Engine & Gearbox EML on - What is it? How do I fix it?

Discussion in 'Honda N-Series' started by Heckler, Friday 1st Sep, 2017.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've had this intermittent EML code pop up, it happens every 3-4 months and once cleared doesn't return for the next 3-4 months... it always happened during more extreme weather conditions... so I'd kind of attributed it to that as once cleared it stayed cleared.

But in the last 36hrs it's returned and won't stay cleared... returning almost immediately.

It doesn't seem to affect the engine performance which is as quick and smooth as it normally is. Doesn't seem to affect MPG's either as I've been averaging 39-40mpg around town for the last 6 months or more.

My OBDII reader gives me this info

So is this likely to be a faulty sensor as I think a valve stuck open would cause bigger issues.

2017-09-01 13.33.42.

But more importantly... how to fix it without resorting to paying Honda prices... I'm still putting the car back on the road after an accident last month and the last thing I can afford is more repair bills as the insurance money is all but spent now (had house repairs that needed doing too). If it's going to be expensive... it could be the end of the car as it's now classed as Cat-D.

Would be a shame to let this be the end.. but economics may have to take precedent.

2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Heckler likes this.
  3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

OK, from the searching I've done... frequency solenoid valve could be the culprit... current price for the part is £160 on lings or £122 on cox... will call HH on monday to compare. According to Nighthawk it's on the top of the IM under the engine cover, so should be easy to do... I might even be able to do it myself.

andy83 likes this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate hope you can get it sorted :Thumbup:...

5. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ordered the part from HH, was going to get it from cox motor parts as it was £23 cheaper than HH... but the part listed on there is for the FL model and they don't have the PFL art listed... so had to get it from HH and inc club discount it was just short of £145.

So it's being fixed, but it means I have to scale back on a couple of other things to do with the repairs... I'm not going to be re-gassing the aircon any time soon... but summer is almost over anyway and it only struggles when temps hit over 24-25º. It also means that any hope I had of picking up a replacement bumper isn't happening either... I can live with the one I've got, it's got some slight damage to it, but it's ok.

Accord_N22 and andy83 like this.
  6. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

New FSV fitted this morning, code cleared and now we see if it comes back.

andy83 likes this.