2 wheel or 4 wheel drive?

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by Richard Coleman, Wednesday 10th May, 2017.

1. Richard Coleman New Member Getting Started

Portugal Richard Tavira
    Hello, can some please give me some advice regarding a 2000 HR-V. I have owned this car in Portugal for 6 years and enjoyed total trouble free motoring. However yesterday I took the car for its MOT and was told it was going to fail because it didn't have a prop-shaft fitted. The car has never had a prop-shaft since I bought it and has been front wheel drive only with no issues. I know there was a option of 2 or 4 wheel drive when these cars were new but am unsure if there should be a prop-shaft fitted. There are connections from both the gearbox and the rear differential to accommodate. Can anyone advise and explain why this should be a MOT failure?

2. Davej5 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    If it has a rear diff and connections it must have been 4WD was the MOT in Portugal? I would not have thought it would be a failure here as it is not affecting safety.

andy83 likes this.
  3. Richard Coleman New Member Getting Started

Portugal Richard Tavira
    Yes the test was in Portugal ( where it has passed for the last 5 years at the same test centre) I suspected it was originally the intelligent 4 wheel drive but like you I can't see why only using the 2 wheel drive would be a safety issue. I'm more concerned why the shaft is missing? May be a problem with the rear diff which I don't want to change when I don't need it!

honda_saj likes this.
  4. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    Did you not ask garage why they have passed all these years prior to now ? was there a new inspector or same ?

5. Richard Coleman New Member Getting Started

Portugal Richard Tavira
    It is not like the UK here where you take your car to a garage for the test. They have dedicated inspection centres which pass or fail your car. You can not "discuss" things with a mechanic like in the UK.

honda_saj likes this.
  6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    ok not aware of procedure in your country :nodding:

7. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Your procedure is like Spain then.
    Having owned a 4WD 1 gen HR-V for some years I could only comment that the rear diff would rumble on a full lock which went with a diff flush and service.
    I would think that the propsheft had a problem hence being removed I can't see the diff seizing as the wheels wouldn't turn(I presume).someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I would hazard a guess at the diff rumbling and the previous owner being told the diff is broken and the easy option being to remove the prop shaft, I honestly can't see any other reason why it would be removed as I said unless the propshaft was damaged.
    You wouldn't know the answer to either unless you fitted a propshaft.
    Hope that makes some sort of sense.

andy83 likes this.
  8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    I had this with a 1st Generation CR-V did flush with diff fluid and it stopped, so good points by @MickyB :Hey::Thumbup:..
    Thanks
    Andy

MickyB likes this.
  9. Richard Coleman New Member Getting Started

Portugal Richard Tavira
    Thanks for the response, I will fit a prop-shaft and flush the diff if it sounds bad. I was thinking it may have been a faulty centre bearing that made them ditch the prop in the first place. If the diff plays up I will let them test the car with the shaft fitted then take it off.

MickyB, 1066Boy and andy83 like this.
  10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    MickyB likes this.
  11. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Sounds like a good plan. I have to refit my anti-roll bar to the Suzuki every time its tested and then take it strait back off again after the MOT. :Devil:

MickyB likes this.
  12. Davej5 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    It could have been the prop shaft universal joints that were gone if they are like the CR-V they are difficult to source and Honda only sell the complete assembly.

honda_saj and andy83 like this.