Engine & Gearbox Auto gearbox low revs vibrations

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by karool, Friday 20th Jul, 2018.

1. karool Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Slovakia Karool Tn
    I´ve tried two new CR-V´s at the dealer in the beginning, both with 9 gear auto gearbox. Afterwards I purchased the used car(49000km) and I am experiencing quite annoying vibrations from low revs by city driving. With the new cars I did not experience much of a vibrations, but by test drive I may have not driven so slowly. The engine revs only around 1000rpms by 50kph . The gearbox always upshifts to 6th or 7th gear and revs are very low.
    Do you also experience great amount of vibrations to the seats in these conditions?
    Is there any way how to remap the gearbox to avoid 1000rpm by city driving? It is horrible. Especially in winter.
    The dealer told me that it is normal and there is no update for the gearbox available at the moment. Only suggestion was to use S-mode or downshift with paddle, which is great, but due to the fact that the car is used by my wife, quite unusable solution.
    I am using premium diesel. Honda UK wrote me to ask my local dealer.
    Thanks alot for any hints.

2. karool Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Slovakia Karool Tn
    Well, nobody is having a strange feeling with their car in low revs? My local dealer explained me that it is normal behaviour for such small engine and nothing can be done. Is it ok for you to drive by 1000rpm? Thanks

3. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    All cars react differently to low speed driving. A lot of cars do not like driving at 30mph in high gear. Solution is to use a lower gear. In my Honda auto I can use the 3rd gear button. This restricts the gearbox to using the 3rd gear as a maximum in town. It seems to work well. Does you car have a "sport button" or other function where you can alter the gears being used?
    Even my previous old french automatic could do this.

karool likes this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Hello @karool if i'm correct mate your CR-V is the 9 speed CVT gearbox not a standard automatic gearbox...

5. karool Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Slovakia Karool Tn
    Hello @andy83, it is a transverse designed 9 speed hydro ZF gearbox with dog clutches. Definatelly not CVT. The same is used in Evoque, Jeep and some Chryslers. With variety of engines. There is a S mode, so should I explain my wife to use S mode in low speed driving a standard D outside city? I have driven many cars, and I can imagine V6 engine with 1000rpm and 30MPH, but with 1.6 4 cylinder, it is really horrible. I am trying to find a way to change it, I tried with ZF but they told me that they can do nothing about, only Honda can do. Another option is to ask some tuners. That will be fun, how many kW do you expect from tuning? 0kW, only adjust the gearbox maps to normal
    - - - Updated - - -
    Or there is something wrong with my engine, because there is nobody else complainig about it... Some people suggested head replacement, but my dealer is not interested in...

6. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

7. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

8. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    CHeck the functionality of the S mode. On some gearboxes all this does is to change the gear change point, so that you can use more revs before it changes up, or it may restrict the gearchanges. I am not familiar with this gearbox. It is worth trying. I doubt you can get the gearbox re mapped.

9. Hatter Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    S mode on the Honda ZF box gives you manual change using the paddles.

andy83 likes this.
  10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Hatter I take your CR-V is same spec on engine and gearbox....

11. Hatter Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
  12. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would think so mate has yours ever had problems..

13. Hatter Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    No problems so far and we tow a caravan as well. Very rarely use the S mode, tend to use D most of the time and use the paddles, especially when towing, to go down the box for engine braking or sometimes to go up a gear when needed.
    Maybe the vibration for @karool comes from too high a gear when setting off. He said he's tried using the paddle to drop a gear but has he tried before setting off? If the conditions don't suit then the gear display will blink and revert to software chosen gear, but would imagine it would set off in paddle chosen gear then quickly change up.
    Also there has been some software updates for the auto box from Honda, I think mainly to cure changing down using the paddle as sometimes caused false neutrals, but other issues could be fixed as well, like vibration. Wonder if his second hand one has not had the update done? Dealer should know when connecting car to diagnostics.

karool and andy83 like this.
  14. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate that is some great first hand info, its surely got be worth check if there is any updates...

karool likes this.
  15. karool Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Slovakia Karool Tn
    Hello guys, thanks for your feedback and suggestions, unfortunatelly no update is available for my car. I am going now for regular service including gearbox oil change. So will see if this will change anything. I tried to get a quote from ZF authorised service, but the price for flush and oil change and pan replacement is quite high, so I decided to change it only by Honda.