Detailing Best way to get rid of smoke smell

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Normski, Friday 24th Feb, 2017.

1. Normski Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Noman Leicester
    So I took delivery of my new-to-me Accord 8tg gen a day or so ago. Lots of things to do but the largest annoyance is the smell of smoke inside the car. Any recommendations please as to how to get rid of this??

Cheers.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I assume you mean the smell from previous owner smoking and not smell from engine fumes ?

honda_saj likes this.
  3. Normski Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

LOL! Yes I do :Smile:

honda_saj likes this.
  4. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure but I would think maybe a good valeter could get rid of it.
    Otherwise just clean everything you can maybe refresh the air con and if you have leather give that a good clean with some restorer.

honda_saj likes this.
  5. honda_saj Banned

United Kingdom saj east london
    Change cabin filter, if you smoke with ac on and recirc the filter smells of smoke otherwise Hoover and wash down of upholstery will get rid of smell

sent using tapatalk

6. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    take up smoking and you won't smell a thing!

On a serious note the filters and steam cleaning all fabrics would be the best way to go.

honda_saj likes this.
  7. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    honda_saj likes this.
  8. dshamrock2000 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland dave Kildare
    Change Filters and leave a plate or plastic container of baking in the car, it absorbs the smells. make sure all the windows are spotless, best to use a newspaper and vinegar(before the baking soda), vinegar is also a strong smell but great for stripping off dirt and no streaks will be left. If its a real strong scent id get it valeted also. Make sure its given back to you dry, steam cleaning can cause moisture to fall further into the fabric if its not soaked up as u go along and cigarette smoke will also discolor the fabrics right through when wet.
    - - - Updated - - -
    *Baking Soda

9. MickyB Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Some great tips coming in from everyone so hopefully the horrid beast that is cigarette smell will be banished for good.

andy83 likes this.
  10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    @MickyB we all got good karma and all sharing helps everyone in different ways..

honda_saj likes this.
  11. Normski Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You folk are great! Such a big thank you for the suggestions :Smile:

So...started with the cabin filter. £20 from the local dealer and fitted after checking out a couple of Youtube vids. The old one was quite nasty looking - apart from LOTS of dead insects there was a horrid smell of smoke in it. Not sure how often they should be changed but disappointed the 'full Honda service history' on the car seems not to have replaced it in a while.

Next thing is the roof lining. Having talked to a few detailing folk they all suggested this should be my first port of call. Brought out the Autosmart APC and started spraying and wiping as I went along. Back breaking work having to look up at the roof and clean so will take a while but managed to get a good amount done. Brought up the roof nice and clean AND smell free. Hurrah. The cleaning continues...

honda_saj, andy83 and MickyB like this.
  12. honda_saj Banned

Great stuff as said the cabin filter will sort out issues as said if you smoke with ac on and windows closed you contaminate the cabin filter.
    Let not get started about dealers and their poor service history let's just say I call them rubber seamless should say it all well for most of them.
    Glad your car is getting clean and TLC.

sent using tapatalk

MickyB likes this.
  13. honda_saj Banned

Should have read rubber stampers

sent using tapatalk

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Normski, if you can, put together a Guide/DIY to show others how you tackle this task.
    Have a look though other guides to get an idea of the format we have.
    It's really very easy to do.

I'm sure it will be very popular with the non-smoking members here.

:goodluck:

andy83, Normski and honda_saj like this.