General Ask me anything about my 6th Generation

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Chunkylover53, Wednesday 18th Jun, 2014.

1. vsz New Member Getting Started

Hey all,
    looking to collect some info on these cars, as I plan to buy one sometime - hopefully soon. Can someone tell me if there are any major differences between the early and the newer models? Was anything serious changed or improved mechanically? Does it make sense to aim for a 2001-2002 make?
    Reliability wise, which engine is better, the 2.0 or the 2.3?
    Thanks in advance for any replies
    Viktor

2. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Most of the changes was cosmetic to keep it fresh looking, so new bumper styles and grilles, then small things like small fixed aerial on roof, then they fixed some of the issues that were on pre facelift like dodgy ignition switches. Not much was changed mechanically, not that I know of anyway, the engines, gearbox and suspension were perfect from the go.

As for the 2.0 amd 2.3, all engines are bulletproof, literally they will outlast the rest of the car and probably outlive us! The difference on those two engines are 2.0 is more revvy and far more fun to drive, you can thrash the engine to bits. The 2.3 is more lazy engine, doesnt rev as much, but has a bit more tourque, and they only came with the Type-V so you will get all the kit with the car.

Chunkylover53 and vsz like this.
  3. vsz New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the reply exec, do you (or somebody) know exactly when the facelift was?

4. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Facelift came from 2001 and onwards, not sure exactly what month.

5. E M Wynne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Mutly Leiden
    Chunky, What is the benefit of the rubber diaphragm in the top of the clutch reservoir...has anyone changed for a different slave...b.....d to bleed.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

7. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have changed a clutch slave cylinder. You need to take the rubber diaphram out of the master cylinder and put it back in the cap where it' supposed to be (it' fallen out) then you will be able to bleed the system.

8. E M Wynne Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Mutly Leiden
    Thanks, that,s whats wrong...on Honda tech. some people have substituted the master for a S2000...have you tried this mod.

9. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No, I didn't, since I no longer own a CH7, I'm on a CL7 now.

andy83 likes this.
  10. john123 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom john crawley
    hi i have a honda Accord Tourer 03 2.4 Type-S reg hy53 ysa and i want to purchase a towbar for it but i am not sure of the generation if its a 6th or 7th Generation one i need vthanks

Harvey likes this.
  11. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Your car is a 7th generation my friend. Where you looking for a fixed towbar or a detachable one?

super sonic likes this.
  12. smilegr8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A very good morning everyone

I recently bought a T reg Accord (1999) and very happy how it drives etc but the AC is blowing only warm air .

If you guys have time - could you possible write a troubleshooting list . Before I go to a garage to recharge the system I would like to know if the AC is mechanically "fit" .

When the A/C is one and it blows air at maximum - shouldn't the compressor start working immediately ?

On my 2011 Civic I can hear when the A/C kicks in - a sound like from a turbine lol

Ok cheers

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

There can be many reasons for your A/C not working.
    Blown fuse
    No refrigerant.
    Cracked seals
    Cracked pipework
    Broken compressor etc.

14. smilegr8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Checked the fuse box under bonnet - replace the 20A one , and swapped the horn relay (which works) with A/C related relay

Nothing changed

If no refrigerant - will the compressor stay still ?!

15. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Worth checking the condition of the condensor too. My one looks like its had it, I topped up refrigerant around 2 years ago, guy at the place ATS Euromaster said system found no leaks. Yet the air con wasn't blowing ICE cold as it should instead it was like a cool breeze and then 6 months later it was warm so the refrigerant leaked out.

smilegr8 likes this.
  16. smilegr8 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you

does the condenser look like a radiator ? sorry I have no idea

What part of the A/C system makes that turbine noise when u put the A/C on ? is the compressor or condenser ? The system is silent regardless if is on or off

How do I check the compressor if operates ok

many thanks

PS: I called a mobile company and the said that it will cost me £48 per hr to diagnose the fault

since the don't have a flat rate i said no - as may end up paying over a hundred just to find the problem ..

17. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Yep condensor looks like the radiator, sits infront or behind the radiator, can't remember which way.

The compressor when it turns on you can feel it turn on and it will make a light noise, but its not loud, your revs will go up a bit, you will lose small amount of power but the engine will be a bit more revvy as its sits higher. So in general you can tell when its on, it's subtle though.

18. aznspidey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom TN London
    Just bought my Dad one of these in excellent condition. Drives like new as it's only done 32K miles for an 18 YO car! 10 of those in the last 2 years.

It's a lovely example, but I think I'll change it within a year for an automatic as it's tiresome for someone a retiree to be using a clutch :Laughing:

Having driven it a bit, I've noticed a slight knocking sound (almost inaudible) in the rear when the car shifts weight under acceleration/deceleration. Anyone know what would be causing this?

19. Desperate Dan New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Dan Witney
    Got an accord F18b2
    Cooling fan issue that I can’t track down! Fans work when I bridge the coolant temp sensor!

Changed sensor, fans still won’t kick in! Trying to test the sensor now but anyone know what temp it has to reach to activate the fans?

20. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When I get a sec I will look at the electronic service manual for you

andy83 likes this.