Detailing 3M headlight restoration kit review and pictures

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Sconn, Sunday 21st May, 2017.

1. Sconn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Link to item 3M Headlight Lens Restoration Kit to Restore Dull/Faded/Discoloured Headlights: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike
    I bought this kit last year, but have been too scared to use it until today. I'm glad I did, the results are fantastic. The only word of caution I would give is that the first grade disc you use needs to be kept away from any angles on your lights. As you'll see from the picture, the indicator on my HR-V is pronounced, and I wasnt careful enough. The edge of the disc dug in and has left a nasty gouge. My fault for putting too much pressure on the pad...slow and steady wins the race! On the other side, I stayed away from the indicator until I was on the final polish, and it did the job fine, as the worst of the yellowing was on the headlights. Probably took me an hour and a half? I wasn't paying attention to the time
    Before: IMG_20170521_115354. IMG_20170521_115356.

After IMG_20170521_143142. IMG_20170521_143152. IMG_20170521_143201.
    You can see the damage I did on the indicator. I hope my mistake prevents someone else doing it.
    All in all, I'm very happy with the results. £21 well spent :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    I probably should have put this in the next section down....apologies

Bones126, DhoTjai, Nels and 1 other person like this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Now you will see the road better at night and not dazzle any oncoming traffic.
    Thank you for sharing this with us. :Niceone:

andy83 likes this.
  3. djcrossie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave West Midlands
    Great job and write up, I used one of these kits on my old VW Passat and found it worked great. The masking tape I used (not supplied in the kit) to protect the paint around the headlights managed to peel off some lacquer on the bonnet :shock:

Sconn likes this.
  4. DhoTjai Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands DhoTjai Rotterdam
    I had that too when I used 800 grit sand paper, then continued with 1000, 1500, 2000 and 2500.

honda_saj likes this.
  5. AccordEll Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Elliott Redhill
    Watsup guys I recently purchased a headlight restore kit and well I was very happy with the results. Anyone thinking of doing this I would recommend the 3M kit I will post the link. Would appreciate any feedback from you guys and post some pics of your headlight restoration.

Attached Files:

6. Mugen_fd2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

London
    Good result, but did you protect them with some sealant? If not, they will get back to yellow.

7. AccordEll Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Elliott Redhill
    Thanks mate. No I didn't is there a certain type of sealant I need for this.

8. Mugen_fd2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

London
    I have polished my headlight recently for the second time and used Gtechniq C4 and Exov3 for protection, but there is similar cheaper alternatives.

AccordEll likes this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Threads merged as they both relate to the 3M kit.

andy83 likes this.
  10. Hondaze Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Torquay
    nicely done, pal

AccordEll likes this.
  11. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Excellent job, thanks for the review :Thumbup:

AccordEll likes this.