Detailing Ceramic Sealant Sonax CC36

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by kazh72, Thursday 24th Aug, 2017.

1. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Hi everyone, as summer is quickly coming to an end, I’ve decided to give ceramic sealant a try. Ordered the Sonax CC36. Does anyone here have any experience with this product? Looks pretty straightforward to apply.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andy83 likes this.
  2. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So finally found some time and suitable weather to attempt the application of the CC36. Due to racing against the clock and the rain, I wasn't able to take pictures during the application. However, I will try and describe the process.

1. Prep. As I researched the topic of sealants, the message was very clear. The prep work is crucial in getting the best results. I thought that since I did the full detail (wash, clay-bar, compounded, polish and wax) earlier in the year, that I could simply wash and apply the CC36. Sadly on closer inspection, the surface was littered with scratches etc. Can't believe that in 6 months you can pick-up so much scratches. So I did a full wash and then a quick compound & polish using the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Polish. (Previously, I used the M105 and M205) Due to the weather, some parts only got a polish while the worst parts got both.

37112365952_968dbdfcd9_n.

(Approach. Due to time, I had to do this over 2 days. Day 1 was wash, compound and polish. Then I did the bonnet, passenger wing and front and rear doors. Day 2, I did the rest.)

36470330313_ea52cdee88_n.

2. Application Prep. CC36 comes with a prep spray that is used to clean and prepare the surface. I sprayed this directly onto the body and then wiped with a microfibre cloth. There is plenty and was very easy to apply and wipe.

3. Basecoat. I started off using the supplied microfibre cloth wrapped around the #1 applicator sponge, but in the end I ditched the cloth and used the applicator directly. The instructions (and the various video's on YouTube) say that you should apply small area (1/4 panel) and so I did two at a time. This game the first area time to dry a little before being wiped and it was also easier to keep track of where I've covered. The basecoat is very easy to apply and you can get around the body panels relatively quickly. I chose a overcast day to apply so I would imagine doing this in the sun to be more difficult as it would dry very quickly and would force you to apply 1/4 panel at a time.

4. Wait 1 hour.

5. Gloss Sealant. This was basically like applying a wax. Again this is supplied in an aerosol spray. The applicator is much larger (2x the #1) and you can go all out and over a whole panel at a time. Was really quick as the sealant and the applicator worked really well and covered the area well.

Customary water video shot. (link to Flickr need to work out how to upload video directly)

37142257091_dbb27d4979_n.

So what did I think?

+ The product comes with everything you need in a well packaged set.
    + Everything worked as described and was easy to work with.
    + Plenty of product. Probably can do 2-3 cars. I'm sure I have enough to do my car again and some touch-ups.
    + Looks pretty awesome and water repellent coating

- Could be considered expensive (£90+ but you can get it on Amazon for a little cheaper)
    - Need to do solid prep work (but this is for any sealant not just for CC36).
    - This is not a negative point for CC36 but the sealant application process really does show up any imperfections and scratches on your car.

So now only time will tell if this sealant will keep the car looking good through a British winter. Will keep you all posted.

Bones126, FirstHonda and andy83 like this.
  3. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate good review and look forward to reading updates, also how's the headlights mate..
    Thanks
    Andy

kazh72 likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Will be interested to see how durable this is over the Winter. I've read good reviews...

kazh72 likes this.
  5. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Thanks @andy83 the headlights are doing good. I applied the cc36 on them as well for extra protection. As it gets darker, will see how the whole LEDs work. I’m tempted to go HIDs but going to give the LEDs a good try.

andy83 likes this.
  6. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I’m hoping for the best. It would be great if all I need to do is snow foam!

7. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No problems mate extra sealing them sounds good idea with winter on the way...

kazh72 likes this.
  8. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    And here’s the video

Bones126 and Dutchstream like this.
  9. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    My new Lexus came with this applied - at no cost.

AutoProtect | Williams branded Ceramic Coat

I've never believed in these products, but this seems to be a step-up from Supaguard and the like and it does seems to have been well applied - by an independent detailing company rather than by the dealer for a start.

We'll see...

10. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    How long have you had it? Be keen to hear how it's doing over a period of time.

I had "detailing" done when I purchased my used car Honda Approved but basically it was no more than a wash and wax.

Good to hear Lexus IS doing a better job in this regard.

11. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Quick update. Did a wash and cleaned up really nicely.

0b26a1055ae4302f89948515d4a570b4.

Duc de Pommfrit and andy83 like this.
  12. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

looking very good mate, A very nice shine ...

kazh72 likes this.
  13. kazh72 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    @andy83 thanks. For now the ceramic coating is doing its thing. Let's see how long it lasts!

14. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

also headlights looking good mate..
    Thanks
    Andy

kazh72 likes this.