Electrical & Lights Car locks itself and won't open

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Merk1981, Saturday 22nd Apr, 2017.

1. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So my FR-V has started playing up when I come to unlock it. The car sounds like it unlocks then immediately locks again. The lights flash several times. Even trying the key hole on the drivers door doesn't work. After a minute or so, the car eventually lets me in. Sometimes it will then lock itself once I'm inside.

Very, very strange.

The kids have been messing with the locks in the rear recently but I don't know if this is the cause.

Any bright ideas as to the cause would be very welcome.

I'm dreading it finally refusing to let me in at all once I'm miles from home and stood in a dark car park in the pouring rain.

P.s. the spare key doesn't help.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's bizarre !!

Do the hazards flash when it locks ?

Wondering if you have a faulty remote

Merk1981, DrSam and andy83 like this.
  3. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    If the key hole doing the same, I would firstly start by taking the door card off and checking for any trapped or damaged wires.

Merk1981 likes this.
  4. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, the hazards flash.

- - - Updated - - -
    Damaged wires is a possibility. I caught my daughter closing the boot lid by climbing in the boot then jumping out whilst holding on to the lid!

5. RobsyUK Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Check the basics first.

Check the locks in the door and around the bars the lock goes into.
    Could be a child's sock or something else blocking it causing the lock to try and then fail.
    Chances are there's something's just in the boot locking mech.

Normally if something is blocking a hinge or locking mech the door wouldn't shut fully.

But with a child's weight forcing it down (like a slam) it could force it over the foreign item and allow the locking pin to try and lock.

Merk1981 and DrSam like this.
  6. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, no problems this morning. However, this afternoon at the petrol station, I'm stood there for what seemed like an eternity trying to get in to my own car whilst attracting strange looks from other motorists.

DrSam likes this.
  7. DrSam Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Sit in the car and check if the driverside door lock, locks and unlock without getting stuck.
    I don't know what it exactly could be, just giving possibilities.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I suspect the issue is with drivers door actuator. If that is struggling to open and drops back down, the rest of the doors will lock again too.

Merk1981, andy83 and DrSam like this.
  9. RobsyUK Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    This is the same with Hyundai. (And probably all cars)

My mother in laws Getz had a sticky boot handle which was causing the same issue too

Merk1981 likes this.
  10. Beefy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    The tailgate outer handle is common for sticking. Could possibly be a multiplex issue as the multiplex unit attached to the rear of the drivers fusebox are common to give issues especially with the hazards. obvious checks are with the door locks themselves and go from there.

Merk1981 likes this.
  11. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I had a trouble free day today but clearly something is a little temperamental.
    I'll give the car a good checking over at the weekend when hopefully it won't be snowing!

12. iamandy New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Andy Tauton
    Hi,
    I have the same issue! Have you had any luck with solving yours? I'd be interested in your solution!

Many thanks,

Andy

13. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I traded the car in a few months ago. However, the issue seemed to go away of its own accord after a few weeks of reporting it on here. Bizarre.

14. iamandy New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Andy Tauton
    I wish mine will sort itself too! Many thanks!