General ECU fly by wire reset

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Steven9233, Sunday 8th Apr, 2018.

1. Steven9233 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom steve Southampton
    Interesting for KB1 owners that may not know! New battery fitted , lost auto windows memory seats and so on, reset all that and stumbled across comments (google ) about resetting the ECU fly by wire , turn ignition on to position 2 , accelerator down to floor 30 secs ignition off but leaving key in . Apparently this erases all learnings that car and gearbox had about drive by style - maybe my imagination but the car is super responsive now and seems to shift better - no complaints before but DEF seems better !! Try it . For 30 seconds effort seems a good thing to do ! Any one else tried this ? Is it my imagination ? Thought I’d share .

Nels likes this.
  2. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Captain East Sussex
    Yes indeed. I do it perhaps once a month. Round my way, there is so much traffic now that I travel most of commute at around 20 to 30 mph. The car never really gets above 3000 RPM where the fun starts, so the gearbox goes to sleep. Of course, I like to let it off the leash now and then, but the opportunities to do so are getting scarce. Following the re-set, the gearbox will kick down a gear at lower torque levels and feels much perkier. When, after a while of plodding around I need to floor it into the carpet to wake the gearbox up, then I know it's time for a re-set.

3. Steven9233 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom steve Southampton
    Thanks for that ! I started to think it was my imagination ! Car felt so lethargic compared to what I remembered , I drive like an old lady most of the time . After doing this I too noticed gear changed early if overtaking . Due to the fact no confirmation of reset like a dash light or something I started to doubt my own senses. Recently started to consider changing the car due to my low mileage yet huge tax amebic fuel cost of then legend , told myself a Civic 1.8 would be a much better idea, test drive a 2011 si 5 door , perfectly nice car but within 50ft realised I couldn’t part with the legend. I will also rest once a month wish I’d known before .
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks for that ! I started to think it was my imagination ! Car felt so lethargic compared to what I remembered , I drive like an old lady most of the time . After doing this I too noticed gear changed early if overtaking . Due to the fact no confirmation of reset like a dash light or something I started to doubt my own senses. Recently started to consider changing the car due to my low mileage yet huge tax and fuel cost of the legend , told myself a Civic 1.8 would be a much better idea, test drive a 2011 si 5 door , perfectly nice car but within 50ft realised I couldn’t part with the legend. I will also rest once a month wish I’d known before .

4. captain trumpy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Captain East Sussex
    I forgot to mention that, when you do the re-set, at around 20 seconds the engine managment light will flash a few times and then go out. My assumption is this shows that the ECU has accepted the re-set.