Suspension, Steering and Brakes CR-V lift kits

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by frenchie, Tuesday 18th Jul, 2017.

1. frenchie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James West London
    hi

Will soon be buying a 3rd Generation CR-V and interested in giving her a lift. Anyone know where I can get a kit and any opinions on what height looks best?

2. Eureka Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not directly related to the 3rd Generation CR-V but I am currently looking into lift kits for the 2nd Generation CR-V that I own.
    Seems there are a few options but none of them are easy to get in the UK.

With the 2nd Generation CR-V the kits seem to be either spacers that go between the strut mounts and the struts which are made of plastic or alloy.
    The other option being replacement springs and shocks but you may need to order them from overseas.

I have no direct experience of lifting a CR-V but it is one of the options I am looking at for my car. I am only looking for a small amount of lift possibly smaller than yourself.

3. frenchie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've a mate with a 1st Generation that has put in the spacers to get a lift. He does green-laning. For an older car it does look good.

I've noticed a difference in height between older and newer 3rd generations but I think an inch lift would be good

4. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Spring spacers are a good bet as you will retain the ride quality. Most lift springs are also uprated so make the ride a little on the firm side unless you are fully loaded with camping gear etc. :Wink:
    Depends how far you are going. If you are going larger or more appropriate tyres I can give you a few hints. :Smile:

Eureka likes this.
  5. Eureka Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's pretty much what my findings are. Some people rave about the OME (old man emu) springs and others have had nothing but problems.
    The strut to body spacer route seems to be popular with the Gen 1 CR-V owners.
    I think its the route I am taking with my car.
    Just need to decide which spacers and the correct thickness for the lift I want.
    1 to 2 inches seems popular.

6. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure with the CR-V as I have had nothing to do with them but I have modified several 4x4's over the years.
    Generally you can go up to 2" without much bother but above that you will probly have to start looking at replacing other bits to keep the handling/steering geometry correct.
    Also longer brake line etc because of the extra travel of the wheels. :Smile:

7. frenchie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

8. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

:tut: hell that's expensive. :Aghast:
    For that sort of money, Eibach replacement springs (30mm) for around £220.
    One other thing to consider is that a suspension lift will slightly improve your
    approach/break over/depart angle but for green lane use the thing that will most likely to
    stop you is ruts. Clearance under axle can only be improved by a taller tyre. :sage:

Last edited: Wednesday 19th Jul, 2017
  9. frenchie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

10. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nope, those are lowering springs. :Wink:
    I am a bit crap with computers so I can't give you a link so look on ebay item No: 281992083552.
    compaired to your old springs this will give you 1-2" :salute:

11. frenchie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

12. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Correct tyres will be more important than the lift. :Wink:

13. frenchie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok cool. I'm running 255/60 r18. Don't recognise the brand "wintrac xtreme". Suspect they are standard road tyres although they look a little chunky.

14. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not standard road tyres, they are Vredestein winter tyres. They will work better that standard road tyres as they are a softer compound.
    If you fancy a change I can advise on a appropriate tyre for your use. I am no Honda expert but offroad advice I can help with. :sage: :Laughing::Laughing: :Wink:

15. Eureka Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Spacers can be bought on ebay.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_...0.H0.Xcrv++2007.TRS0&_nkw=CR-V++2007&_sacat=0
    I have been messaging the guy & am about to order a set of spacers for my 2nd Generation CR-V.
    Not going for a massive lift but just enough to add the clearance for the tyres.

I will be changing the wheels and tyres at some point too.
    If anything when I get the lift kit fitted I will be going down a inch with the wheel size as it gives me more choice when it comes to tyres. (yes the smaller wheels will fit over the brakes)

1066Boy likes this.
  16. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Going down a wheel size is a good move. Larger tyre wall will protect the rims and give a better ride.
    Also way more traction when run at lower pressures.

17. frenchie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers. These tyres are basically new. I suspect I should get a second set of rims and put another set of tyres on?

18. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you can stretch to a second set it would be the best of both worlds. :Wink:
    I don't know what other size wheels will fit though? If you find a second set of rims give me the size and I will give you
    a list of appropriate tyres/sizes that will work well and keep within Honda spec (or close) :Laughing::Niceone:

19. frenchie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've spoken to the Mrs. We'll probably let this set wear out then replace with something appropriate to save having two sets of rims taking up space.

20. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Makes sense. When the time comes, have a look at General Grabber AT3's for all round use or Malatesta Kamel if you want to go that bit further off the beaten track. :Smile: