Engine & Gearbox 8th Generation Oil Consumption

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by C4rb0n13, Thursday 6th Sep, 2018.

1. C4rb0n13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jay Hampshire
    hey all. I had a search before posting but couldn’t find anything. Had my 2012 petrol accord for about 4-5 months now and my oil level warning light comes on every 3 weeks/837 miles or so, has done since I bought the car from Honda. It’s been back and fourth for diagnostics but Honda can’t find an external leak. I had an engine flush done, replaced oil and filter and has now done 1,347 miles in about 5 weeks but today the light came on again.

Long story short, is this kind of consumption normal? Honda said it was going through 1.5 litres between my visits to them....so I have to top up my oil every 3 weeks? Never had a car use so much oil before so would like to get your opinions before I call Honda again.

Thanks in advance :Smile:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What grade of oil are you using and when are you measuring the oil via the dipstick? potentially the oil level sensor is duff.

3. C4rb0n13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don’t know what oil Honda are putting in as they’re the ones topping it up after each consumption test. Can’t be faulty sensor as it trips the warning light like clockwork. As I said, it’s honda who are doing the consumption checks so I’m not checking level on dipstick but when the light first came on (3 weeks/800 odd miles) after buying the car, the level looked fine but Honda said it was low.

4. C4rb0n13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right, Honda topped up my oil 1.5L with 0W20 each time I went in to them and it drained in 837 miles/3 weeks on the DOT. I had an engine flush and oil replacement by my trusted local garage and they used 5W40 and it lasted 1,337 miles, about 5 weeks. I’ve spoken with head office and they’re looking into it but wanted to gauge other owners consumption first.

5. C4rb0n13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

5W30, not 5W40. Still means I have to top up with 1-2 litres every month which, in my books, is not normal for any car I’ve ever owned.

6. Mugen_fd2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

London
    Definitely its not normal.