General Compliment from mechanic about i-ctdi

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dbrooks65, Friday 9th Feb, 2018.

1. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hi all

Haven't posted for quite some time - my account was locked for some reason but looks like it's sorted now.

Was at a local respected garage recently pricing up a bodywork repair and i mentioned i might replace my trusty accord diesel soon as it's getting on a bit.

Guy said "i'd hang on to that if i were you, great cars"

He then went on to sing the praises of the I-CTDI engine and Honda cars in general.

Anyway, it's made me have a rethink. :Smile:

k20a3 and Nels like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would still sell it and buy a petrol any day but that's just me.

Mugen_fd2 and Pottermus like this.
  3. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Lol, i see some things haven't changed @Ichiban - you still don't like satans fuel. :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why change a habit of a lifetime :spiteful:

dbrooks65 likes this.
  5. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can relate to that! lol

I don't care what anyone says!:Laughing::Laughing::Laughing: The ICTDI and my Accord has paid for itself probably 3 times over for me.
    Touching 175k miles and still on the original clutch, exhaust and turbo and without a single breakdown or issue so far.

Aiming to get to 250k - lol - it won't be too long especially with the miles i am doing.

If I had a petrol I would be spending 3 times more on fuel and 2 times more on road tax. lol.
    I really can't ask more from a daily commuter.

Will keeping it until it goes bang - lol

k20a3, Nels and dbrooks65 like this.
  6. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I thought i was doing well at 130k miles on the original clutch but 175k is outstanding. You only have to look on autotrader to see the high mileages these engines are capable of if serviced regularly.

k20a3 likes this.
  7. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Haha! Thats very true. I have heard of another ICTDI accord on another forum touching 450k. I think it was a taxi, that too was on the original turbo albeit the clutch was replaced.

These cars are worth so little now, especially with the mileage so always worth hanging on to them until something catastrophic occurs which deams the car uneco to repair.

Theres always an urge to upgrade though, always fancied a Lexus IS250 SEL or even a Honda Legend but the fuel would kill me.

Mileage Pic.

Its been a very cold week so just mananging under 50mpg, the aircon pump kicks in as soon as the car is started to provide heat within a couple of minutes. Its so awesome! My friends 2014 tdci Ford mondeo can't even do that. LOL. He says it takes 20 minutes to get any hot air out of his vents.

Pic taken after I serviced it last week on a very cold Sunday afternoon, using my last 6 litres of my 2nd drum of lubetech's 0w/30 oil.
    Need to order another drum.

Long live the ICTDI :Laughing::Laughing::jumpup::jumpy:

Just for info - I cover 2000 miles a month. (500 miles a week)
    Roughly £47 per week on fuel costs using only v-power diesel.
    Not bad eh!

dbrooks65 likes this.
  8. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Jinxed myself by talking the car up.......alternator chucked it this morning. In the garage getting fixed now.

9. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear about that, but the alternator on these I-CTDI's are vulnerable to go, did you previously have the older Aux belt routing?
    The older aux belt routing takes out the alternator over time.

10. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Still got the longer belt now mate. I knew about the revised shorter belt but never quite got round to changing it so i need to take some of the blame.