Electrical & Lights CR-X - Light problems - pretty urgent

Discussion in 'Imports & Worldwide' started by swampyjason, Friday 13th Jan, 2017.

1. swampyjason Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone. Hope you are all well.

I'm going to skip all the fancies, and just say it how it is - and the problem I'm having.

I have a 1990 Honda CR-X. This morning, I was re-doing some bodged wiring that a previous owner had done with the rear plate lights. This was at 6:30am - I had been working in my garage all night getting it ready for the following day, so I was a little groggy. Which helped me forget to disconnect the battery when doing so.

Suddenly, I heard a slight pop at the front of the car and then all of a sudden, the tail lights, dash lights and turn signals stopped working completely - but my amber warning lights still flash and my headlamps still work.

It was my own silly mistake and I believed to have shorted something out. I've checked all fuses and non of them seem to have blow. So I'm thinking either a resistor or relay? What do you think?

Any help would be fantastic, thanks :Smile:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    First thing would be to locate the short. Once you have determined and rectified that you can then start looking at fuses.

You said you check all those already ? How did you check them. I assume there is a fuse box in the engine bay as well as one in the car on the CR-X ? Hav eyou checked fuses in both ?

3. swampyjason Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How would you recommend going about locating the short of this nature Speedy? Yeah, there's an engine bay fuse box and an interior one under the steering wheel. I only checked them visually whilst still in the box, but I haven't pulled each one out to inspect them very closely just yet. My guess is that if it is just the fuses, quite a few must have gone haha.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Best way to check fuses is use a multimeter or a 12v probe.

I would first start by getting hold of the wiring diagram for you car. From the wiring diagram try and work out the common point for all the things are now not working.

It could be that you burnt out an earth wire that earths all the things that are now not working, you should be able to see this from the diagram.

5. honda_saj Banned

United Kingdom saj east london
    @SpeedyGee you would definately need a wiring diagram and then using a multimeter you can check for ground and shorts by using continuity mode. Make sure you disconnect battery first before making measurements prior to that check all fuses.

swampyjason likes this.
  6. swampyjason Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good call - just stick a probe on each end of the fuse and get a reading right? :Smile:

That's a good idea. I have a full workshop manual for the CR-X which contains all those. So I will give it a good read and then report back. Thanks for the replies Speedy.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Will do, thanks. Will see if I can borrow my friends multi-meter. I'm hoping its just something simple. 4th gens are usually simple. My car doesn't even have a conventional ECU :')
    - - - Updated - - -
    It was supposed to be MOT day today as well. And then boom, this happens lol

honda_saj likes this.
  7. honda_saj Banned

United Kingdom saj east london
    they say when problems come they all come at once, i was suppose to go work the other day and was low on fuel when my clutch master cylinder failed, after having that replaced now 3rd gear is crunching so thats just they way it goes some times hope you get sorted if you need any help with wiring i do have a national diploma in electronics and am good with wiring just pm or post here
    - - - Updated - - -
    the other way to test would have to be use honda HDS to do functional test ?

swampyjason likes this.