Dealer advise gear box oil change

Discussion in '4th Generation (2015)' started by Neo, Wednesday 16th May, 2018.

1. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neo Birmingham
    Found this quote on Honest John. Have any one of you guys had the oil replaced?

"21-2-2018: Report of Honda dealer advising owner of Jazz to haver manual transmission oil changed at 2 year/13,000 mile service at cost of £75. Probably to ensure no shrapnel gets into the transmission bearings, an old failure problem with Jazz."

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Umm they must be sitting on a few hundred litres of old MTF2 to shift to say that. Take no notice ideally you should drop it every three years.

andy83 likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

For CVT on your year Jazz is every 25k or 2 years. MT is a much longer interval.
    Which dealership told you this?

4. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

5. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    The MTF oil in the 1.4 I-DSI engine in my wife's Civic (100% same engine as in the Jazz at the time) needs replacement every 6 years or 120k km. Same for the 2.0 i-VTEC in my Accord.
    So I did already change 2 times MTF (because of mileage in my car and age in the Civic). But every 2 years??? MTF is due now (again) on the Accord. Will do it monday. But the car has covered almost 240k km.
    In severe conditions it needs changing every 3 years. As @Ichiban says: if you try to sell this oil every 2 years you must be sitting on a huge pile of MTF !!!

6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

andy83 likes this.
  7. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Talked to Honda customer service yesterday and they are not aware of the problem for the latest model.
    I think Ichiban is right that the dealer is trying to make more money.

Looking at previous models and other Honda gearbox bearings failures they are quite dramatic. The ball bearings are missing from the race assembly. In my opinion it is a fundamental flaw design or material being used. I don't foresee general metallic debris from the gears are going to cause the ball bearings detached off the race assembly. I hope Honda have used a different part or supplier for the current Jazz.
    I will get it replaced as per schedule (around 50k miles??) so won't be too concerned with the dealer recommendation.

8. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Mate, I have no clue at all what you are talking about or referring to. Please teach us something. This is new for us.

andy83 likes this.
  9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is all this coming from first hand experience of what you’ve been told by a dealer or what you’ve read that’s happened to someone on honest John?

andy83 likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Please state the source of this information.

11. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Nels..
    I have been very cautious about changing oil in my cars. So I have spent vsme time looking at different sources of information mainly from other forums with problem description and links to data with images showing the missing bearings.

As I said these problems were discussed on previous Jazz and other Honda cars and I don't think it is a problem in our current Jazz.
    I think it is the dealer assuming the current Jazz has the same problem as previous models when the bearings fails at very early mileage. I think the dealer is wrong recommending replace oil... In my opinion it will not prevent the ball bearings from coming off its location.

So for the current Jazz model, I think there is no panic. Just change the oil as per recommended schedule.
    Sorry I may have caused some confusion due to my poor English.

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

For the benefit of our members, please tell us where you found this information about the bearings.
    Is it from the dealer? If so, which dealer?
    If it was online, what site?

Whilst my Hondas are quite modern, there are many owners of older models and this is news to us.

13. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok will try try and backtrack my search history on my browser. Will try and do it later on as I am enjoying the sunshine today...

14. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Nels mainshaft bearings were quite common to go on 02-05 cars. I assume he’s on about them.

Not the end of the world though. Replacement parts were/are £80 and Jazz gearboxes aren’t the most complex.

i-DSI, andy83 and Nels like this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

TY. That clarifies that.

16. K24 CL9 GUY Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
  17. Neo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Potermus, thanks for the name of the failure you referred to, it is the main thrust bearing.