Tyres & Wheels Bearings - Am I safe to drive my car?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by buzzbee, Monday 3rd Sep, 2018.

1. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Buzz Berkshire, UK
    About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a noise that sounded a little like an exhaust blowing. However, the volume/pitch seemed to be linked to speed, rather than acceleration, which confused me. I have now realised that it is almost certainly the wheel baring.

Since I first noticed it, I have probably done about 400 miles.

My mechanic says he cannot look at it until Thursday and if it is the bearing, he will fix it early next week. Between now and then, I would expect to do about another 300 miles.

The sound is very much like the noise of a tyre on the road, coming through the car. There is no grinding, just a low pitched noise – Noticeable but not loud.

Do people think it should be OK to drive the car during that time? Should I keep to low speeds (About 100 miles will be on motorway)?

Also, does anyone know what sort of cost I might be looking at with an independent mechanic?

Thanks

2. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You don't say if it's a front/rear bearing that failing. but either way it's It's 50/50... you don't know how bad it is because you can't see it... I've had bearings like that be ok until I could get them repaired, whilst friends have had them completely come apart and the whole wheel half drops of the car... that's the risk... If it fails, the wheel/hub becomes detached from the drive shaft, it pulls out of the hub/knuckle.

Ask yourself if the risk of all that extra damage to suspension/steering and bodywork is worth it... Not to mention the risk to your own and others safety if it fails at speed.

Not trying to scaremonger... Just laying out the facts.

Do you want to end up like this?

andy83 and buzzbee like this.
  3. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I decided not to take the chance. I have another mechanic who has done a lot for me over the years. I left it at his place this morning. He will look at it tomorrow. I will stick with public transport for now

Heckler and Harvey like this.
  4. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it is better to be safe than sorry. I have heard of wheel bearings being noisy, but not having any play in them for many miles, and others being completely knackered to the point of total failure, but with no signs of noise at all, until the car is jacked up and the wheel play is checked.

Glad its gonna be sorted, but wheel bearings are not cheap, I would say £200 won't be unreasonable, just depends on which bearing has failed, rear ones bolt off and are relatively easy, front ones need pressing out and the new one pressing in.

andy83 and Heckler like this.
  5. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A wheel bearing itself isn't all that much.. I've had them replaced for less than £100... although not on the Accord.

Harvey likes this.
  6. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just did a quick check for non Honda parts... and lets be honest.. a non Honda wheel bearing isn't going to be much different from an aftermarket one. Whilst there are certain parts I'd only use Honda parts for... everything else is flexible.

So a rear wheel bearing can be had for between £30-40 and a front for £35-45.. or it may have been the other way round. It's not a complicated job... but you will need a press to push out the old bearing and fit the new one. So doing it yourself is a major problem if you've not got access to one... 30-60 mins is all it normally takes in my experience... and I've had a lot of wheel bearings replaced over more than 25yrs of driving.

Harvey likes this.
  7. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The rear passenger bearing went on my ICTDI 7th Generation accord late last year.

I drove around 400 miles on it and the sound just got louder - it was a risk but I didn't really have a choice. lol.
    I managed to find a Honda dealer seller selling new old stock of the rear bearing on ebay for the car which was £90 posted. Quite a bargain.
    When i eventually changed my bearing over it turned out that the hub was full of water, when i drilled out my ABS sensor the hole was slightly larger and water got in i guess.
    The water ruined the bearing and rusted it causing all the grease to escape etc.

You can quickly check the offending bearing my jacking up the rear end of the car and spinning each rear wheel to hear the grumble noise.

They are a fully sealed bearing hub unit hence why they are pricey. Typical Honda price is around £160 ish
    https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-accord-rear-wheel-bearing-2003-2008/

Not used third party parts but would recommend genuine as its a very important component in the car.

Its pretty easy to change over, they are not pressed in type bearings.

It is a full hub assembly and only held in my 4 bolts if your confident with changing brakes, I created a DIY to change the ABS sensor on the rear so it involves removing the hub bearing assembly.
    https://hondakarma.com/guides/2003-2008-honda-accord-rear-abs-speed-sensor-replacement.1841/

-Remove calliper and brake pads
    -Remove calliper carrier
    -Remove brake disc
    -Remove 4 bolts from behind the hub - holds bearing assy
    -Carefully pull bearing assy away not to damage ABS sensor
    -Install new bearing assy and follow steps in reverse
    -Done

A mechanic should charge around 1.5/2 hours job - maybe around 120 ish labour at 60 quid an hour perhaps.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    @buzzbee is your accord a tourer or saloon

9. buzzbee Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's a saloon

I have had it done now and it cost me £150 for parts and labour. It was the off-side rear

Thanks all for your advice

Harvey, Bounder and Heckler like this.