General 4X4 Working !?

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Oil Burner Chris, Monday 3rd Aug, 2015.

1. Oil Burner Chris Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Evening all, this might seem a bit of a stupid question, but is there any way that you can check that the four wheel drive system is working properly on my CR-V ? :Wink:

2. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Mud, sand, gravel, and steep forestry tracks :Niceone:. Otherwise you will need to get all four wheels free to spin off the ground on a chassis lift. (While its up there maybe burnish and change diff fluid if there are any concerns)

3. Davej5 Premium Member Club Supporter

Dave Cornwall
    As Zack says I check mine by driving up a muddy bank around the corner from my house if yours has VSA you will need to turn it off other wise it won't let a front wheel spin to get the rear wheels working.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  4. Racy Jace Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Jason Dudley, UK
    I just tried driving in the snow and I can't tell if the 4x4 is kicking in. I turned the VSA off and some wheels spun but the 4x4 light didn't come on. Am I meant to get some sort of indication when it's working or Is that light just a warning?

5. Dutchstream Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Leon Rotterdam
    Just tested mine beginning of the week. I just needed a showroom with big windows and a very slippery surface....in my case that was snow. I could see the rear wheels spinning when I started to pull away.

1066Boy likes this.
  6. Racy Jace Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had no window so couldn't tell if my rear wheels were spinning. I'm guessing the 4x4 light comes on as a warning if there's a problem. It was just the one night I went out that the car had no grip as it was sheer ICE and the back had a mind of its own. The following days were fine and the car was totally controllable in the snow, With or with out VSA on. I just wish we had more snow so I could play more.

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    What you need is a set of these and a large area to go play in :Grin:.

1066Boy and Racy Jace like this.
  8. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Put a set of these on and you will never spin again. :Laughing:

Kaimans.

Racy Jace likes this.
  9. Racy Jace Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I do have a spare set of alloys

1066Boy likes this.
  10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

D5F77A00-0C16-4EE8-A066-BFDB7E1BF4F5.
    Try driving it somewhere dodgy. If you get stuck it probably doesn’t work. I don’t know why you would think it isn’t though

Racy Jace likes this.
  11. Racy Jace Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just thought that if the traction control light comes on when it's working it would be the same for the 4x4 light. I just find it strange that it doesn't.

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It’s not a proper four wheel drive and I think you have to base your expectations on that

1066Boy likes this.
  13. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

I agree, it no substitute for a proper 4x4. The very idea of one set of wheels loosing traction before the others wake up and help makes little sense
    to me. Just a moment of loss of traction is often the difference between making progress and getting stuck.

Racy Jace likes this.
  14. Airbear Banned Getting Started

Scotland Airbeer Glasgow
    It makes sense, from a fuel economy POV, if 99% of the time the driving conditions warrant 2WD.

15. Racy Jace Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know the CR-V isn't a proper 4x4. I only bought mine for the boot size and it being another Honda.

I was under the assumption the CR-V was 2WD until it needs the extra grip from the rear which helps to keep emissions down and MPG up? If my car is actually AWD then I can understand why there is no indication on the dash to say that it's kicking in just like it does with the traction control.

16. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

My Suzuki is 2WD most of the time but locks solidly into 4WD at the touch of a button. None of this traction control stuff.