Electrical & Lights Alternator smoking !

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by buzbyten 146, Tuesday 16th Jul, 2013.

1. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

SpeedyGee likes this.
  2. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's a useful website* - thanks.

*Or it will be until Honda beats them up for exporting parts and piising on their bonfire.

3. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Seems Denso alternators are no longer bullet proof. My Denso alternator died at 55.5k miles in my Dec'07 Accord tourer exec a few days ago - 1/8/2017, auto. All std kit, nothing extra fitted. I suppose these days we are lucky if electrical kit lasts more than 7 to 10 years.

On another point, my wifes March 2004 Jazz had a ABS module fail, cost nearly £1500.00 to replace, so we traded it in as the car was only worth about £700.00, I have to say now that Honda cars of about 10 years old don't appear to last like older ones did and do!

Both cars above were built in Japan.

Mind, both cars were totally reliable before above happened, so I suppose I can't complain!

I wonder if anyone else has had problems like above in the last 2 to 5 years?

4. h22betterthank20 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland anon ano falkirk
    i had a skoda fabia 2.0 the one with 4th Generation golf gti engine....purchased it with ABS light and traction light on scanned it for codes....got ABS pump code checked prices for pump...(omg)

checked main ABS fuse on battery, visibly broken got one from skoda as these fuses are only available from dealership...sorted.

id hate to think if people just go get the pump changed at crazy prices these rarely fail unless stupid mechanics in garages manage to get air into the pump while doing brake lines. i just can't trust these garages, when i had my 400bhp lude i wouldent let the queen drive it nevermind a mechanic drive onto the ramps

v6Echo likes this.
  5. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Captain East Sussex
    I think I may have the dreaded alternator syndrome.
    The Legend has made a strange scuffing sound for about 2 minutes after start up over the last two weeks, then it stops when the engine warms up. Battery seemed a little sluggish last two weeks but started first time as usual.
    The Car has not been driven for 5 days and today is totally dead. No ignition lights, nothing works. It's like there's no battery at all. The battery is showing 0.15 volts, less than a volt. Having read the threads above, it does appear rather familiar. The battery worked fine last week, now it's totally discharged. Anyone know of a cheap new alternator? I'll have to see what my Honda garage says, but I guess I'm about to take one in the shorts eitherways.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

captain trumpy and andy83 like this.
  7. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Nils. Yes, I did check the link out, but it's going to take too long. My Honda dealer can get one in 2 days for £500. !!!!

I need to get the car to the dealer, about 6 miles away. If I buy a Halfords new battery and fully charge it, will the car still work for the 10 minutes drive to get it there? Failing that I'll have to cough up for a recovery truck. Even if it trashed the new battery, it would be cheaper than getting a tow in. It has to be the Alternator shorting out somehow, to destroy a battery in 4 days to totally dead there must be a hefty current drain. Thing is, will a full charge get me 10 minutes driving?

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

andy83 likes this.
  9. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just to tie off my issues, it turned out the alternator was fine. The battery had a totally dead cell which was shorting it out internally. Must say, I've never had a battery die so suddenly, but it's fine now. I hadn't actually noticed, but the swivelling headlamps had stopped working, but they appear to be working fine now. I noticed as I pulled into my drive, and on consideration I think they had not been working for a few weeks. I guess the Legend likes it's battery in tip top condition, but it has always started immediately so I never gave the matter any thought. Anyway, all working fine now. :nodding:

10. vincemince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's a relief for you good to hear :zen::zen::zen:

11. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looks like I spoke too soon. My Legend has done 450 miles since the battery was replaced and my Honda Dealer stating the Alternator was fine. Yesterday, when started, the funny whining noise returned. I drove about 5 miles and parked. Went to start it again 15 minutes later, it fired up at once as always, but in one mile the whining noise re-appeared and shortly afterwards the dash lit up like a Christmas tree. First the battery warning light, not charging!! A few seconds later the SHAWD warning came up, then several others after that. Clearly I was driving on Battery only. So, I will be fitting the new alternator I bought last week after all. The dealer was going to send it back but my gut feeling was that I had not heard the last of this episode, so elected to buy it anyway and keep it just in case. Funny how the Gut feeling is often the correct one.

I got home ok, but what a difference it makes without the SHAWD working. Pulling out of a damp T Junction, it was wheel spinning all over the place. Now that I have got accustomed to having near perfect traction on any road conditions, it shows how good SHAWD actually is, I've never had any wheel spin before as the car just grips and goes. Hopefully fitting the new Alternator will cure this issue for good. Bit of a nuisance at Christmas time, looks like I'll be running Auntie Muriel back home in my Transit!!!
    Seasonal felicitations to you all.

12. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Happy Christmas. Might not be relevant, but I had those symptoms and it was the crankshaft pulley. With help from this forum it was explained that they are made of two pieces which under stress, EG when the belt is being changed, can gradually come apart loosening the tension and therefore disabling the alternator.

13. Maintenanceman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finland Henri Pälkäne
    ^Had that with my 1993 Legend Coupe, outer ring came loose from the pulley, rubber between them gave up. Got charging warning light twice randomly before it flew off:Smile:

14. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fitted the new Alternator and all seems to be working just fine again. The dealers were still unable to identify an actual fault, but it was producing very little current. I have briefly examined the old unit, and there is definitely a smell of burnt electrics. The shaft appears a bit stiff to turn but no lumpy bits as though a bearing had packed up!!!

Anyway, so nice to drive the "Ledge" again after 2 weeks in my old Transit. The car seems so fast as my van requires hard work getting up to 50 mph. Luxury motoring once more. Hopefully that's the issue wrapped up for good.:Smile::Smile:

15. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@captain trumpy good job on replacing your alternator!
    How long did you have to wait for the dealer to get it, though? I'm thinking of buying a spare one myself as they all seem to go at some point... how much is the new one?

16. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Timkk,
    The Alternator was obtained in 2 days by the Honda Dealer, whilst another independent garage was able to get one in 3 to 4 days, both genuine OEM Honda. List price is £590 although I managed to negotiate a small discount based on the lack lustre diagnostic ability of their service department, so with a bit of shopping around you are likely to take it in the shorts for around £550. I couldn't find a 'pattern' replacement. If there's no rush, you could get one using the link in the post above for a bit less, but I needed mine at short notice. The problem seemed sporadic, taking over 1000 miles of bizarre symptoms before it finally packed up. It appears the only diagnostic method used by the dealer was to check charging voltage with the engine running. I would have thought some more sophisticated analysis might be available!!!

The Alternator is unusually heavy, I guess because in normal use the car rarely gets over 1700 RPM on todays over-congested roads in the south east, so it needs some big magnets to generate enough current to run all the electrical stuff, which on LKAS models includes the power steering. As mentioned in a previous post, the old unit appeared basically sound, but a good sniff revealed the smell of burnt electronics. I would imagine some Diodes were progressively failing. It's all been a bit of a nuisance, but the car is so fabulous to drive, I can forgive it this misdemeanor. With luck, that's the last of the issue.

Likely early symptoms of impending failure might include, momentary glitches with the SHAWD light coming on for a second or two, the need to regularly re-set seat memory positions, the steering wheel stops moving when you take the key out, an additional whining noise after a cold start that lasts about 2 or 3 minutes and swivelling headlamps occasionally stop swivelling, although I didn't actually notice this until late in the process. The car had done 69200 miles when it failed.

Clearly, there appear to be some similar incidents of Alternator failures at around the same mileage, so perhaps this is an intrinsic fault with the Legend.