General Alternator replacement

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Bennylee, Wednesday 6th Jun, 2018.

1. Bennylee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lee Abertillery
    Hi all,
    Any idea how much Honda will charge to replace a alternator on a 07 Accord tourer 2.2icdti my battery was flat recharged only getting 12.6 volts when engine is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. hondream Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I assume you've checked that the belt isn't loose?

3. Bennylee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes the belt is fine looks like it’s an intermittent fault I had a meter on the battery today and sometimes it’s reading 14.1 then back to 12.6 Honda want £450 to replace it.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:mail:

5. Bennylee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looks like the alternator is fine, I tested it again today when I started the car the battery was reading 14.1v after about 15 mins that dropped to 12.6 if I then put the air con on the alternator would kick back in and the battery would read 14.1 again I did this several times always the same result.

Harvey likes this.
  6. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It seems more likely that it is either a loose connection ( so check these) or it is the voltage controller that's located in the fusebox. I can't remember the correct name for it, but it basically tells the alternator when to increase alternator output.

However when was the battery last changed, as they usually only last a max of 5-6 years before needing a replacement. And add to this, if your car has Bluetooth, it may have the renowned Bluetooth battery drain issue.

Bennylee and andy83 like this.
  7. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate when you say Bluetooth take it you mean HFT which can cause battery drain....

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yes, the HFT Bluetooth drain.

andy83 likes this.
  9. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    @Bennylee is no warning coming up on dash and all other electrics ok....

10. Bennylee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No warning light everything else working fine, I will see what happens over the next few days

11. Bennylee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Battery still loosing power I removed from the car left it in my garage for 2 days didn’t drop any volts I have now replaced it and removed the blue tooth module see if that’s dragging it down,

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Highly likely to be the HFT causing the paralytic drain. It is a well known issue as the system ages.

Harvey, andy83 and Bennylee like this.