Pre-Purchase CR-V Newbie advice!

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by triggers broom, Sunday 26th Aug, 2018.

1. triggers broom Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello all, I am new on here so please go easy on me!
    It's possibly a bit late to be asking this, but here goes.
    We have just put down a deposit on a 2007 petrol CR-V I - VTEC EX 2.0 Auto (priced at £7.5k) at a reputable local 2nd hand car dealer showroom. The car has done 66k and seems in great condition with nothing obvious to make me think the milage is not correct. I have checked the HPI report and the MOT test record which proves the milage (unless the car was clocked in its first 3 years).
    We have spent a while looking for a replacement for my partners beloved Mercedes A class which we have owned for 10 years but is now showing its age and has been out grown by our children.
    We have looked at several different types of car and even considered leasing a new one but have come back to the CR-V as the favourite for space, spec and quality.
    My slight bug bare is that this car is only one year newer than her current car and I wonder if we would be better spending a bit more and getting a newer one?
    I am a life long Honda fan and have owned many Honda motorbikes but never a Honda car.
    Is there anything we should be looking out for with this model? What is the auto box like?
    I am going for a second test drive (in the dry), is there anything I should listen out for or be aware of?
    Is this model a good bet? We tend to keep cars for a long time. Or is this early model best avoided?
    Sorry for all the questions, any advice would be greatly appreciated before I part with my hard earned!
    Thanks,
    Paul.

2. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    You are planning to buy an expensive 11 year old car. DO you really need a CR-V or SUV type car? The Honda CR-V with the 2l petrol engine if looked after will last a LONG time. Make sure the service book is complete, but that can be a problem on older cars. If it doesn't have a good service record and full HPI check then walk away.

AN alternative Vauxhall Astra hatchback at £7,500, 2011 and with 21k miles. or a Honda Civic (bigger car) 1.8 petrol ( My son runs one and he thinks it is great) 2012 and ~30k miles. Or Peugeot 2008 small SUV 2013 1.6l petrol 20k miles.
    all from Autotrader
    You pays your money and live with your decision.
    Good Luck

3. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Hello mate 66K on an 11 year old honda is not bad, is her service history good due to age if not been done factor in cost to have all fluids changed, the r-series engine is a timing chain..
    Thanks
    Andy

4. triggers broom Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the advice, the price seems to be about right for the spec of the car and it seems to be in top condition. I have looked at others and this one is defiantly the cleanest. I can see cheaper ones on auto trader, etc but I am not willing to drive around the country looking for 'the one' for the sake of saving a few hundred pounds.
    This car has had 3 owners and has service records apart from the first owner which is annoying. I am fully accepting of the fact that with a car this old you have to judge it on its condition and how it drives. I just want to know if there is anything that I should be mindful of regarding this particular engine and auto box variant? We have only owned and driven Merc's for many years but the quality and choice of 2nd hand Merc's is not the same any more so we want to try something different and I figured that Honda was probably top of the tree when it came to Japanese cars.
    Are there any problems particular to this engine or gearbox?

5. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate both engine and gearbox should be smooth, is there any thing in service history to say when rear diff fluid has been changed or gearbox fluid...

6. triggers broom Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There are a stack of receipts from two different independent garages but I haven't looked closely. When do auto box and diff fluids have to be done?

andy83 likes this.
  7. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

8. triggers broom Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wow! Thanks Andy, thats really helpful.
    I am going to contact the dealer that originally supplied the car to see if they have any records of early servicing. We tried the car in the wet the other day which is never a good idea but I am going to go back in the week to give it a good run in the dry.
    It started on the button from cold and ran very quietly. After out test drive of about 4 miles it still idled quietly and stopped and re started fine but was a little more 'lumpy' at idle. This seems consistent with the two other CR-V's we have tried so I guess is a normal characteristic.
    Do Honda make their own auto boxes or use one from another manufacturer as many brand's do?
    The car has had a tow bar fitted so I don't know if that is a good thing but as I said, based on condition (inside, outside and underneath) it looks good.
    We looked at another 2007 CR-V on Saturday which was one owner and 26K miles. it was very clean inside and out but looked horrendous underneath and in the engine bay. it looked like it had been parked in the sea! I am glad that they don't all look like that after 10+ years.
    As I said, I am not familiar with Honda cars so I just don't know what to expect.

andy83 likes this.
  9. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate no problems happy to help, the lumpy idle would be hard to give a reason to as it could few things, do all dash lights go out as they should, she may just need a good service the gearbox is Honda's own automatic gearbox...

10. triggers broom Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, all lights come on at start then go off.
    Probably a daft question but how many gears does the auto box have?

11. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

5 speed AT :Smile:
    upload_2018-8-27_23-19-48.
    hope that helps....

12. triggers broom Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks again Andy.
    I have checked with Honda (they were very helpful) and they have confirmed the early service history and milages at each service so that is good.
    I don't know if it has had ATF and diff fluid replaced at the later (indie) services but that is something I will look into getting done.
    We also contacted Honda Oxford for advice and they offered us a 'free' safety check so I guess this could be a worthwhile thing to do?

andy83 likes this.
  13. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello mate your very welcome i'll put you some more helpful info when you get chance get Honda Oxford to do a recall check on the CR-V, it might be worth getting them to do your gearbox fluid and rear diff fluid here is some links to the fluids
    https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-atf-dw1-4-litres/
    https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-CR-V-rear-differential-flushing-kit/
    both of them would be the best advice for the fluids, I know others might think I go on but then it comes to the automatic gearbox please do not use Dexron fluid...
    also if you do the gearbox fluid and rear diff make sure to get new washers
    https://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/honda-shop/genuine-honda-20mm-washer/
    if need be will get that double checked...
    Thanks
    Andy

14. triggers broom Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did see that it had had recall work done by Honda in the last couple of years. I think it was to do with seat belts but that may not be the case.

andy83 likes this.
  15. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate any recall is free and Honda are good at getting recalls done...

16. triggers broom Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update - I went for a second look and test drive this evening. Firstly now the car was dry I noticed that the front and rear bumpers are a slightly different shade of silver in comparison to the rest of the car possibly due to re painting or because the paint is on two different materials? Then I noticed that there had been a repair carried out to the front passenger side door. Neither of these things bother me too much as I would expect an 11 year old car to have had some minor repairs done.
    On the test drive the engine was quiet, smooth and responsive and the gear change and kickdown fine. But at speed on the motorway the there was excessive road noise and vibration. The vibration could be felt when driving but was not so noticeable when sat in the back.
    The car is on 18" wheels and is fitted with quite chunky Dunlop tyres. Three of the tyres have plenty of tread but one of the rears is nearing the ware indicators.
    I am now concerned about the noise and vibration. It could be the tyres, which could be quite old or it could be the prop or diff, I just don't know as I have no experience of this model of car.
    The car is in in first rate condition inside and out apart from what I mentioned above.
    I'm not sure weather to walk away from it or take a chance with it?

17. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate I feel this hard to say for sure what it could be, is 7.5k your total budget also have you searched Honda own used cars section...

18. triggers broom Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

We could spent a bit more but I have looked at prices across auto trader, eBay, etc and this one seems about right price wise. You kind of know when a car feels right and this one does apart from the above.
    I could wait another couple of weeks and see what comes up for sale when people start trading in for the new reg but I don't think it will have much of an affect on prices, there may be more choice though?

19. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello mate just thinking some road noise could come off the type of tyres on her, have you spoken to the garage about the vibration, I get your point about the car feeling right, did you get any full lock slow turns in was there any noise when you did this from rear..
    Thanks
    Andy

20. triggers broom Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will talk to the garage today and see if they will sort out the vibration before we commit.

andy83 likes this.