Tyres & Wheels Accord Tourer 2.4 2004 space saver spare?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Friday 12th Apr, 2013.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

My recently aquired Accord tourer 2004 model with 17" wheels has got the silly tyre gunk inflator kit instead of the space saver spare wheel.
    I don't like these kits because 1. they don't always work and 2. most tyre shops charge the earth to remove a tyre when this gunk has been used.

I see on ebay lots of accord space savers for sale at inflated prices (no pun intended!). So my question is does any body know what other models may fit the accord tourer that I can search for.
    Example is an Accord space saver on ebay is around £100 even a used one! Yet a Mitsubishi FTO 5 stud space saver is buy it now at £20. Which is a bit more realistic.

Any body know of any other makes or models I can search for that will fit the Accord and save me some penny's as I am skint!?? LOL
    Thanks

Tony

2. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I bought mine from breakers for £40 nearly new space saver from Civic.

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks, thats definately a bit more of a realistic price for sure. Will try a few breakers then.
    Cheers
    Tony

4. MattyB801 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I whipped out my boot liner tray and have an EP3 Civic 17" alloy in there....fits snugly, but fits!!

5. Chris P Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Chris P Bognor Regis
    Will a 17" spacesaver from a CR-V be a viable option?

6. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
  7. Chris P Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's good to know as there are more reasonably priced CR-V spacesavers about than Accord ones.

8. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I was lucky enough that a member had some stock rims like mine that were in a bad way and needed refurb and tyres... He gave me one, all I had to do was arrange & pay for the courier, which was about £10. Wheel is currently waiting to be refurbished next time I'm down in MK as I couldn't find any where near me.

9. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    CR-V space saver won't fit, it's even bigger than 18" wheel with 225/40 tyre, I've tried that when I was looking for one for myself

10. Chris P Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah - I've just been checking these tyre size calculators to find the nearest tyre that's the same diameter as my 225/45/17 tyres:

Tyres & Alloys Wheels TyresaveTyreSave

Tyre Size Calculator

A155/65/17 or a 135/75/17 tyre should fit on the 17" CR-V steel spacesaver rim (unless the 135 is too narrow). The 155/90/17 is too large in diameter.

11. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    there's many cars with same PCD, just need to chceck the centre bore and ET, as long as centre bore is bigger than 64.1 then you're fine as you can always use spigot rings, ET in most cars is about 40-50 which is also fine, you can use wheels from hyundai,mitsubishi, some toyotas, kia, mazda and many more jap or korean cars, just use this site to check what's the fitment on the wheels you're planning to buy Alloy Wheel Fitment

Chris P likes this.
  12. Chris P Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just working out compatible tyre sizes on various size spacesaver wheel rims up to 155mm (nearest to the diameter of a 225/45/17 tyre):
    15": 145/85/15 - 155/82/15
    16": 135/85/16 - 145/80/16 - 155/75/16
    17": 135/75/17 - 145/70/17 - 155/65/17
    18": 135/65/18 - 145/60/18 - 155/55/18

13. Chris P Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Something I'm not sure about is the "Inflate to 60psi" instruction on the side wall - does that mean it should be inflated to 60psi when not in use, or inflated to 60psi when fitted to the car? I understand a narrower tyre will need a higher pressure compared to a full size tyre, but fitting a tyre already at 60psi to a car is going to put the pressure through the roof once it's taking the weight of the car.

14. Chris P Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok, just checked the manual and It says (on page 500):
    "Check the inflation pressure of the compact spare tyre every time you check the other tyres. It should be inflated to 420 kPa (4.2 kgf/cm², 60psi)"

DrSam and andy83 like this.