Guides DIY hazy side mirror fix

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by simonis89, Sunday 25th Mar, 2018.

1. simonis89 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Simonas Utena
    My passenger side mirror's auto dimming layer has been faulty since I bought the car.

Tried to search for mirror plates, but couldn't find any except the full mirror assemblies with housings. Wich I don't need.

So I decided to fix it myself.

I detached the mirror plate from the housing. It is pretty easy - you just put the mirror in the upper position and put the flat
    screwdriver or a small flat trim removal tool under the mirror and it just pops out - no wonder car part thieves are stealing the mirrors from Lexuses and Porsches in huge numbers in my country.

20180325_192216.

The dimming film is located between the mirror glass and the front glass.
    20180325_194350. 20180325_194454.

Mine became oxidized because the hermetic on the side of the mirror plate assembly was damaged.

To fix this I had to separate the two glasses using a sharp blade.

20180325_194756. 20180325_194811.

You can observe the gooey material on the mirror - that's the dimming film.

To remove it I used paper towels soaked in acetone-free nail polish remover (organic solvent)

After a thorough cleaning the mirror is as good as new (minus the auto dimming feature, of course :Grin: )

20180325_195831.

To avoid the small space between the frame and the mirror glass after removing the front glass, I used a thin rubber tape on the inside of the mirror frame thus achieving the kind of a hermetic seal.

20180325_201939.
    20180325_202110.

And the mirror is fixed.

Sincerely,
    Simonas R.

v6Echo, vincemince, andy83 and 2 others like this.
  2. Lotofrot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Freddie Barnet
    Great Thanks. Mine are awful on a 07 and Honda want £180 per mirror.
    Will bookmark your suggestions. Paul

3. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great looking repair. I have a milky/cloudy mirror which I have read elsewhere is common. Anyone know if that is the dimming film as well?

4. simonis89 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Simonas Utena
    Hello.
    You can try to remove the dimming film, it won't hurt. If it's the dimming film, you will save yourself a nice buck. But it could also be the oxidized silver mirror coat on the back of the mirror glass in which case you should buy a new one.

Sincerely,
    Simonas R.

5. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Malcolm B Queenborough
    Mine on the nearside is going hazy/milky and I've assumed it's the glass silvering itself deteriorating. It's difficult to see reversing in the dark especially.

The auto-dimming seems to work still ok

I've ordered a replacement glass ( mirror ) from a local UK supplier which is cut to fit. I sent them a template of the mirror glass shape . About £22 delivered ..... Honda wanted i think over £200 for the glass mirror alone !

Being fitted this week, I'll let you know how it all goes.

Malc

6. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Look forward to hearing. Thanks. Sounds like a good option. Probably two thirds of the face of my passenger mirror went milky three or four years ago and hasn't deteriorated further. I can still make out what's behind me so definitely not in the market for a £200 replacement. If it had been the driver's side I may have been tempted to splash the cash. In the meantime, prompted by you I did some research on Amazon and invested a tenner on a stick on wide angle replacement mirror which they claim is the same for the Legend as the 1st Generation Jazz?

7. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ah ok, I couldn't find a replacement on line so I ordered a bespoke cut stick-on one .... I'll let you know if it fits and does the job ok. My indy mechanic who does all my work drew the template knowing that it's him who is going to fix it on. So he must have measured it right eh !

I'll keep you posted.

If yours for a tenner does the job then well done

Malc

8. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

just had my replacement glass fitted ( stick-on ) and all seems fine, it's NOT dimmed glass though but I can live with that to save the £180+

Malc

9. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great news because the cheap Amazon mirror was too small. Would do in an emergency as it covers about 80% of the glass area so if if you could be so kind as to send me a personal message about your glass supplier that seems to be the way to go.

Saw a black Legend today with brake calipers painted yellow. Hmmmmm.
    Thanks

10. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I can do that but noticed there's a supplier in Folkestone ( on-line ) that says it can supply the mirror glass for the 4th Generation Legend

Can't remember the name but if you wanted to phone them first that might be useful !

Let me know

Malc

11. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK, it's CAR DOOR MIRROR SHOP in Wembley 0208 810 8586 cost £20.49 incl postage etc and I bought it last December ( taken this long to fit, sorry )

You maybe will have to draw a template of the mirror your want. The skill of the drawing will reflect on the product exactness supplied. I have a very slight gap at the top left corner but it's hardly noticeable, my guy's drawing of the template no doubt :lol: !

It seems to work fine. It's GREAT to be able to see what's on my nearside at long last !

Malc

12. Malcolm B Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Guys, just noticed this past month that the offside/driver's side door-mirror glass is just starting to lightly mist.

Guess it's a winter away from ordering a replacement glass from these same people

Malc