Electrical & Lights 'Disco' Dipped Healight

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by LostBoke, Wednesday 12th Sep, 2018.

1. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    For the first time last night I took my car out at night. The offside dipped headlight was flashing on and off and staying blue in colour ( the nearside one starts blue and turns white in seconds). Today I tried to check the bulb. The only manual I have is a U.S. one and the guide on this site both said to go in through the wheel arch - wrong, The only thing behind the arch cover is the windscreen bottle. Never mind, go in through the bonnet, fine. I get the cover off of the bulb (with it's slightly worrying 25000 volt warning sign), but can I get the damn thing out? No! I know I have bananas fro fingers and cannot swivel my eyes into funny places, but can someone please tell me how to get the bulb out? Or, is it something other than the bulb, like the power supply?
    Thanks

LB

2. John Hamer Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Can you locate a spring catch on the bulb holder? it has a loop on the end, if so press toward the front of car then rotate. But this may only regard the 7th Generation.

Exterior Light Bulb Replacement

Headlight (High Beam)
    1. To replace a bulb on the left side for K24Z3 engine model, undo the fasteners (A) and remove the air intake cover (B) and duct (C). To replace a bulb on the right side, remove the engine coolant reservoir tank by pulling it up of it stay.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A
    B
    C

1. Disconnect the 2P connector (A) from the headlight.
      Headlight (High Beam): 60 W
    1. Turn the bulb socket 45 ° counterclockwise to remove the bulb.
    1. Install a new bulb in the reverse order of removal.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A

Headlight (Low Beam) (Without HID)
    1. Remove the screw from the inner fender, and pull the inner fender back.
    1. Turn the cover (A) 45 ° counterclockwise to remove it from the headlight assembly.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A

1. Disconnect the 1P connector (A) from the headlight bulb (B).
      Headlight Bulb (Low Beam): 55 W
    1. Pull the retaining spring (C) away from the bulb then remove the bulb.
    1. Install a new bulb in the reverse order of removal. Make sure the notches in the bulb align with the tabs in the headlight.
      NOTE: Do not touch the glass of the bulb with your hands. If necessary, clean the glass area with alcohol.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    C
    B
    A

HID Bulb (Headlight Low Beam)
    [​IMG]
    A transient high tension (25,000 V) occurs at the bulb sockets of the high intensity discharge (HID) lamps when the combination light switch is turned ON, it may cause serious electrical shock or electrocution if you do not observe the cautions below.

[​IMG]
    • Never turn on the combination light switch before fitting the HID bulbs to their bulb sockets and completing the reassembly of the headlight assembly.
    • Do not service the headlights assembly in wet conditions, such as rain or snow, near a sprinkler system, or when your hands are wet to prevent electrocution.
    • Do not touch the surface of the HID bulbs with your bare hands and do not stain it with any oils and fats.
    • Do not disassemble the inverter unit and the igniter unit.
    • Do not turn on the HID bulb by using a power source other than the battery mounted on your vehicle.

1. Turn the combination light switch OFF.
    1. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0).
    1. Do the battery terminal disconnection procedure.
    1. Remove the screw from the inner fender, and pull the inner fender back.
    1. Turn the cover (A) 45 ° counterclockwise to remove it from the headlight assembly.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A

1. Turn the bulb socket (A) 45 ° counterclockwise to remove it from the bulb (B).
      Headlight: 35 W
    1. Pull the retaining spring (C) away from the bulb then remove the bulb.
    1. Install a new bulb in the reverse order of removal. Make sure the notches in the bulb align with the tabs in the headlight.
    1. Install the parts in the reverse order of removal.
    1. Do the battery terminal reconnection procedure.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A
    B
    C

Front Turn Signal Light
    1. Remove the screw from the inner fender, and pull the inner fender cover back.
    1. Disconnect the 2P connector (A) from the front turn signal light.
      Front Turn Signal Light: 21 W
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A

Front Position Light
    1. To replace a bulb on the left side for K24Z3 engine model, undo the fasteners (A) and remove the air intake cover (B) and duct (C). To replace a bulb on the right side, remove the engine coolant reservoir tank by pulling it up of it stay.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A
    B
    C

1. Disconnect the 2P connector (A) from the front turn signal light.
      Front Position Light: 5 W
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A

Taillight
    1. Open the trunk lid, and remove the trunk side trim panel.
    1. Disconnect the connectors (A) from the lights.
      Brake Lights/Taillights: 21/5 W
      Rear Turn Signal Light: 21 W
    1. Turn the bulb socket (B) 45 ° counterclockwise to remove the bulb (C).
    1. Install new bulb(s) in the reverse order of removal.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Inner Taillight
    1. Open the trunk lid, and remove the trunk trim panel.
    1. Disconnect the connector (A) from the light.
      Rear Fog Light or Back-up Light: 21 W
    1. Turn the bulb socket (B) 45 ° counterclockwise to remove the bulb (C).
    1. Install new bulb in the reverse order of removal.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A
    B
    C
    - - - Updated - - -
    That lot refers to 8th Generation's, sorry no pictures

3. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Thanks for the reply John. A pity about the lack of pictures.

After finding a 'YouTube' film I went out with renewed determination, Only to discover that someone in the past had changed the bulbs to a different kind. The new bulbs have two fixed cables, which went through a hand cut groove in the bottom of the casing and went to connectors, before a small box ( I imaging its the ballast ) With a BIG warning about 25000V, and the the wiring snakes off into the unknown. As for the bulb holder, it seems to have two spring connectors, one on each side of the bulb. The nearest one unclips easily, but the far one seems to have a mind of its own. The question is, is this type of bulb easy to get hold of, or do I have to replace bulb and ballast? Or would it be better/possible to revert to the original set up?

Regards

LB

4. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    I'd expect your car to have factory HIDs so at some stage a ballast must've been replaced with an aftermarket one if it doesn't look like factory equipment. it'd be easy to say revert it to factory kit but the cost of that must've been the overriding factor in the first place when this was installed in its place.

if you don't have factory HIDs, simply remove everything from the bulb, back to what would look like the original bulb connector ensuring the lamp still has spring connectors to secure an original bulb in place.

5. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Hi qc2 Thanks for the reply.

I think this may be a job for an electrician, as, looking closely, I could see an empty white connector fixed to the inside of the lamp housing, floating about outside are two white connectors which come a couple of inches out of a loom ( they won't reach the inbuilt connector) but the wires from the ballast(?) disappear in the opposite direction. When I get more time I'll take some pics.

LB

6. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It kinda sounds like an aftermarket HID kit has been fitted... The easiest way to get at everything, is to drop the front bumper... there's very little room to access the headlights from within the engine bay, with diesels having a lot less room than the VTECs. There's a tread around here some where from about 12 months ago, where some of us posted pics to compare the available space when I was attempting to replace bulbs... I also had an aftermarket HID kit to fit... but decided against it in the end as it involved cutting/drilling a hole in the cover to pass wires through.

If you drop the front bumper down, rest it on something to avoid it being scratched and then remove the entire headlight, and swap out all the bulbs at the same time like I did... I fitted LED side lights and new H1's or was it H3's and mains... I remember that both mains and high use the same bulbs, which surprised me.

Something I shall probably be doing once again to the new one I may be getting this weekend.

andy83 likes this.
  7. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Hello Heckler, thanks for that. Unfortunately I can only work in the street, and the idea of dropping the bumper etc., is not something I think I could do without a driveway/garage. Is it more likely to be the bulb that's at fault or the ballast?

LB

8. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    So, I took my car to the electrician, after much effort they removed the bulb, which, it turned out, had melted it's base and the surrounding area. I was told that the headlight unit had been 'adjusted' and would no longer take the original bulb. So, as the bulb/kit was unnamed I have been advised to buy a new HID kit and they would try to fit it. I hope so, Ebay replacement headlamp units are not too cheap.

9. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I have seen a few heat sinks that have been made to try and alleviate the heat from bulbs melting the headlight, they are usually aluminium that has been bent to offer the maximum surface area to air inside the headlight and sit on the flange of the bulb. There is plenty of space inside the headlight itself to accommodate one if needed.

10. LostBoke Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Phil Pill
    Hi Bounder, thanks for the reply. That's interesting, I'll have a search for them.