done circa 3k miles in the 8 months I've had it.

I don't know what can be read from that, if anything, but I don't know anyone who regularly adds oil between services.

Keith

Nels likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

My previous cars hardly used any oil either. It was very rare that they needed a top-up before the next service was due.
    However, the current ones do need a little extra along the way.

I no longer have a Honda diesel, but the old one (I-CTDI) was fine and didn't need extra.

It would be good to see what other members do...

andy83 likes this.
  11. Domm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello, I have the same engine in my accord. It sometimes uses some oil, but more likely when driving in higher speeds for longer times. You can check a few things: 1) if your exhaust is not giving out blueish smoke; 2) If there is no signs of oil in the engine coolant; 3) if there is no oil leaks in the engine bay or below the vehicle; 4) If your turbine is not leaking oil through its cartridge. I guess that's about all of the possible options for oil to go out :Smile:

Boober likes this.
  12. Weetabix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven't checked (1) on your list but the others all appear to be quite sound. I have spoken to a number of dealers today. Some were clueless, some said 'it's normal', some said 'it's definitely not normal and you have a problem'.

Pick a winner out of that lot. I'm none the wiser.

13. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

Are you still under any sort of warranty @Weetabix ?

If so I'd go and get it checked sooner rather than later. Even if they say it is 'normal' after an investigation, having proof that you raised it within the warranty period would be useful.

Looking on the web, I've discovered that Subaru diesel engines tend to use quite a bit of oil between services, as do some Audi and VW models.

14. Weetabix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah FH it's under warranty until September which is one of the main reasons I want to get to a conclusion really - if it's an issue then I'd rather know now. The other side of me has little patience, to be honest, and can't be bothered faffing about with it. My pragmatic experience with dealers is that they fob you off so, with 2 months warranty remaining, do I really stand a chance of them doing anything when they know they don't have to in less than 2 months.

15. Top Brass Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Top Brass Wiltshire UK
    I've had 2 x CR-V 2.2 I-DTEC and never had to add any oil between services and that's with both cars towing caravans and motorway driving . I would get it checked out ASAP by your dealer and hopefully by doing this you will be on record should you have a problem further down the line if it's not sorted now

155695 and FirstHonda like this.
  16. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    I have a 2013 2.2 CR-V diesel. Doesn't do more than 4K a year but oil level does not change service to service.

Check it out

Phil

17. Weetabix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting. I have checked it out this morning and it's definitely low but I have to concede that the amount used is minimal.

That said, I still hold the view that it should not use any despite what the handbook says.

The dealers are not interested - all say it's normal.

18. Boober Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Glasgow
    Mine varies. 2.2 and 40k miles.

Day to day driving and commuting it won't budge, and that's all sorts of driving.

However, do a long motorway trip, say Scotland down to London and back or a euro run and it will use a noticeable amount on the dipstick after say, 700 - 1000 miles - I usually just top it up with 100ml or so to be sure. That's sustained high sped though - 90 - 105 mph and usually also in warmer weather.

Completely different engine, but the K20 in my Civic Type-R liked a drink, and all my VAG cars have used oil too.

As long as the car's not smoking or leaking then it's just one of those things. Check the oil once a month and don't worry about it

Phil P, FirstHonda and andy83 like this.
  19. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    I've owned 2 X 2.2 diesels one being a cdti and the current one being a 2014 I-DTEC and neither one has used a spot of oil between services however they are driven including towing from Chesterfield to St austell and back.
    Presuming you have checked the engine tray for any tell tale leaks. Are you checking the oil on level ground as any incline can make a huge difference. If you're not under a warranty I'd be tempted to drain oil and change it for recommended oil. At least if you do it you know that it's to the mark on the dipstick and it's the correct grade of oil. Diesels thrive on regular oil changes.

andy83 likes this.
  20. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Bought my 2.2 I-DTEC with 24k on the clock, now 40k. Mixed motorway/local/towing abroad but never over 80 mph and mostly 60-70.
    Never used a drop of oil, and yes, I do check it!