Detailing Bodywork Tar Remover?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by legend-ary, Monday 21st Mar, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hi, Not really a query for myself but a family member with a pearl white car (lets assume it is an unknown brand) :Wink:

I was helping him clean it and it has a lot of tar like spots just aft of the wheels and the wheels themselves are diamond cut alloys and they have a lot of brake dust. I told him there are specialized products for this and he shouldn't 'rub' it down. Going through threads I can see a few products that have been mentioned:

CarPro Iron X
    Billberry Wheel Cleaner

Was wondering if there is anything we need to be careful of when using these? From what I gathered is that IronX is spray on, leave for a few minutes and same with Billberry.. .is that correct? I will use the same stuff on Katto so it is in my interest to make him buy the right stuff ;D

2. chris2982 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I use the carpro trix , which is a combination of the iron x and the tar x.. never had any issued, even on the paint work... not sure about the diamond cut alloys though.

CarPro UK - Search Results for "trix"

FirstHonda and legend-ary like this.
  3. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Each to their own and many would only suggest proprietary chemicals. I've found any type of light oil works WD-40, sunflower or strangely enough peanut butter works well. If your going to re-wax a petrol or white spirits rag will rid you of the tar quick and easy but it will strip the wax as well. I wouldn't suggest it for a new car but I use it once or twice a year before claying. We have two pearl white cars and the Irish version of resurfacing roads consists of tar and chippings. Does my head in.

4. PeteMM Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    diesel.

It really is as simple as that.

Makes the job very easy, follow it up with a proper wash and a couple of coats of good polish. I am guessing that the fact the tar has been allowed to build up it hasn't seen much in the way of polishing/waxing

5. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I haven't got any yet, but based on reviews this stuff is definitely on my next order.

@legend-ary if the car has been waxed, then as an easy solution available from Halfords the Autoglym 'tar remover' does a sound job, even though it sometimes need more work than the best products.

All of the tar shown on my white CR-V was easily removed with it, albeit it is thoroughly waxed (post #18)

http://hondakarma.com/threads/anyone-else-clean-their-car-today.21772/live?page=0

legend-ary likes this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    @FirstHonda as much as my cousin loves his car, he has always taken it to regular car wash places so I doubt there is even a micron of wax on it. He owned a pressure washer for 2 years and I was the one who used it on a car for the first time. I guess I will give him the options and let him choose. :Smile: but thanks for the links I am going to actually buy a claybar for Katto as you recommended in the thread.

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Make sure you use lots of lubricant (car soap and water in a spray bottle work well)

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire