Service & Maintenance Broken coil spring

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by accord1108, Tuesday 24th Apr, 2018.

1. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
  2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    hello mate have a look at this link now to get Honda part number on ling just delete the _pfk out of web address to get Honda part number, also mate I would replace both sides..

accord1108 likes this.
  3. jd1959 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    +1 on both side the cars suspension will be imbalanced otherwise. When I've dealt with broken springs before there is usually damage or deterioration in the rubber components. Might be worth investigating so you have all the parts before repairing.

accord1108 and andy83 like this.
  4. Sphinx Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes you may need to replace the top mounts - if they are perished

Also, not sure on the 8th Generation - but on the 7th Generation you need to remove the drop links and also get access to the rear parcel shelf to expose the 3 nuts for the top of the struts.

You will also need some spring compressors before you undo the "top nut" - as it is under load from the spring.

If you don't have spring compressors, impact gun etc.. best let a garage do it - expect to pay approx £50-£100 for labour for both springs to be replaced.

5. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Thanks for the replies, i have bought a set of spring compressors and springs, am i correct in saying that the entire spring/shock assembly removes as a unit, and the spring can then be clamped and undo the top nut.

6. jd1959 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Yes, you'll probably need to compress the spring a bit to get it out as well.

:stretcher: Please be careful if one of the spring compressors slip when that top nut is off you'll have a very heavy, surprisingly fast and powerful projectile.

Also be prepared for the shaft in the shock to rotate as well you don't want to mark the shaft (ie vice-grips) while trying to get the nut loose your far better off using an impact driver

Although not proper method and its your problem if you mark the surface, if your stuck with the grips method try and grip it as near the nut as possible, and a bit of garden hose wrapped around the shaft usually does the trick and keeps it safe.

accord1108, Sphinx and andy83 like this.
  7. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Thanks
    I will try an impact driver, hopefully that will move them.

Does anyone have a step by step guide for this job, specifically relating to the parcel shelf, seat back removal?

8. Sphinx Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

don't be tempted to use the impact driver on the spring compressors - take it slow and use a socket set. Yes its time consuming - if you use a impact driver - it can easily twist the compressor making it lethal.

Keep each spring compressor is perfect balance or they will twist/slip out and you will end up with a spring compressor stuck in the spring, believe me its easily done.

i used 3 spring compressors when i did mine.

Not sure on the 8th Generation regarding the back seat and parcel shelf - on the 7th Generation the seats fold down and the side bolsters were held done by a 10mm bolt i think. This gave access to the parcel shelf was was just clipped in - but didn't have to be completely removed as there was enough space to get a socket set on the 3 nuts holding the strut.

Did you buy the mounts as well? Might be worth changing those over - as you got it apart anyway.

9. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Hello all, Just to give an update,

I got the springs replaced, quite an easy job.
    Theres a plastic panel which you remove to access the two nuts at the top of the strut.

upload_2018-5-11_23-2-28.
    There is place to fit a hexagon bit in the top of the shaft, so no issue with it going round when unscrewing the nut.
    upload_2018-5-11_23-4-1. upload_2018-5-11_23-1-49. upload_2018-5-11_23-2-28.

The broken spring,
    upload_2018-5-11_23-6-8.

All bushes and rubbers were ok, i thought when removed that the shaft may have been bent, but luckily not.

jd1959 and andy83 like this.