Engine & Gearbox 8th Generation Oil Consumption

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by C4rb0n13, Thursday 6th Sep, 2018.

1. C4rb0n13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jay Hampshire
    hey all. I had a search before posting but couldn’t find anything. Had my 2012 petrol accord for about 4-5 months now and my oil level warning light comes on every 3 weeks/837 miles or so, has done since I bought the car from Honda. It’s been back and fourth for diagnostics but Honda can’t find an external leak. I had an engine flush done, replaced oil and filter and has now done 1,347 miles in about 5 weeks but today the light came on again.

Long story short, is this kind of consumption normal? Honda said it was going through 1.5 litres between my visits to them....so I have to top up my oil every 3 weeks? Never had a car use so much oil before so would like to get your opinions before I call Honda again.

Thanks in advance :Smile:

2. Ichiban Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    What grade of oil are you using and when are you measuring the oil via the dipstick? potentially the oil level sensor is duff.

3. C4rb0n13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don’t know what oil Honda are putting in as they’re the ones topping it up after each consumption test. Can’t be faulty sensor as it trips the warning light like clockwork. As I said, it’s honda who are doing the consumption checks so I’m not checking level on dipstick but when the light first came on (3 weeks/800 odd miles) after buying the car, the level looked fine but Honda said it was low.

4. C4rb0n13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right, Honda topped up my oil 1.5L with 0W20 each time I went in to them and it drained in 837 miles/3 weeks on the DOT. I had an engine flush and oil replacement by my trusted local garage and they used 5W40 and it lasted 1,337 miles, about 5 weeks. I’ve spoken with head office and they’re looking into it but wanted to gauge other owners consumption first.

5. C4rb0n13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

5W30, not 5W40. Still means I have to top up with 1-2 litres every month which, in my books, is not normal for any car I’ve ever owned.

6. Mugen_fd2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

London
    Definitely its not normal.

7. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    That's not a normal consumption. My engine (same as yours) burns approx. 1/2 liter every 15.000 km. Hard to notice in other words and never needs topping. I use 0W20 as prescribed.

C4rb0n13 and andy83 like this.
  8. Beefy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    does it smoke at all? have you had the spark plugs checked for fouling? someone check there car handbook. it does state how much oil the engine may consume. it escapes me right now
    - - - Updated - - -
    taken from an official honda bulliten. :

Oil
    Consumption
    Oil consumed depends on the following factors: -
    1. How many miles the vehicle has traveled, A new engine consumes more oil as it’s pistons, piston rings and cylinder
    walls have not become conditioned.
    2. How the vehicle is driven. More oil is consumed by high speed driving at high engine speeds and frequent
    acceleration and deceleration.
    3. Climatic and road conditions encountered.
    4. Viscosity of the oil.
    An acceptable rate of oil consumption can be up to 1 litre per 1,000km / 600 miles. Consumption is likely to be higher
    when the engine is new.
    Oil
    Viscosity
    In response to demands for lower emissions and greater fuel economy, modern engines utiise new materials and
    surface finishes as well as lower viscosity oils. Modern oils incorporate low viscosity, pure base oils in order to
    minimise engine friction over the life of the vehicle whilst delivering the capability of extended drain intervals. This,
    combined with the advanced engineering techniques, means that under certain driving conditions even new engines
    may consume more oil than normally expected.
    Note:
    Fully synthetic oils are produced primary for high performance for high performance engines. These oils offer
    increased engine protection, however using this type of oil will not constitute to lower oil consumption
    - - - Updated - - -
    ammount of oil inbetween minimum and maxium markings on dipstick should be regarded as 1 litre. bareing in mind no one engine is exactly the same as the other. some with use more oil than others regardless of how they are driven/the environment/cared for/oil used.

andy83 and Nels like this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good to see you back on HK @Beefy :Drinks:

10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    @Beefy nice to see you back on HK mate :Smile:

11. C4rb0n13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your detailed reply. Had plugs checked, perfect working order and no fouling. No smoke whatsoever, car is perfect apart from oil consumption. As for the handbook, I was aware of their “official” usage guidelines but have never had a car use that much oil in 600 miles (which is every 3-4 weeks for my commuting). Also aware of the difference between max/min marks and, again, seems unreasonable to be putting 1+ litre of oil in my car every 3-4 weeks or so. Car has full Honda history and I drive it as economically as I can, on all sorts of roads and speed limits.

Lovely car but this oil issue is a fault as far as I’m concerned. I know Honda US had a law suit against them a while ago with the accord consumption but nothing over here as yet.

12. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I believe you are confusing with the 2.4 liter. In the US, our 2.0 was never for sale in the TSX. And there is no known history at all about oil consumption for the 2 liter.
    I fully understand you, and I would not consider it normal either. The consumption you have is normal for Audi an VW petrols.
    Did you buy it secondhand with any warranty? I would go for it and as to fix the problem under warranty.

andy83 likes this.
  13. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    What mileage is on the car

14. C4rb0n13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just about to roll over to 80k miles. Car was bought from main Honda dealer but this isn’t the first issue I’ve had with the car. Can’t afford to take the risk with them stripping the engine down to “possibly” find an internal fault because then if they say they couldn’t find anything, I’m left with the £550 bill for their time and I can’t afford that.

15. Dean Vincent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dino London
    This car has a serious fault.
    Tell the dealer you want your money back or an exchange under the Approved Used Scheme.
    Put it in writing.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just realised it's too late for the exchange as that only applies for 30 days. So it's a money back job. You might have to go to the small claims court if they don't play ball.

andy83 likes this.
  16. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    At that mileage I would expect that it would be something like a damaged ring or valve seal to be using that much oil.
    Its definitely not normal.

i-DSI likes this.
  17. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate are saying last service was done by honda ...

18. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    They don't have to strip the engine to find the root cause: spark plug image, scope in the combustion chambre, compression test, put some airpressure via the spark plug holes.... The oil goes out somewhere, and if it doesn't leak, it disappears via the exhaust valves.
    It takes 30 minutes to diagnose this and pinpoint with 90% certainty the cause.

Last edited: Sunday 30th Sep, 2018
    C4rb0n13, Bounder and andy83 like this.
  19. C4rb0n13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Now why can’t you guys work for my local Honda?! You’re all giving me much more reasonable a straight answers than Honda are lol.

Yeah last service was done a couple of days before I brought the car and had full Honda history prior to my ownership.

I didn’t quite grasp hondas reason behind having to strip the engine and I’m glad you’ve mentioned that they wouldn’t need to but they need to make their money somehow I guess.

I’ll get everything written up and taken down to my Honda and see what they say. I can’t thank you guys enough. I knew there was a fault but having never owned a Honda before, I just wanted to be sure.

i-DSI and andy83 like this.