Tyres & Wheels Cross-threaded wheel studs (or lugs?)

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by agadza, Friday 15th Jun, 2018.

1. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Agadza London
    Hello Guys,
    I had my rear wheels changed and the tyre man said he could not put one of the wheel nuts back on because the thread on the stud was crossed. He said it was an easy fix to have it re-threaded.
    I read around and realise that this is an MOT failure point and could thus invalidate my cover. Need to get it fixed ASAP.
    Does anyone have the experience of going through this dilemma? What kind of costs am I looking at?
    Thanks in advance.

2. snow-plough Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have not done this on a CR-V so this is theoretical.

Firstly check it is the stud and not the nut, i.e. try another wheelnut on the stud.

If it is the stud, you need to replace the stud.
    The least destructive method is to remove the hub as if you were to replace the wheel bearing, (you will need a hub puller).
    Then on a flatish surface (e.g. the top of a vice) hammer out the old stud and hammer in the new.

There are plenty of videos on youtube showing people replacing the stud without removing the hub, but you will see the damage they do to the car in the process.

A garage should be able to do this in an hour if they have the right tools i.e. a Hub puller and a bench press. It might be that the Honda dealership might have a specific puller which would make the job easy.

agadza likes this.
  3. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

HI Snow-plough,
    Very many thanks for your response. Will check the nut and let you know how I get on.

4. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    Studs are around £5 each from Honda. I've replaced one on my old FK3 Civic before without removing the hub or doing any damage. Rotating the hub, there was a gap I could hammer the stud out through and the new one back in quite comfortably. Even if the hub needed to come off, stud replacement over re-threading always

Nels likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

6. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks, all.
    I checked and it was the stud. The nuts are fine.
    Still haven't managed to get an appointment yet (work schedule is very hectic these days). Will keep you updated.

7. agadza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just got this sorted today. The labour cost more than the part :lol:! Came to some £56, with the stud costing £3.99!
    Well, at least it is done now.

8. Dean Vincent Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dino London
    Glad it's fixed. But if your tyre fitter cross-threaded it then he should pay your bill.