General Compliment from mechanic about i-ctdi

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dbrooks65, Friday 9th Feb, 2018.

1. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hi all

Haven't posted for quite some time - my account was locked for some reason but looks like it's sorted now.

Was at a local respected garage recently pricing up a bodywork repair and i mentioned i might replace my trusty accord diesel soon as it's getting on a bit.

Guy said "i'd hang on to that if i were you, great cars"

He then went on to sing the praises of the I-CTDI engine and Honda cars in general.

Anyway, it's made me have a rethink. :Smile:

k20a3 and Nels like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would still sell it and buy a petrol any day but that's just me.

Mugen_fd2 and Pottermus like this.
  3. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Lol, i see some things haven't changed @Ichiban - you still don't like satans fuel. :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why change a habit of a lifetime :spiteful:

dbrooks65 likes this.
  5. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can relate to that! lol

I don't care what anyone says!:Laughing::Laughing::Laughing: The ICTDI and my Accord has paid for itself probably 3 times over for me.
    Touching 175k miles and still on the original clutch, exhaust and turbo and without a single breakdown or issue so far.

Aiming to get to 250k - lol - it won't be too long especially with the miles i am doing.

If I had a petrol I would be spending 3 times more on fuel and 2 times more on road tax. lol.
    I really can't ask more from a daily commuter.

Will keeping it until it goes bang - lol

k20a3, Nels and dbrooks65 like this.
  6. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I thought i was doing well at 130k miles on the original clutch but 175k is outstanding. You only have to look on autotrader to see the high mileages these engines are capable of if serviced regularly.

k20a3 likes this.
  7. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Haha! Thats very true. I have heard of another ICTDI accord on another forum touching 450k. I think it was a taxi, that too was on the original turbo albeit the clutch was replaced.

These cars are worth so little now, especially with the mileage so always worth hanging on to them until something catastrophic occurs which deams the car uneco to repair.

Theres always an urge to upgrade though, always fancied a Lexus IS250 SEL or even a Honda Legend but the fuel would kill me.

Mileage Pic.

Its been a very cold week so just mananging under 50mpg, the aircon pump kicks in as soon as the car is started to provide heat within a couple of minutes. Its so awesome! My friends 2014 tdci Ford mondeo can't even do that. LOL. He says it takes 20 minutes to get any hot air out of his vents.

Pic taken after I serviced it last week on a very cold Sunday afternoon, using my last 6 litres of my 2nd drum of lubetech's 0w/30 oil.
    Need to order another drum.

Long live the ICTDI :Laughing::Laughing::jumpup::jumpy:

Just for info - I cover 2000 miles a month. (500 miles a week)
    Roughly £47 per week on fuel costs using only v-power diesel.
    Not bad eh!

dbrooks65 likes this.
  8. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Jinxed myself by talking the car up.......alternator chucked it this morning. In the garage getting fixed now.

9. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear about that, but the alternator on these I-CTDI's are vulnerable to go, did you previously have the older Aux belt routing?
    The older aux belt routing takes out the alternator over time.

10. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Still got the longer belt now mate. I knew about the revised shorter belt but never quite got round to changing it so i need to take some of the blame.

11. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Having a bit of a wobble - tempted to chop the accord in for a younger model.

Thinking 8th Generation tourer diesel or 4th Generation CR-V diesel.

Having spent £400 on a new alternator last month and with the knowledge I'll soon need 2 new front tyres, rear brake discs and pads and service due in a few thousand miles........do I spend the money on maintenance and keep my fingers crossed nothing catastrophic goes wrong in the next year........or bail out now?

2006 model, 130k, original clutch, turbo, exhaust etc. Manifold replaced by Honda under warranty.
    - - - Updated - - -
    ....and original VSA modulator. I know that's an expensive fix at around a grand.

12. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How much would the new car set you back?

To be honest, as the accord is not worth much now anyway i would run it until it goes pop.
    Of course some people want a change and it does depend how much usage you will get out of it.
    Considering your clutch is probably pretty tired now it must make the car harder to drive - so you must be thinking would be nice to get lower mileage car.
    (it is for me - now at 180k and still original clutch and turbo and exhaust)

Having spent the money on changing the alternator i would hold on to it for longer.

Even if mine when pop, i would buy another ICTDI. lol. they are throw away cars now but fabulous for racking the miles up on.
    I'm abit too attached to mine though - lol - so if something did go pop i would try all i can to put it back on the road

dbrooks65 likes this.
  13. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Could probably get a decent 2012 tourer for £10k but a good 2013 CR-V is more like £13k.

If only i could see in to the future. I'd be gutted if I spent another £400 on tyres, brakes and a service then it went pop. Conversely, happy to spend it if I get another year, maybe 2 trouble free.

14. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Pretty sure the accord should last another couple years, how many miles to you do a year.
    Yeah - i know what you mean about the money being spent.

If it were me, I would spend the 10k/13k on a nice toy :Smile: - would have to be an S2000.
    I don't care what i drive to work, its the daily. lol.

15. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Talking of toys I seem to remember a certain individual had the nicest Prelude I think I've ever seen. :nodding:

I do about 14k miles a year. Currently online pricing up tyres and brakes for the old girl.

Thanks for the therapy session @Accord_N22. Wobble over.....for now. :Smile:

Accord_N22 likes this.
  16. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks dbrooks65. I really do miss her dearly. Really regret selling her.
    Talking of S2000's. I have been looking at them and viewed 3 now. All have been dogs, despite looking mint on their adverts.
    I really do understand the hype with them, such a different world to the Prelude. Really does put a smile on your face - that gearbox, and gosh! that f20 engine. lol.
    Shocking how much they are now - seems all S2000's are kinda projects too.
    In a situation where it is now or never to own one. Seems like its not meant to be at the moment. lol.

No worries dbrooks, I always have the urge to upgrade the daily too. but its pretty hard to beat the value of the ICTDI accord.
    Even contemplating of getting the clutch changed. Maybe when it hits the magical milestone of 200k I might do it.

andy83 and dbrooks65 like this.
  17. Dave Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Barnsley
    Don’t worry about mileage mines done almost 213k and I use lube tech 0w30 in mine. My clutch has gone again after 30k so obviously my local Honda dealer did a great job of fitting it! The cars standard as well and mainly does motorway driving :Frown:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. jcalvarez Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Jose Dunfermline
    I'm always looking at used 8th Generation Accords, but always keep doing math, how much would it cost a low mileage petrol one ( circa £13K) or keep mine running. I recently changed all disks and pads, did a small body repair on a wheel arch, alternator was replaced in 2015 (all parts from HH). When you put together the numbers is more than the value of the car, but way less than buying a new one. Other than the alternator the car has never failed on the road.
    Decisions, decisions, decisions...

19. dbrooks65 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Same with me @jcalvarez - alternator was the only failure on the road.....and even with that I managed to limp it to my work before it finally chucked it.
    Anyway I have made a difficult decision and I've bought another car - 2014 Toyota Avensis tourer. Deal was too good to turn down. I'll miss my Honda though.

jcalvarez likes this.
  20. jcalvarez Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm also looking at that one, you can get an almost new one fully loaded for £15K, but can't convince myself...yet!

21. jcalvarez Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm also looking at that one, you can get an almost new one fully loaded for £15K, but can't convince myself...yet!