Suspension, Steering and Brakes Brake upgrade.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by 1066Boy, Sunday 14th Aug, 2016.

1. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi all. I love my Type-S but I feel the brakes let it down a bit.
    They work ok but I feel they lack a little bite. Its just needs a bit more
    peddle pressure than I would like. Suggestions please.
    Do performance pads make much difference?
    Have I got to go as far as disc change?

honda_saj likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What condition are the discs and pads in ? When was the brake fluid last changed ?

honda_saj likes this.
  3. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Discs and pads are ok but not sure on the fluid. Will have a look in the service record. :Niceone:

honda_saj likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard T Milton Keynes
    Brake fluid is rarely changed unless specified by the owner. It should be done every two to three years.

What colour is the brake fluid in the res when you take the cap off? A dark golden colour or light yellow

honda_saj likes this.
  5. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

It looks light in colour but cannot find a record of it ever being changed.
    Will have it done at the next service. :salute:

honda_saj likes this.
  6. Mikey421 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I went so far as to put the four piston Brembo calipers from a FD2 in my FA5 Civic.

They came totally rebuilt thanks to my mechanic friend in Japan and have a fresh set of Brembo pads with them. They make braking hard fun and dramatically changed the stopping distance of my car. Best news is that they are ABS compatible so my car still stops nicely in rain or on ICE.

This is probably the most drastic form of brake upgrade, but if you want feedback from your brake pedal, this is the best way to do it.

The change of pads or fluids will refresh the system as well, choose your pads carefully. Don't go full race or you won't have confidence in your brakes unless they are hot.
    Street performance pads are best, EBC grenstuff works well. Minimal dust and great bite.
    Fluid should always be OEM unless a full race setup is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

honda_saj, SpeedyGee and 1066Boy like this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That must give some awesome braking power ! :Smile:

honda_saj likes this.
  8. honda_saj Banned

United Kingdom saj east london
    Wow that's an upgrade i agree about brake pads street pads like ebc green is fine for road red and yellow are more track pads and need to run hotter, the only other things i might throw in is braided hoses will reduce spongy feeling and fresh fluid will help and upgraded master cylinder would also have effect on another note some drivers think track pads will work on roads but they won't they should be put on car for track days if they really want to use them and keep car as road / track car

sent using tapatalk