Bulletins & Advisories EGR Pipe Crack. Accord i-DTEC 8th Generation Accord Warranty Extension

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 2nd Nov, 2011.

1. jwramsay Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Read the whole thread now, should I be asking my dealer about Window seal and Airbag recalls that have never been mentioned to me?

2. mcd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello everyone.
    Job done.
    The pipe was already welded - I bought the cars second hand from Italy ... don't know why the Italian welded it maybe didn't know about the TSB.
    Anyway they welded it good also painted the welded part with special paint for extra protection.
    Drove in high traffic home and can not tell how it is, but I see no difference so far. Will report back.
    If it breaks again (hope not) I will order the new pipe...guess the price will drop until then or I will never need it. :Smile:

3. Naeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    Other night whilst driving then comming to standstill in car park , noticed unusual smell comming whilst slightly window open .
    Having a quick visual around , noticed a puff of smoke by passenger headlight. Lifted bonnet up and noticed passenger side area with puff of smoke .
    I do hear slightly an air leakage sound when revving from same area and want to investigate where smoke is comming from and air sound.
    Any suggestion or advice what this could be ?

Where is the exact location of this EGR flex pipe so I can firstly eliminate this before doing other checks ?

Any procedure or photos will be much appreciate from members .

Accord 2008 8th Generation , 2.2 I-DTEC

4. Naeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any chance you can provide step by step guide to fit this pipe?

Time taken to do job?

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That is one of the reasons many of us have a Honda!

accord1108 and andy83 like this.
  6. mcd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Guess that guy is very skilled - see my comment. The pipe is very inaccessible.
    Btw the engine now seems louder to me and I feel vibrations from it idling. I'm not sure if it was that way...maybe I did not pay attention before.
    I did sound and vibration insulation on the front doors...I will do the rear ones too soon. I have the console insulated too.

7. Paul Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Phone call from Wakefield Honda today to say Honda will cover it under warranty for full parts and labour. The part has been ordered and should be in this week. They’ll contact me and arrange to collect my car. Excellent service as always.

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Smashing news Paul. Glad it's getting dealt with for you.

Paul likes this.
  9. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in responding, been away from the forum for a while.
    In all i was about 8 hours doing this, but at that took my time, didn't rush. Im sure Honda mechanics would be much faster.

Regarding a step by step guide, i didn't take photos as i done the job, should have for here.
    I started this job on the assumption that the coolant hadn't to be drained, or was advised by the Honda parts guy that it hadn't, i will get to why it is required down further.

1. Drain coolant,
    2. Remove air filter box assembly.
    3. Loosen the fuse box, thats at the back of the air filter unit, push out of way.
    4.. Theres like a wiring harness, enclosed in a plastic conduit, held in place along side the engine, this is held with a number of bolts, remove these, also there is some plugs or connections off this that have to be disconnected, prior to unplugging these, i disconnected the battery.
    5. The main air inlet pipe to the engine has to be removed, runs front to back, this is an aluminium pipe, held with 4 bolts, towards the back of the engine, theres a rubber pipe fitted onto this, remove, and then remove the 4 bolts. The gasket towards the top middle of the picture is for this pipe, where its held to a butterfly/throttle valve
    6.. You will now have access to the heat shield, and can remove the bolts holding it, but it fouled on a coolant manifold, so this has to be removed, maybe one could bend the shield and get it out, but i couldn't see any other means but draining and doing as i done, the two seals at bottom of picture are for this manifold.
    7. Remove the two nuts at the front and two bolts at the back holding the pipe.
    8. there maybe a few smaller coolant pipes which require removal also

My outline isn't exact, or of great detail, but once you go at the job its logical enough what is required, on the other hand if getting someone to do it, id like to know that there fairly confident and exact in their work,don't take shortcuts, parts removed and refitted correctly, with this job there was a few niggly bits, that some may not give the time

I did find a thread on a german forum which showed an image with all parts removed and the EGR pipe in position, i will try and find it.

The following shows the replacement kit, on mine it had cracked on one of those raised ribs.
    The pipe as per below shows the orientation on the engine, held with the two nuts at the front and bolts at the back. I was lucky removing these, in that they removed easily, the heads on them were partly gone, if at them be sure that you have the socket square on them, because if it slips, space/access is limited to look at alternative means to get them out! This would be my only real concern at this job,

Hopefully this is of some help
    06187rl0305.

DavetBear likes this.
  10. Naeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thankyou

11. jwramsay Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got this done on Monday at Honda Dealer for free & gratis thanks to this thread.

It was commented that due to by car being AUTO it took much longer than expected.

Thanks again to this group for the info about the 7 year warranty!

12. Naeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Done it over weekend ,took tick over 2 hours to do.
    Dealer quoted just over £265 for pipe and gasket and bolts however Cox motor parts Genuine £199.95 delivered next day with all kit included.

I did not remove strut brace however if removed it does help in moving fuse box around.
    once air box out and fuse box out of way everything is easily accesabile.Only part was slightly difficult undoing was aluminium intake pipe connected with 4 bolts at back.
    Magnetic pick tool does come handy sometimes.
    Another good tell tale sign of this pipe faulty is build up of black soot just under the aluminium pipe.

I agree engine does seem more louder then before as one member posted here.

13. imkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Norway Hamar
    How much worse is this job on an Automatic transmission vs Manual car?

14. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    I don't know what took me near 8 hours so :Smile:, got mine off hold croft 169 delivered to Ireland.