D14A1 Twin Carb

Discussion in 'Honda D-Series' started by JSaliba92, Sunday 12th Aug, 2018.

1. JSaliba92 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jack Romford
    Hey Guys

Anyone who owns an ED2/EF Civic with the D14A1 Twin Carb; my mates car is having overheating issues at high speeds going to max on temp gauge. Anyone has any suggestions on potential causes water pump or thermostat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blaxy010 likes this.
  2. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    If it was the water pump not working I'd expect it to overheat all the time not just at high speeds. I would start with the thermostat first. I'm guessing you've already checked that the coolant level is right and there's no air lock.

Take the thermostat out and boil the kettle. Put the boiling water in a tub and drop the thermostat in it so it's completely covered and see if it opens or only opens partially.

3. JSaliba92 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah mate we have checked for air locks the coolant level isn’t over max and when we run it only seaps a little. But I think we are changing the thermostat out see if that does it; however I also feel the water pump will need changing where it sat for nearly 2 years; would H tune be good to get this as they sell quite a few OEM parts?

4. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    Yeah I've bought from H tune before. If you definitely want OEM I'd try your local dealer too or if you phone Holdcroft Honda and tell them you're part of this forum they'll give you a discount.

If you're changing the water pump you might want to think about changing your cambelt too seen as you've got to take the belt off to change your water pump.

JSaliba92 likes this.
  5. JSaliba92 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sweet as mate; I’m gonna pass this info onto my mate; and also that’s good to know holdcraft Honda do discount through this forum; appreciate the advice big time mate

andy83 and Hondalad like this.