Suspension, Steering and Brakes Accord CL9 Brake discs and pads

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by JamesS, Monday 3rd Nov, 2014.

1. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Hi all,

Right, managed to sell the Penta's so I am going to put the money towards some new pads and discs.

Been looking at EBC or Tarox on ebay and the web. Does anyone have any favorites or brands they stick by? Always used Mintex on the Lexus, but would like to improve performance a little if possible.

honda_saj likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I normally stick to stock as well but ended up with Mintex pads and discs on the rear as I did them on a whim one weekend.

Front are OEM pads and discs.

honda_saj likes this.
  4. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Hmm.....I always struggle to justify spend dealer money on OEM parts. It's always expensive so when I consider it I always think about replacing with higher spec parts for similar money.

Might stick with Mintex for the minute then.

honda_saj likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

With club discount in a lot of cases I've found it's either the same cost or cheaper than after market.

I tried after market stuff plenty of times but I've always found OEM stuff to be better quality and longer lasting, so that's what I generally stick with now.

Everyone has their own preference though.

honda_saj likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard T Milton Keynes
    I personally have ferodo discs and premium pads all round on mine. I have used Ferodo brake parts for 15 odd years or so now and have never had a problem with them. I prefer them over OEM personally.

honda_saj and DeviateDefiant like this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Before I owned a Honda, I had used some aftermarket brake products, but never found them to have lasted as long as the original. (At least the ones I'd tried didn't)
    I also remember cutting open an original and aftermarket oil filter many years ago. The original had a thicker filter section.
    I stick with originals now. Have done for years. With club discount, the prices are well worth it and there's never a problem with them fitting correctly.
    I also had a new exhaust fitted by HH earlier this year. Cost less than several of the national chain exhaust/tyre places.

honda_saj and SpeedyGee like this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd go for OEM or Ferodo Premier on a budget, but wouldn't go any cheaper. The EBC pads get such mixed reviews I've never dared take a punt on them, if any, the reds seem the best way to go, with the greens getting slated heavily.

Thej and honda_saj like this.
  9. blackmagics Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Waking up the thread; has anyone upgraded the rear brake discs to bigger ones, 282 or even 300mm?
    As I'm upgrading the front to CU2 setup, I would like to upgrade also the rears, to keep the brake balance.
    First route would be to use the CU2s' ones also, but in our case would mean to upgrade the entire rear, hubs, parking brake, calipers.

Thanks for any advice.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Majority of braking is done by the front.

If you are yet to upgrade the front then I would say do that first and see how it feels, if everything is working as it should you should see marked improvement over stock setup.

I think it's false economy upgrading the rear, the gains don't warrant the expenditure for a road setup.

honda_saj likes this.
  11. blackmagics Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My concern is about braking force biasing towards the front axle, after the upgrade. That's what I would like to avoid, in fact.
    Indeed, upgrading all the rear setup to CU2's would be quite expensive, that's why I'm also searching for other alternative solutions, if any.

12. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Front CU2 replacement was sufficient for me. Don't notice any imbalance whatsoever when braking hard.

honda_saj and blackmagics like this.
  13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've run both ATR and CU2 setups on the front and never felt any need for the rear to be upgraded to match.

honda_saj, andy83 and blackmagics like this.
  14. blackmagics Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, guys. I'll swap the fronts and I'll see after, it's encouraging as you posted your experience with it.

15. honda_saj Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom saj east london
    But just to let you the ebc don't go well with mtec discs so be aware (Performance Brake Discs, MTEC Brakes, Drilled and Grooved, Drilled, Dimpled and Grooved, Grooved Sport Brake Discs, Performance Braided Brake Hose
    - - - Updated - - -
    go for perfomance discs with good pads and braided hose line and you will get very good braking to take it even further you could upgrade master brake cyclinder or even go bigger calipers.

16. blackmagics Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What's your understanding when you talk about performance disks and pads?

Actually I'm running EBC blade sport disk (BSD) with Yellowstuff pads all around, with OEM hose line. I have a good modulation of brake force and the initial byte is like the OEM one, but as I push them it gets better and better.
    I need just a bigger clamping force as I run at high speed on autobahn with the car fully loaded, for extra safety margin.
    It's a pity that EBC doesn't offer the same setup for CU2, but only USR disks, I would have upgraded to that setup in no time, including the rear.

17. honda_saj Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

As a new member i shall take it that you are not insulting my knowledge with that post.

18. blackmagics Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The question is genuine and not meant to offend in any way - I really wanted to know what you mean by that, in terms of brands - Wilwood, StopTech, Hawk, Brembo, EBC, and so on.

honda_saj likes this.
  19. honda_saj Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There are many brands and most of it is do with preference Ferodo pads are rated good but not cheap, as i mentioned there is many things that can be done to improve brake performance even changing to DOT 5.1 can make a difference.