b series oil pressure

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by murgy, Thursday 27th Sep, 2018.

1. murgy Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hi,
    I have just had my engine rebuilt with cp forged pistons and manley rods
    it has done around 70 miles or so but when I first start it up I get like an oil residue out of the exhaust and still smokes a bit when warm.
    major thing is though I have an oil pressure gauge which reads 100 psi when cold and that is it maxed out. also when driving and warm its at 100+ but fine on idle?
    any help will be appreciated
    Thanks

2. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Did you do the rebuild all by yourself? If so, did you actually measure all parts to check if they're within the specs? If not: go back to the shop that did the build.
    100 psi? That's far to much, no? The pressure is regulated by a valve, just next to the oil pump. Check that one please. Another thing that influences oil pressure: the oil filter. Is it an OEM one?
    With that kind of pressure no wonder there's some smoke escaping. Where exactly is the pressure measured? Just after the oil filter with a ring?

3. Beefy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    whats the oil pressure guage connected too? whats your oil level? has the oil pump been changed / uprated? definately get advise and an explanation from whoever re-built the engine.

andy83 and i-DSI like this.
  4. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    Also how did you run the new pistons in? Did you run it in on thin oil and then change it out? It's normal to have a bit of blowby on new rings until they bed in but I'd say the oil pressure is way too high.