Tyres & Wheels Disc brake unit is jammed on - any idea's?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by NickC77, Friday 1st Jun, 2018.

1. NickC77 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Nick Worksop
    Hello
    New to this site, so hello to you all.

My problem. Was attempting to remove the rear driver side disc assembly to give it a clean out as part of my job to stop the rear brakes binding.
    Removed the caliper assembly and thought i would give the disc hub a few taps to loosen up any crud before removing it.

Three taps later and a pin dropped on the floor. Its approximately 40mm long looks like a nail with a spade end, and i'm assuming its a retaining pin for the handbrake shoes. Since then the disc is impossible to rotate and it will not pull off. Some lateral movement and i have tried winding x2 studs into the threaded holes to pull it off - this doesn't work.

Supposed to be driving down country on Saturday so an urgent answer is required. Can any of you offer some idea how to fix this?
    All the best

andy83 likes this.
  2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    B__1920.
    mate pin you talking of is it number 18 in diagram...

3. NickC77 New Member Getting Started

that's the one
    - - - Updated - - -
    I think something has somehow allowed the brake shoes to spring out against the drum. Manage to get the inspection hole around to view the spring on the lower left but not managed to unhook it. Do you think that would help or make it worse?

4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

o dear mate so now just working out best way to do this if me right its like a retainer ...

5. NickC77 New Member Getting Started

No 11 in the diagram looks like the adjuster i'm hoping to find. Off to have a look now. Will be back
    can't get the disc to move around now.

6. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

11 is main adjuster mate I can confirm that for sure...

7. NickC77 New Member Getting Started

What is i were to disconnect the handbrake cable? I assume its in the cab somewhere?

8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate unsure on handbrake end of cable but I know it goes though the shield to go on to shoes..

9. NickC77 New Member Getting Started

Yes, traced it back to there but found a clip on YouTube from the USA where it was in the cab. Looks like mine isnt the same as no sign of nothing under the carpets.

10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate I got idea these some info on here of it will do my best to find it out...

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The adjuster should bring the shoes back in a little, but if the inside of the drum has a thick lip, then that could be what's stopping it from coming off easily.
    How old is the car and how many miles has it done?

andy83 likes this.
  12. NickC77 New Member Getting Started

People, thanks for your input to date but the war is not won.
    I did eventually manage to get the disc off after plenty of blood, sweat and tears. The pin
    that had been previously damaged and subsequently fallen out had indeed allowed the shoes to spring out against the hub.
    Now everything had been referenced against the untouched side and put back together but battle 2 has started.
    With both discs back in place the handbrake was still bouncing around, and when pushed downward it simply sprang back with no ratchet noise/feel.
    Since then both rear discs are as tight as you like and won't move without a fair bit of effort.
    I have tried the adjusters within the drums and this has little or no effect. Is there someway of releasing the cable to let the shoes retract?
    Mine is a 2010 model with 46,000 on the clock.

andy83 likes this.
  13. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hello mate is everything sitting back to shield ok
    1442019_fittedsheild.
    that on honda stream mate, I take it you mean the other adjuster being on handbrake end, i'll try finding out more info mate but hopeful an FR-V owner will be along to tell us where the hand brake end adjuster is mate..

14. NickC77 New Member Getting Started

Found the adjuster. Push passenger seat as far back as possible. Small flap in carpet to lift and there it is the little ....
    Will report back as to the size when i get something on to it.

andy83 likes this.
  15. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ok mate was the brake shoes genuine honda ...