Electrical & Lights Converting headlights for driving abroad

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by lhazelden, Sunday 12th May, 2013.

  1. lhazelden Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    Hi all,

    I'm taking my car (2008 I-DTEC EX GT saloon with factory HID lights) to Europe next month and I'm looking to see if I need to buy headlight converter stickers in e.g. Halfords, or whether there is a switch to convert the headlights without the need for a sticker. There doesn't seem to be anything in the owner's manual about this.

    I know that some cars (e.g. BMWs and Audis) have a switch within the headlight unit, accessed from inside the bonnet. Does anybody know if the Accord has this?

  2. TheDarkKnight Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    Not sure there is a switch (if there is one, I certainly havent found it!).

    I'd say sticker jobbie is the way to go.
  3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

    Yep a set of eurolites stickers £5 from Ebay or Halfords might be quicker and easier, or don't bother like the French coming to the UK.

    If you really want to know call a Honda dealer or Honda UK customer service. Bet it involves the headlamp coming out.
  4. TheDarkKnight Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

    Better yet, avoid Europe altogether!! LOL :Rolf:
  5. lhazelden Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    Ok thanks guys. The car's going in for service soon so I'll ask the dealer to confirm this. Agree about avoiding Europe, but I am looking forward to introducing 221bhp to an Autobahn, out of the reach of the long arm of the oppressive state...
  6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

    United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The mother's Nissan has two 'ultra professional' pieces of duct tape stuck on the headlights.
  7. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

    Be careful as most sections of autobahn are 130kph (80mph), only a few 3 lane sections are delimited, some also just at night. Also during the day, too many trucks, just like the UK.

    Careful with using tape on lights also. As almost all lights are plastic, so black tape causes heat, melts the plastic. The eurolite stickers are silver and partially clear, so avoid this heat build up I assume.
  8. zimowisko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    Hi I have had the same issue as I am going to France next week,
    If you have Factory HID you do not need to do anything it is legal and safe to drive there and I have confirmed it myself on a light beam tester (beam pattern is almost flat so it does not dazzle others, most manufacturers do it this way nowdays) and in a Honda dealership, you only need stickers if you have halogen headlights.
  9. lhazelden Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    Interesting. I'll check with my local dealer when the car's in for service, and see if they agree.
  10. zimowisko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    The Honda dealership in Stoke on Trent confirmed my theory, this is also an EU legislation from now on as i have been advised by MOT staff I am myself VW mastertech, and all recent vw group cars come with halogen and led(new leon) lights ready for europe with no modification required obviously honda had that idea ages ago, on my HID`s when you look on the light pattern the beam goes up very slightly and then remains flat at a slightly higher level, on older vehicles the beam goes constantly up and does not flatten that`s where you need stickers
  11. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    Just as a matter of interest - and as I understand it - French drivers visiting the UK don't need beambenders or whatever because mainland Europe headlight dipped beams are flat, not assymetric. IE, the lights dip downwards, not to one side.
    I also think it's worth mentioning that the semi-transparent stickers you can buy do mark headlights if they are left on for a while.
    The best way is to find someone who has already bought them, borrow their leaflet with the mounting positions for various makes, then just do the job with a bit of insulating tape.
  12. zimowisko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    In europe the beam was not flat it was going up on the opposite side to uk so european mainland cars would need beam deflectors to drive safely in uk only fairly new vehicles are equipped with flat beam pattern i think us vehicles always had flat beam as well
  13. Julianp Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

    You can buy beam deflectors that work the other way round (i.e. for LHD cars in the UK); the onboard shops on the ferries usually have them. But I do miss the convenience of my old MG ZT, which was equipped with xenons and had a simple lever next to each headlamp under the bonnet to switch the dip pattern over.