General Courtesy Cars during service

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by MikeM-271048, Wednesday 9th Mar, 2016.

1. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Just put our CR-V through its 20000km service. Very pleased with the low cost (€160 - including only €34 for labour), but less happy about the fact that the only way of getting away from and back to the Honda dealership was Shank's pony. When I had my Hondas in UK, Evans Halshaw (or something like that) used always to give me a car for the day they were in for service. Has this stopped?

2. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think it's still the norm to expect a courtesy car if you get your car serviced by the supplying dealer. Some may try to charge for "insurance excess", but I wouldn't pay it. Might be different in Europe where they don't seem to charge so much for servicing/labour. Might not be enough margin in it for them.

I did make it clear to the dealer before buying my XJ that I expected a Jaguar courtesy car and not one of the Citroens that they used from a sister franchise next door. I remember having a 500bhp XF R overnight once, but was glad to give it back before killing myself or losing my licence.

3. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    When my Accord was in for its last service (Lincoln Honda) in December, it was going to be over night so was given a Jazz for the night and next day until I picked up my Accord. My car was not even purchased from them.

John

4. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    That sounds like good service John. In my case, the dealership that service our CR-V is the dealership from which (does that construction reveal my age?) we bought the car. Take the sales commission and RUN!

5. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Not only that it was MOT time yesterday. So as normal, tea, coffee and biscuits, washed and vac'ed and even sent me a video showing the slightly perished tyre valve's mentioned on the advisory note.

harry22673 likes this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I always get a courtesy car even if my car is only there for warranty work (which is rare!).

Usually a Jazz, sometimes a Civic. Always available, even though I need an automatic. All I need to do us specify when I book that I need one.

Harvey likes this.
  7. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    When I think about it, we didn't get a courtesy car in The Netherlands, either :Frown:. Must be a UK (and perhaps North American) thing.

8. John Dickson Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can always get a courtesy car from my dealer. I might have to wait a little longer until a day when one is available but that's no real problem.

9. harry22673 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Even though I paid for the service plan and all that they still want to charge me £10 for it
    Got to collect my son so I'll just get his nan to do it

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

"Courtesy" car

harry22673 likes this.
  11. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Can't be courtesy car. I remember the old notices they used to have at railway stations (both full scale and OO): "Courtesy costs nothing". So £10 puts it straight out of court.

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In most cases use of the car is free (a courtesy), the insurance is chargeable. Usually customers are encouraged to provide their own cover resulting in no charge whatsoever from the dealership for you, the customer to drive around their £15K car.

SpeedyGee likes this.