Engine & Gearbox 2009 CR-V Starts then cuts out

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by IvyCRV, Monday 11th Jun, 2018.

1. IvyCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Cledus ivybridge
    Hi,
    My 2009 plate 2.2 CTDi has started to exhibit a problem. Always been serviced by Honda until this year when took it to my local family garage. The car has done 69,000 miles. When started in the morning or at the end of a day at work, it fires up and runs for approximately 5 seconds before cutting out. When turning it over again, it fires up after about 10 seconds, and runs OK. The car has been serviced recently and had a new fuel filter. It does it all the time except for when the tank is really full.
    I've noticed it once before approx 18 months ago in a really hot day, but it hasn't done it since then until the last two weeks.
    I'm thinking that may be there's air in the system? Or possible an EGR valve problem (but why when not full?)
    Any thoughts on what to try please to prove out any theories?

Many thanks.

2. Davej5 Premium Member Club Supporter

Dave Cornwall
    Could possibly be fuel running back into the tank and sucking air in when parked up due to an air leak in the cut off valve, fuel line or filter, then it would have to pump the diesel back though and clear any air . Having a full tank may put enough pressure on the system to stop that happening.

IvyCRV and andy83 like this.
  3. IvyCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Davej5. I will Youtube where these items are on the car, as trying to find a manual is proving problematic. I'll post my progress when I come back at the weekend.

andy83 likes this.
  4. Wizard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    I had similar issues with my CR-V.

But after a standard service (oil change) the problem went away and has not returned for over 3 years! But they do use a fuel cleaning additive and I put it down to this.

IvyCRV likes this.
  5. IvyCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Wizard. Mine seems to have happened just after a service which involved a fuel filter change. I will try some injector cleaner and see what happens.

6. snow-plough Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Turbo diesels are very susceptible to air getting into the pipework.
    On another model, it is a classic symptom of a worn pump washer, though this manifest itself more in the winter and your mileage may not warrant that amount of wear.
    I would be inclined to replace the fuel filter with a quality replacement, and make sure the sealing surfaces are spotless.
    Failing that, I would replace fuel pipes with see through pipes one at a time to see where the air is coming in.

IvyCRV likes this.
  7. IvyCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Snow Plough. My money is on the filter as this was changed at the service, so that area has been disturbed

8. snow-plough Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have no complaints about my Blueprint fuel filter, it worked straight away, though of course for full peace of mind a genuine Honda one will be best.
    It would be tempting to not replace the O Ring, but always do it, though you would be best lubricating it with fuel for the best air tight fit.

If you get to the clear pipe replacement, note ONLY LOW PRESSURE pipes should be replaced, NOT FROM THE PUMP TO THE MANIFOLD.

9. IvyCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. Do you know where I can get a manual for a 2.2 CDTi CR-V?
    I note a couple of videos on you tube but would like a manual ideally. Seem to be like Hen’s teeth.

10. snow-plough Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I attempted to purchase the manual from my local Honda Dealer, but they claimed they could not get them. If you look carefully, our friends in Russia have official series 3 petrol manuals.

The Haynes manual for the series 2 appears to cover the CDTi so worth a punt. I am happy to pay £17 for Haynes hard copy manuals as they are a valuable resource.

Please go onto the Haynes website and ask to be on their mailing list for the new CR-V series 3 manual, I am guessing the more people do that, the quicker it will come.

Having said all this, Youtube is becoming a rich source of information, I used it for my later diesel engine filter swap.

11. IvyCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got back home on Friday and looked at the car based on the recommendations listed.

When I went to take the air filter housing off, I noticed that the inlet pipe to the air filter was really loose and had worked itself to the end of the inlet tune from the filter box. I pushed it fully home and did the clip up (service centre must have forgotten to do this I guess). I also put a tank of Wynns diesel system cleaner in the tank. Since starting the car on Friday, the cutting out issue has not occurred again, so fingers crossed it was the air inlet feed.

Thanks for your help and recommendations, and I still may need to try them. I will post any recurrence up and what actions were taken to fix it.

12. snow-plough Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Always good to get feedback on cause and effect, it is quite frustrating reading other forum threads where a problem is posed but the OP does not post the solution.

I guess you will really know whether it worked once the tank gets down to say a quarter.

13. IvyCRV Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It’s getting down there now and I parked nose up last night with increased confidence and it started this morning and no dip in revs as witnessed before so I’m hopeful. The only thing at the back of my mind is that it hasn’t been very warm here since I found that issue so when the sun comes out it may come back again. Hopefully not.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've just caught up with this thread, so here are my thoughts.
    Please only use genuine Honda fuel filters - Many members have had issues with the other makes.
    Well spotted that the pipe was not on correctly.
    It is worth getting the codes read when there is a fault on the diesel fuel system. When the ECU detects faults, it can switch off other components or run them at lower levels to protect the engine. It is then easy to go and swop out working parts, believing that they are at fault.

I had an Accord I-CTDI for 10 years. The only issue I ever had was a faulty Bosch fuel injector. Good old German quality parts!