General Dodgy Accord for sale? Perhaps one to avoid

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Friday 3rd Aug, 2018.

1. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In my searches for a replacement for mine, I came across this one on Autotrader

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...vertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&page=1

Now at first glance... it might not look so bad.

But when you start looking into it's MOT history... there's something very dodgy about it.

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Last year it sailed through it's MOT on March 1st.

It then fails it's MOT in July of the same year.

Now... there's only one reason that a car 'requires' a new MOT just a couple of months later... and that's because it's been in an accident and has been put back on the road.

Yet the seller is claiming that it's Cat C/D/N/S clear. If it was 'unrecorded' accident damage/repair... then it wouldn't have required a brand new MOT as the insurance wasn't involved.

What then jumps out at you as you look at the MOT failure list... is the sheer number of fails and advisories that have accrued in those short few months. It's gone from having a couple of advisaries on low tread on a couple of tyres to having almost all of the front suspension bushes failing or advised to repair, battery unsecure, wipers not clearing properly Serious shock absorber leaks and obstructions within headlights.

All of that allegedly happened within less than 3000 miles between March-July.

Now I know it's possible... but very, very unlikely given that I've had advisories on my car for similar things regarding bushes on the front lower/upper arms and they don't magically appear out of nowhere.

My gut feeling is that this has had some kind of accident, and until you do a proper HPI check for anything... you've only got the 'dealers' word that the card is cat CDSN clear... My instinct tells me that this car was repaired and given a fresh MOT.

It's also listed with a discrepency in the mileage with the dealer knocking a few thousand of what the MOT has recorded.

I was going to shortlist this one as having potential... Now I think I'll steer well clear.

The moral of this story... ALWAYS check the MOT history... and if you have concerns, walk away.

2. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
  3. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Those links to Autotrader redirect me to Viglink.

4. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just tried the link and it went direct to the car in question.... You may want to check your device for potential malware that can redirect you.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Yeah, I saw that one up on autotrader too... But they're masking the reg so you can't run your own checks.... Sneaky and devious in my book.

5. Bounder Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    All those Honda approved car dealers do that! I was looking at an 8th Generation Type-S and it has the same thing.

6. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If I can't do my own independent checks, there's no way I'm wasting my time travelling to look at a car... That one is in Portsmouth which is at least 120 miles each way. At the moment I'm just checking prices so I know how much more I need to save and what I can realistically afford. It's looking more and more like an 08 plate 7th Generation... with the possibility of a 58 plate 8th Generation (but only If it doesn't have a DPF and I can't confirm if they do or not at the moment).

Of course there's a strong possibility that I'll go a 2 or 2.4 Alfa 159 JTDM (170 or 210 BHP) if my research is positive. Those 2 are the top of my list... but I have plenty of reserve cars should I not be able to find the right one in time

7. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

personally I think that your looking too much into it, though unless an HPI check and that throws up some flags, it could be just a dealer putting a fresh MOT on for a customer. However all that work could be one of two things, a dodgy MOT tester looking for work that doesn't need doing, or its previous MOT was not done properly. As long as the car has those parts evidently replaced if you go to look at it, and everything works as it should and looks straight, I don't see a problem.

Bounder likes this.
  8. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's ringing alarm bells for me, so I'd be steering well clear of it... let some one else take the risk. I'm seeing some real dodgy ones out there... cars that are 1000-1500 over priced to begin with when compared with identical models with similar mileage... Some that are priced higher than 8th Generation EX's with only a difference of 10-20k on the clocks.

If I wanted a saloon... I could literally go out and buy one tomorrow as they're that common... But a decent Tourer EX seems to be harder to find.

I'm finding the same thing with the Alfa 159 sportwagon... Average prices with 80-120k on the clock in the 19, 20 & 2.4 diesel are between 2-5k for a 2007-2010... Yet you have sellers asking 8-9k for a 2lt or 1.9lt with 80-90k on the clock... That's at least 4k over priced to begin with on cars that aren't that uncommon.

I'm starting to remember why I hate looking for cars and why I keep them as long as possible.

At this rate I'm just going to look for something under 2k that ticks all of the boxes and not be that bothered if it's got 140k on the clock.

Harvey likes this.
  9. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fair enough mate, I'll be honest mine doesn't have the cleanest MOT history (LB53 EPV) if you have a look, but that turned out fine for me, and it was priced at a grand, admittedly it was cosmetically rough, but the mechanicals checked out all right, and I've had it since December '16 with only an anti roll bar link and now an ABS sensor to really replace in that time.

andy83 likes this.
  10. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not expecting perfection... But I've bought my share of lemons in the past or had enough close calls with them to be... overly cautious. I want a certain level of trim (EX) and know they're gonna be harder to find. When I bought my current one it wasn't in the greatest condition with plenty of stone chips and light scuffs around the door handles (people with large rings probably) and it's only gotten worse since as it had a front knock by some one who buggered off afterwards and of course the minor accident last summer that was repaired.

But I do want one in better condition than mine was when I bought it... I was going to look at one with 140k on the clock this Friday... until I blew up the pics and noticed that they've tried to hide a large dent in the bumper that's bad enough to have cracked it all the way around the passenger side parking sensor. You can see the sensor is sitting at an angle. So that's another one of the equation as a new bumper and paint job is at least 300 and the cars not expensive to begin with... I'd probably be able to get it for £300 + mine if they were willing to do that kind of deal... But it would need a lot spending.... and that's gotta be factored into the price in my book.

I'm getting a little frustrated with what I see as deceptive and dishonest practices... One potential car I was looking is immediately discount by some dodgy reviews of the seller... typical chancer, artur daly type if you know what I mean.

I'll keep saving, and keep looking... Eventually I'll find something... and I'm even considering the Skoda Superb now too... that's been on the wanted list for about 6yrs. I was going to buy one, but it had a dodgy gearbox and then the next one I was going to buy (before the Accord) had the dodgy PD engine that's know to go bang due to a faulty oil pump design... and the CR engined ones were out of my price range... but are now starting to come into the 3-4k range for some.

Hell... I'd even go for a Mini Clubman Cooper S if the right one at the right price came along... I had an original 74 Clubman estate in beige with brown pinstriping and no brakes.... loved that car though, drove like it was on rails.

Harvey likes this.
  11. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I understand where you are coming from, I guess though I have been lucky with my used car purchases, and I've not had a total basket case of a motor vehicle. You are right though in that there are plenty of crooks out there that try to pass of cars in a pretty poor state as being mint. Mine was sold as being tidy, but it had scuffs on every corner and parking sensors that didn't work properly. I've since replaced both front and rear bumpers. Though I was lucky in that I got them for cheap and the paint jobs where cheap on them too. Rear bumper cost me £130 all in and the front, cost the same. I've had to replace the bumper bars front and back, due to rust, but really cosmetically that's it. Aside from giving the car a good claying and polishing I'm happy.

I do remember the trouble you went through to get the parts due to your accident though.

12. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I never did do everything that I wanted to back then... My front bumper bar is slightly bent and the bumper has a small crack by the inner corner of the headlight. But looking for a bumper on ebay was a nightmare... they're either badly damaged and still asking 100+ or they're undamaged and up for £250+. I gave up in the end and just made do with it as it was. If I've have gone to the extra effort of doing all that back then... I might consider keeping it and getting the control arms done and fixing the leak in the aircon... But that's gonna take more than the cars is probably worth now... Hence the search for it's replacement.

I remember you posting pics of the holes in your bumper bar and how good it looked when finished. If I could pick up a cheap 57-08 plate EX tourer that required some love... I'd consider it if the car had reasonable miles and a full service history.

Harvey likes this.
  13. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I guess its a case of finding the right car and at the right price. and yes that did take some effort in getting the car into a much better shape than when I purchased it. Then again I love tinkering with my motor, though I am not looking forward to having to do an ABS sensor, if its stuck.

Heckler likes this.
  14. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I used to be like that... but I'm now classed as partially disabled and for the last few years I've been unable to really crawl over and under cars. I can still do the basics but even changing a wheel is a struggle for me now.. or if I can do it, will leave me suffering for a couple of days afterwards as the slightest bit of lifting and straining plays havoc with my shoulder... as does any kind of bending. So I have to factor in how much it will cost to get a garage to do these things now, and that's around £70p/h labour alone.

Harvey likes this.
  15. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

True, garages are not cheap either. But Nighthawk was a true gent getting your motor up and running again though.

I can appreciate how much of a hassle that is for you, even if my slightly niggle of a twing in my back if I'm bent over the engine etc too long

16. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nighthawk has gone above and beyond to help... he sorted out of lack of power and lumpy idle in 2016 by cleaning the EGR valve and 3 sensors. He then came back a year later and helped me do a couple of small jobs that required the removal of the front bumper... and we changed all the bulbs at the same time as the mains were very dim. Then a few days later I had that minor accident and he popped round and helped me asses the car, he crawled underneath to see if there was any structural damage (there wasn't, just a slight scuff where the kerb caught the undertray) and removed the now damaged undertray (it was split and I had to rip part of it off to stop is dragging on the drive home). Then when I'd sourced all the parts he came round and fitted them... whilst I mostly passed tools, or held things and made the drinks.

He did all of that, refused any kind of payment (I think I eventually talked him into taking a large box of biscuits for the family to munch on) whilst he wasn't in the best of health himself. I learnt so much just watching and whilst I may not be able to do some of them myself... I can try to pass on that knowledge to others where possible.

Anyway.. back to cars.

I've got a hankering for a jag again... You can find a fully loaded one with 80k on the clock on a 57 to 09 plate for less that 3k and up to 4k. I know it's a mondeo underneath... But my dad always wanted one and I kinda feel the urge to get one in his memory... even if it proves to be a bit of a lemon... and they're pre DPF aside from the 09 plates.

Harvey likes this.
  17. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My step dad just got a 2.8 V6 diesel Jag XF and must say its a lovely car to be in though. Deffo not a Mondeo, as that was the X-Type

18. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm look at the X-type... Can't afford the XF... there are no manuals at all... looks like they're auto only and nothing under 5K with less than 150k or there abouts

Harvey likes this.
  19. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Heckler likes this.
  20. Heckler Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have looked at them, but they're all saloons and I want either a tourer or hatchback... and they're not really 'manual' either... More like an auto with the ability to use a 4 gear selector to one side. My dad had a Mazda 3 back in 07 that had a similar type of box and it was dreadful on fuel compared to a proper manual.

If I get one, it will be an X-type.... it's the only possible car that has what I want... At least I know what to look out for with them though... at least in the shared components with the old mondeo... Which is a lot, right down to the satnav system... which is actually quite good I recall.