Dealers/Garages Dealers using the correct engine oil

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by Nels, Saturday 8th Aug, 2015.

1. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Very true.
    I do not believe the 2nd choice oils are bad. They are, after all, recommended by Honda. However, unless otherwise stated, Honda dealers should use the 1st choice oil as standard. I have no problem with them
    offering the 5W-30, but make it clear to the owner before the service is carried out.

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Sad to report at my last service at HH a few days ago 5w-30 was used for DTEC. Still, save a bit of dosh even with the drive up north as had quite a few things done. But still, it's a bit of shame 0w-30 isn't the oil that was used or I wasn't advised that a different one will be used. I always buy 0w-30 from Honda and get the local garage to change it for me. I guess next time I am getting a car done at a dealership I will need to confirm the oil used before booking it in.

Last edited: Wednesday 2nd Nov, 2016
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Tut, tut HH.
    I have learnt to confirm everything and have it written on the work sheet, before they get the keys. This includes the 'Do not wash or valet my car'

4. Holdcroft Honda Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

0w30 is available upon request at an additional cost.

As 5w30 is an accepted grade by Honda, we use that to keep the costs down. Otherwise our services would have to be on average £30 more.

legend-ary likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I thought it 5w30 was acceptable when 0w30 wasn't available?

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's fair enough, but it would be more 'customer friendly' if this was pointed out at the time of booking in.
    Just a suggestion :Smile:

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. Superdave Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It would appear that 5w30 is not your default choice as when my Accord was serviced on 31/08/16 you used Fuchs 10w40 Titan P, well that's what is printed on my invoice, I would very much like Holdcroft to clarify just exactly grade they will be using in the future, ref my comments on this thread last year, you have always stated 10w/40 was used on my vehicle.

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Lol, can open, worms EVERYWHERE...!

:Laughing:

9. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Its nice for the customer to be informed and have a choice!!!!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

10. Holdcroft Honda Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Your car is a Petrol, we were discussing diesel.

We have a variety of bulk stock and generally use as follows:

Older Diesel Technology 5w30 Fuchs Titan Pro
    Newer Diesel Technology Honda Earth-dreams Green Oil
    Older Petrol Technology 10w40 Fuchs Titan Pro
    Newer Petrol Technology Honda 0w20 Type 2.0
    Hybrid - Honda Green Oil

There are exceptions of course. Any S2000s or ATRs we put in Honda 5w40 or unless the customer requests a specific oil and then we price accordingly.

You have to remember that 95% of our customers do not really care about what brand or grade oil goes in their car, as long as it's suitable. Something that we go to lengths to make sure. Getting bogged down with Mr or Mrs X about oil options at the point of booking would most probably confuse the majority of customers as both/all grades that we provide are suitable. Where do you stop? right handed or left handed technician working on your car sir? You guys are a little more clued up as it is not only a car but an interest and as such like to be more specific in choosing what goes in to your car. We have many HK members indicating what oil they would like in their car when booking in and we let them know if there would be any charge for that.

rsz_oil_drums.
    (We also have a 1500ltr tank of Fuchs 5w30 out of shot)

Roadrider75, garf8v and legend-ary like this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Holdcroft Honda likes this.
  12. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Surprised to see the I-DTEC is already considered an old diesel. Either way, I'm sure 5w-30 is fine if Honda says so. But just coming as a member and asking for a good service, taking a day off, driving all the way to Stoke, I was expecting the 0w-30 to be the norm, as it's included as a default oil used with another dealer I have used in the past.

13. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I recently ordered my oil/filters for my FR-V's and spoke with Lee. I did ask about grades (and cost!) and had a very pleasant conversation with Lee regarding the effect of different grades. I f I hadn't asked, I wouldn't have learnt so much! Whilst I think I was lucky to get Lee, it proves it is worth asking HH so you are prepared!

legend-ary and Holdcroft Honda like this.
  14. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    My brothers car was due a basic servise (2.2 diesel ICTDI) . Decided to phone 3 dealers to find out cost and oil type to be used. All dealer can be back saying they would be using 5w-30 oil variant with Castrol/Mobil/Fuchs being used at respective dealerships.

Ideal world they should be using 0w-30 oil but as the 5w-30 is much cheaper this is what they use. So team, please be aware of this.

I will now be doing the service on the car using the right products. One garage did mentioned they could get the 0w-30 stuff in - but you never know if it does come ?!

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. aussi55 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Bracknell
    Hi,
    Having obtained a copy of my cars prior service invoices 5W30 has been used instead of the preferred 0W20. This was at Reading Honda, car is on a 5 year service plan. When I asked my local dealer they would be happy to use 0W20 going forward under the remaining 2 years of the plan.

Same group, different outlets, I guess if you have a plan or not it just pays to ask and if necessary point out why.

andy83, Ichiban and Nels like this.
  16. RBD New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom David Gainford
    First service carried out last week by Harratts at Wakefield. Total 0W -20 used without charge.

17. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On a 17 1.5 0w20 is the default grade. Nothing else is suitable unlike other models in the range

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Does Total 0W-20 meet Honda's requirement regarding the other ingredients?
    I only use Honda or Castrol Edge H 0W-20.

19. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wouldn’t know about Total. I’ve only experience of the genuine Honda oil

andy83 likes this.
  20. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Always take my own oil to the dealers when its due a service, oil came from Lubetech.