Engine & Gearbox Engine Oil Specification For DPF (i-DTEC)

Discussion in 'Honda N-Series' started by Service News, Thursday 3rd Nov, 2011.

1. imkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Norway Hamar
    I use Mobil 1 ESP 0w-30, don't know about the Honda Diesel Oil, but Mobil 1 is good stuff!

Sent fra min D6503 via Tapatalk

andy83 likes this.
  2. FirstHonda Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Support British industry and use Morris oils.

My previous Honda dealer used them, and they have a good reputation as far as I can tell.

https://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/

Back Brexit. Buy British.

andy83 likes this.
  3. LanDi Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom chris liverpool
    Videos have been updated, now cold start comparison between 10w 30, 5w 30, and 0w 30 in previous post.

i-DSI likes this.
  4. mchu6am4 New Member Getting Started

New to this forum and need some advice... My Civic 2.2 diesel 2012 I-DTEC is due for servicing in months time and i was wondering what oil to buy... I've purchased Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30 last year but find it's quite expensive!

My Civic has done 77k and I do about 10k a year...

I was interested in Lubetech oil but not sure as I've never heard of the brand although the gallon/packaging looks very similar to original Honda engine oil!

Any suggestions most welcome as well as any discount codes... My Mrs Civic 2010 I-CDTI is also due a service so could use the same oil if cost effective.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mchu6am4 likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You can use the I-DTEC spec oil in the I-CTDI but not the other way round.

Using the wrong oil in your engine will cause you DPF problems as well as EGR issues.
    See the first post of this thread for details

mchu6am4 and andy83 like this.
  7. CristianGaspar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    Hey guys,

Just got an 8th Generation Accord 2.2 I-DTEC from Germany. It was only serviced in the dealership, and I see that the last oil they used was 5W30 (about 2000 km ago).
    Based on what I`m reading here, I got a bit scared. Should I immediately change the oil to a compatible 0W30?

andy83 likes this.
  8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello mate safest would be go for 0w30 and make sure it ok with DPF here is a chart

Attached Files:

CristianGaspar likes this.
  9. CristianGaspar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    Not sure where my engine falls in that chart. This makes it hard for me to read it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

10. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate on chart look at where the 2.2 is in the Accords and its 0w30..
    Thanks
    Andy

11. CristianGaspar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    Got it, thanks!

andy83 likes this.
  12. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Hi.
    I would not rush out and change the oil yet. What has been used is also specified in the owners manual. The spec was changed few years ago from 5w30 to 0w30. Honda Lincoln were going to fill mine with 5w30 until I told them this. That said I would do another 4k kilometres then change it, however I would check for your part of the world as I believe it gets cold and that can make a difference to the oil specified as long as it's DPF compatible
    John

andy83 and CristianGaspar like this.
  13. CristianGaspar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    Well, it does get cold here (around -20 / -25 in the winter). In this case do you think it would be better for the engine to work on 5W30?
    I`ll do some more research on my own.

14. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Cristian.
    Maybe get in contact with Honda Poland and seek their advise. This is a copy from Honda UK:-

Thank you for your reply.
    Please accept my sincere apologies over any inconvenience caused by the previous e-mail.
    The following statement:
    "What our colleagues from Honda Lincoln have advised is true and 5w/30 is one of the two recommended oils. The other recommended oil is 0W-30. The difference between the two oils is that 5w/30 would perform better at temperatures below -20 °C."
    should have been written down as:
    "What our colleagues from Honda Lincoln have advised is true and 5w/30 is one of the two recommended oils. The other recommended oil is 0W-30. The difference between the two oils is that OW-30 would perform better at temperatures below -20 °C."
    Again, please accept my sincere apologies over this typo and I thank you for bringing it up.
    Thank you for contacting Honda. If there is anything else we can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
    Kind Regards,
    Georgi Draganov
    Honda Customer Service

So in future 0W-30 is the way to go even in Poland.

John

andy83 and CristianGaspar like this.
  15. CristianGaspar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Poland CristianG Krakow
    Thanks ks for the confirmation. Some online digging got me to the same conclusion.

andy83 likes this.
  16. gazm25 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Fakenham
    Hi all, I've introduced my self on the newcomers thread. I have just bought a 2011 accord with the2.2 I-DTEC engine. It has 100,000 miles and stamped up by Honda. What worries me is that the last stamp is by the car shop. I have read about the EXOL FULLY SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL 0W/30 LOW SAPS ACEA C2 DPF FRIENDLY. Any advice on where to get it from and about changing the oil and filter. Anything else I need to do considering who serviced it last?
    Please be gentle :happycrying:

17. John Hamer Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Direct from Lubetec, request the discount code from Mods on here.

18. i-DSI Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Gazm, welcome.
    Hard to advice if we or you (?) do not know exactly what the last workshop did. Is the car on SvRS (Service Reminder System)?
    For the I-DTEC, the most specific maintenance is the oil (as you know: 0W30 C2/C3, fully synthetic).

19. gazm25 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Fakenham
    Thank you all for your welcome and advice.
    I spoke to Honda UK and the Honda garage that serviced it. Think I will start off at a Honda garage with a full service, 100k. Then change the oil myself every 6k as I do 2500 miles a month.

Unless any of you can advise me otherwise about what to get done at Honda and do the easy stuff myself. Honda did say it was due a coolant change?

20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Get yourself a vacuum oil extractor. You can then change oil and filter from above - A really simple job.

1 Only use genuine Honda ready mixed coolant.
    2 Either ensure you can catch/collect all the old coolant when you drain the system, or get the dealer or trusted indie to do it.

andy83 likes this.