A multitude of issues...any advice?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by 1964, Saturday 15th Jun, 2013.

1. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

EJ9 has a few issues but I just want some confirmation as to what they might be/are. Had a few suggestions so I'll list each issue and what I've been told. 

Firstly when starting the car now and then, it sounds like the Starter Motor is grinding/breaking/tooth is missing. It starts fine 9/10 times but the tenth time it gives that horrible grind noise, the same noise that a car will make if you try to turn the key once it's on? 

I've been told that it could simply be dirt trapped somewhere but I'm not so convinced? I'll try to get a video of it but it's intermittent so not 100% sure I can.

Next one, car does pull to the left, slightly. This isn't the problem really, it's more the fact that it's lighter steering left and heavier steering right. It's easy to compensate for but sometimes if I pull away hard (only doing so to test how bad it was) it'll pull to the left and i'll have to grab the wheel. It's not the end of the world and I reckon it's either tracking or as resident mechanic Pursey says, a bush going? 

Lastly, the gasket under the camshaft cover appears to be the wrong way round, ie the tabs of rubber that sit on the head are poking out the front of the cover, also leaking a bit of oil. When I turn the car on, the check oil light briefly pops on then goes, not long enough to warrant a check but seeing as this is on wrong I just thought that seeing as this gasket's on upside down efectively, is it worth just flipping it and banging in some more oil til i service the cars next friday? 

Thoughts, opinions etc. 

2. andygoole Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oil and battery light should both show breifly when you turn ignition on. Even if you don't engage the starter

3. Site Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i got a spare d series starter if you want to try it!

4. LiamEj9 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My ej9 used to do the same as yours regarding the starter and the light steering one way compared to the other, I put the starter down to a sticky solinoid.

The steering was a snapped ARB drop link.

5. Kev_B18 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if an oil light comes on during use even for just a second  its time to check its level don't forget 1 bearing knock is all it takes to ruin the bottom end

6. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hmm okay checked it all out, will swap the gasket round soon

Got another one now as well, coming bak earlier and is started to hear a vibrating/rubbing noise from the back when accelerating in fourth past about 3k.

It's not VTEC and I had a lorry driver flash me a few times so concerned it could be something legit but I can't see it when driving any ideas?

7. RandomDan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Gasket will only fit on one way round i though.

Youd have to be a absolute mong to force it in a way it won't fit.

Mine also leaks so i know that feel bro :Frown:

8. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeh, i believe they were/previous owners mechanic was the equivalent of a chimp with a stick. 

Anyways, I believe I have a rear wheel bearing on it's way outwhich I really hope isn't the case. More from the above issue (rubbing/vibrations/minor grinding noise?) it seems to occur in the rear driver side wheel or in that area around the 2-4k RPM range which is odd. I'll jack it up tomorrow and check for wear but as it is right now i'm quite pushed for time.