Exhaust System EX-GT 2.2i-dtec dpf issues

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Azzaaaaaaa, Monday 16th Apr, 2018.

1. Azzaaaaaaa Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Aaron Stoke-on-Trent
    Hi guys, just joined having come from a 1st Generation fabia vrs (skoda), I've had this gen 8 ex gt for near 2 months and it's on its second DPF check system (!) warning in a month. I'm getting no standard regen message just the take me to Honda one. Car is at 61k so it's not excessive mileage. I've read there are ECU updates that could fix this (it's a 59 plate), what should I investigate in fixing this, at the minute it's booked back in with Honda for the DPF cleaning solution and another forced regen, I just want it all sorted whilst it's under warranty!

Any experiences with DPF issues people would like to share to give me an idea of what's been done and what worked/didn't work.

2. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Hi.
    Had a similar issue last year, just over 100k then no warning DPF light on. Forced regen by Honda Lincoln, 120 miles later DPF light on again a free regen which lasted about 80 miles. Honda's answer that will be £1500 for a new DPF-simple. My car is on a 58 plate and also had a ECU update which didn't sort the problem. Went to a local indie garage who offered the following:- OEM DPF fitted for £1000, none OEM for £800 both with 12 warranty but the option I went for was DPF removal and clean, refit and with a life time warranty only pay for removal and refit labour. So far some 3k miles both town and motorway with no issues after clean. The cleaning was carried out in I believe Glasgow by a subsidiary of European car parts.

At no point did Honda offer a clean.

John

3. Azzaaaaaaa Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So they didn't offer to put any solution in for you? Theyve said they're going to clean mine out, which if it works then great, I assume it's had the ECU updates but I will check on that. Presumably a new DPF would be under warranty, especially at 2 months after buying! Is there anything I should be asking and checking with them? I read in one post they reset the zero position for matter in the DPF which I don't want done as it hides the issue, it doesn't fix anything.

4. Racy Jace Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Jason Dudley, UK
    I had to get my DPF removed when I had the asccord. The government are clamping down on this now so I can't recommend it. I had no warning message either but it was caused by just a few weeks of short journeys. Annoyingly my friends diesel nissan Note has been going about 8 years now without DPF issues and only does about 6k a year. Hopefully Honda have improved their DPF tech and fixed these issues on the newer cars.

5. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @Racy Jace .
    As mentioned my is Accord is an 08/09 with just over 100k mile before any issue, so far 3k since the clean with no issues.

Racy Jace likes this.
  6. Azzaaaaaaa Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've had the car back tonight, new master cylinder for the clutch pedal squeak and a DPF solution clean. Apparently it smoked the street out . We shall see now how long this lasts, I'm hoping it at least asks for a normal regen now and again not straight to take me to Honda mode!

7. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @Azzaaaaaaa
    I read somewhere, but B****ed if I can find it again, that it goes straight to forced regen mode (Honda mode).

8. imkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Norway Hamar
    My DPF lamp came on at 134000km, a regen lasted only 2 days. I changed the DPF myself as i am a mechanic, but these cars seems not to be very happy to be driven alot on short journey trips.

9. Azzaaaaaaa Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK so, when revving the engine it's been a bit shaky, almost as if ..

Yep you guessed it. Blocked again.

Tried to accelerate for a dual carriageway and bing, lights back on with the exclamation mark so I've got to take it back to Honda Monday.

This time I'll be asking for a new DPF. I've had the forced regen and acid treatment and that's not worked.

10. Azzaaaaaaa Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So, new DPF fitted monday - had it done under warranty so that's good, should have cost £1000

Car seems much quicker now and more responsive, I shall give it a few tank fulls then report back - I'll know if its better when it asks for a regen and not to take it back to Honda!

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Make sure you use the correct oil and change it at least every 6k.
    If the DPF was blocked, what's the EGR and valve like?

12. Azzaaaaaaa Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Pass, never thought to ask. It's probably worth me getting some EGR cleaner and running that though i imagine.

13. Azzaaaaaaa Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Touch wood I've still not had a regen light come up, I assumed it would have asked for one by now but nothing.