Engine & Gearbox Engine help needed

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by Asgardian, Tuesday 7th Aug, 2018.

1. Asgardian New Member Getting Started

Scotland Scotty St Andrews
    Hi
    So, heres the issue. Car is fine when cold, but as temp needle nears halfway point it begins to struggle after 1500rpm, then it just stops going beyond that like its hitting a rev limiter. At that point temp needle will go 3/4s of the way up, so I have to stop for a few minutes and it drops down for a while until it hits the same temperature and starts all over again.
    On advice of a man from the RAC we got a new EGR valve, and when that didnt work, local garage found fault codes and put in a new crank sensor, and a new fuel filter. Problem still persists and they admit they don't know what the cause is, and we could be facing a small fortune in labour costs for them to investigate. It was they who suggested using the internet first in the hope someone somewhere has had this problem too and solved it.
    There is no engine management light and no more fault codes. A second RAC guy suggested the engine (coolant) temp sensor, something I think I can change myself, but Im also worried its the turbo.

2. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    hello mate what engine you running in this Civic...

3. Asgardian New Member Getting Started

Hi
    1.7 cdti

4. Asgardian New Member Getting Started

Managed to resolve this and it only cost £6. On a whim, instead of trusting looking at the coolant from the outside where the markings are I removed the cap and looked inside. It was empty. Once I filled it with coolant no more limp mode.
    Im surprised the so called experts didnt bother to do that. I guess after years of use the coolant dyes the tank and makes it look full.
    I have to say kudos to Isuzu for making an engine that ran dry without siezing.

5. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate just keep a check on your coolant for a bit..

6. Asgardian New Member Getting Started

Aye. There been no pools under the car so far. Going to take to another garage and get them to check the system in case of leaks. can't believe we spent £500 on stuff we didnt need.

7. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate thing is some never check the basic which seems daft a bit of common sense can count for a lot...