Engine & Gearbox b18c4 swap, interesting vtec problem.

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by turbofish, Thursday 18th Aug, 2011.

1. Monty New Member Getting Started

I have also had this problem from day 1 with my B18 Swap in Ej9. It's a lil bit annoying. I was told it was a tempreture sensor but not to sure. I have cleaned Idle Control Valve and replaced it but no joy. Don't know what it is.

2. EJ9_B18_DMS Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Did you drive the car the engine came out of?

or did you just buy the engine?

honda_saj likes this.
  3. sj4x4 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I done the swap with him yes he drove the mb6 for about a month and it was fine as his d14 tentioner slipped so he drove the mb6 to get by ??

4. LIMER Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

have you hooked the earth wire up on the stat housing its directly underneath the dizzy if its there test you have a good earth

sam

5. Monty New Member Getting Started

It was fully rebuilt so there would be no problems but ended up this became one of them lol. Will try that earth.

6. sj4x4 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mate earth is there as we rubbed down the earthing points as that is usually a prob with the hondas

7. DeanoJDM Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know this thread is from a while back... But any luck solving this issue? Just done a c4 swap myself and I'm having exactly the same problems!

Cheers!

8. Wagg Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If anyone searches this I've started a thread to trying to get some help. I have the exact same problem. In an ek3. I don't think the EK9 loom is 100% compatable with the mota and basemap. 

I know this is an old thread.

9. TorqueCivic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to bump up an old thread but I'm getting desperate now has anybody ever found a solution for this? Mine does exactly the same thing! B18c4 swap EK9 loom..

honda_saj likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    So you don't get VTEC until car is fully warm ?

Temp sensor or earthing is what most of the posts were suggesting. Can you read the engine temp from ECU ?

Nels likes this.
  11. TorqueCivic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm thinking temperature sensor or something like that, the car reads warm on the dials just will not hit VTEC until the car is turned off and on, not sure about that one I'll have to plug it in

12. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    honda HDS could be various thing i suggest a scan for any DTC first

13. TorqueCivic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Plugged in no fault codes come up On Hondata

14. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    I suggest some logging data while driving will help further

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

TorqueCivic likes this.
  15. TorqueCivic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Any more ideas to try before I end up buying a new engine loom to potentially still do the same thing?

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have you confirmed that the VTEC solenoid is working ?

You could probably bench test it. If that is working, next thing to determine is the solenoid getting a live when engine should be in VTEC. Maybe worth hooking up a wire to run inside to cabin and putting either a multimeter or a bulb on it. This will give you an indication of whether you are getting a VTEC signal when engine should be in VTEC.

andy83 and honda_saj like this.